or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › My first attempt at making Maple Breakfast Sausage Links
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My first attempt at making Maple Breakfast Sausage Links

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

This is my first batch of Maple Breakfast Sausage.  I tasted one and it was good.  I added a few pinches of pepper flakes for a little heat. One thing for sure I will buy a dedicated sausage maker TOMORROW.  I did this batch using my Kitchen Aid meat grinder and sausage stuffer.  It worked ok but it was way to labor intensive and slow going for me. I couldn't take pics of the process because I needed both of my hands working ugh.....  As a matter of fact I could have used another pair of hands!  Really missed my Jerry (feeling sad tonight)

:th_crybaby2:

Pics below of my setup.  

 

 

Will definitely make sausage again.......................with NEW equipment :sausage:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 15
Glad you liked your sausages, just wait till ya have a dedicated stuffer, its a lot more fun!!
post #3 of 15
Looks like you did an awesome job!
post #4 of 15

Looks fine. How about more details, like recipe and what casings, any other information you want to share.

 

Chuck

post #5 of 15
Excellent..... I have the Grizzly stuffer... I like it.... order extra O-rings if you get one... they are $1 each..... I haven't needed on yet... I use Crisco to lube the o-ring / canister for easier stuffing...


http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMcG View Post

Glad you liked your sausages, just wait till ya have a dedicated stuffer, its a lot more fun!!


yeah I know it's going to be a lot more fun for sure.  Just had a "sausage tasting party" with my neighbors and they loved my sausage :o)

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshrarebit View Post

Looks like you did an awesome job!


thanks Welshrarebit.  they were really tasty too.

post #8 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovebolt View Post
 

Looks fine. How about more details, like recipe and what casings, any other information you want to share.

 

Chuck


Sure I am always willing to share what little I know LOL.  For the recipe I used Hi Mountain's Country Maple Blend seasoning that I ordered on-line www.himtnjerky.com their phone is (800) 829-2285.  Really nice people to deal with. I loved the flavor of the Country Maple Blend. It has the right amount of sweet which really compliments the pork.  The only thing I added was a few pinches of Aleppo Pepper Flakes.  I love the flavor of Aleppo Pepper flakes.  It doesn't burn your tongue like red pepper flakes - it just adds a nice flavor with a slight amount of heat. I know there are probably a gazillion places out there where you can buy sausage seasonings.  This was my first stab at making sausage.  Think I will stick with this product - was really tasty.  Josie

 

This kit did not come with casings so I ordered some separately

 

I had a "sausage tasty party" with my neighbors on my patio this morning and everyone loved the sausage.  So I guess all was well :o)

I can't wait to try this one next. The larger sausage kits comes with the collagen casings.

 

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Excellent..... I have the Grizzly stuffer... I like it.... order extra O-rings if you get one... they are $1 each..... I haven't needed on yet... I use Crisco to lube the o-ring / canister for easier stuffing...


http://www.grizzly.com/products/5-lb-Sausage-Stuffer-Vertical/H6252


Thanks DaveOmak for this info.  I love this stuffer - ordering one TODAY!  One question does it have to be fastened down to a work table?  What are you using for a meat grinder?  I grind my meat up with my Kitchen Aid meat grinder.  It works pretty well no worries there.  Don't want to purchase another piece of equipment for grinding meat.  Will order extra O-rings as well.

Be Blessed,

 

Josie

post #10 of 15

Dave told you well. Your links look great, For my stuffer I just C-Clamp them down to table or counter top if possible, one day I will make a designated board for drill holes in SHOP Bench, don't want to be a statistic for drilling in the wifes table top LOL 

 

Good luck and congrats on your new toy - you will never look back to that meat grinder stuffer. 

 

DS

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driedstick View Post
 

Dave told you well. Your links look great, For my stuffer I just C-Clamp them down to table or counter top if possible, one day I will make a designated board for drill holes in SHOP Bench, don't want to be a statistic for drilling in the wifes table top LOL 

 

Good luck and congrats on your new toy - you will never look back to that meat grinder stuffer. 

 

DS


Thanks DS.  Please don't be a statistic for drilling holes in the wife's table top.  If you did that I would HELP your wife beat you severely........LOL. I will definitely enjoy my NEW sausage stuffer.

 

Be Blessed,

 

Josie 

post #12 of 15

Looks like you did a great job to me.

 

 

I HAVE to get into stuffing.

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
 

Looks like you did a great job to me.

 

 

I HAVE to get into stuffing.

Thanks Adam.  It was fun watching how everything came together.  The meat was no big deal because I grind my meat products all the time - but using the sausage stuffer with my Kitchen Aid was a pain in the butt.  Waaaaay too much work.  So I am buying a dedicated stuffer.  I am leaning towards that Grizzly Stuffer recommended by DaveOmark.  I am always looking for equipment that make my kitchen chores easier. My sausage was really good - can't wait to get my NEW stuffer and make another batch.  I made 8 lbs of pork sausages LOL....think I got a little carried away!

 

Be Blessed,

 

Josie

P.S.  this is what I am making next

post #14 of 15
I have a old hobart grinder and a old enterprise stuffer. I just need to do it.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post

I have a old hobart grinder and a old enterprise stuffer. I just need to do it.


YUP just do it!!!!!

I have enough sausage in my freezer to last me all winter long......LOL  Now all I need is make some homemade bread.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sausage
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Sausage › My first attempt at making Maple Breakfast Sausage Links