or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › Newbie thread a few weks late. lol
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Newbie thread a few weks late. lol

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi Everyone,

 

So my introduction is a little different.  I found this sight in 2008 when I bought a bullet smoker at a garage sale.  I tried once and it was a terrific disaster.  So I never tried again, though it as aways in the back of my mine until fathers day when My daughters bought me a new smoker.

 

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ59VTO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

 

So about 3 weeks ago I found this site again.  I have been talking to the many very friendly and helpful folks on this site.  I was given enough info to try my second smoke after 6 years.  This time I have a different result.  Thanks to everyone here I was able to figure out things that killed my first smoke.  I was so happy with the results of my first smoke (pork butt) that I tried a second smoke.  The second smoke was jerky.  It came out amazing.  I was blown away by the results.

 

I couldn't have done it without the folks here and their willingness to help.  This is a great site and I hope to be using it for a very long time.

 

So real quick about me.  My name is Rob.  I live in Westwood, NJ which is at the very top of new jersey.  As I said earlier in this post, I tried smoking in a bullet 6 years ago and it wasn't pretty.  I received a smoker for fathers day this year and was determined to make it happen.  My smoker is great now that I've made some mod's.  It was the help of folks on this site that enabled me to figure what mods I needed and how to address the issues.  My only issue with the smoker design is how I have to pull the coal box out to refill.  I would have preferred a door on top that opens up and allows the ability to pour coals right in from the top.  Now I know for the next time.

 

I think my smoker, this web site and I are the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

 

Fell free to say hi and thanks again to everyone that has already educated me so I am at a place where I am confident I can do anything with my smoker because I always have this web site to fall back on in case o get snagged.

 

Ciao,

Rob

post #2 of 8

Hello and welcome to the forum, Great place to learn and share and a bunch of good people.

 

Gary S

post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 

Hi Gary,

 

Thanks for saying hi.  This is a great site.  I smoked my first pork but a few weeks ago and I couldn't have done it with out the help from the folks here.  I have gotten so confident because of all the great advice that I've received here that I smoked jerky last week.  I've made jerky for 20 years and I simply throw it into my dehydrator and that's it.  This time I smoked as much as I could fit in my smoker.  I smoked it for 3 hours then threw it in the dehydrator to finish,  it's even better then I've even done before and it was pretty good before.  lol

 

Thanks again for saying hi.

 

Ciao,

Rob

post #4 of 8
Hey Rob,
I saw your posts on the Trailmaster vertical smoker thread. I didn't know you were new to the forum. Welcome. I looked at the Dyna-Glow, but went for the Brinkmann instead. I couldn't physically touch and look at the Dyna and I was afraid to buy it sight unseen. What do you think of it? It looks like a nice smoker. How was the fit and finish? Did it require many mods?
Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm curious. Don't get me wrong, I love my Trailmaster, but it was more expensive than the Dyna and required many mods, and my door still does not shut tight.

Either way, welcome to SMF. Post some Q-view if you remember. We love food pics.

welcome1.gif
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshep70 View Post

Hey Rob,
I saw your posts on the Trailmaster vertical smoker thread. I didn't know you were new to the forum. Welcome. I looked at the Dyna-Glow, but went for the Brinkmann instead. I couldn't physically touch and look at the Dyna and I was afraid to buy it sight unseen. What do you think of it? It looks like a nice smoker. How was the fit and finish? Did it require many mods?
Sorry for the 20 questions, but I'm curious. Don't get me wrong, I love my Trailmaster, but it was more expensive than the Dyna and required many mods, and my door still does not shut tight.

Either way, welcome to SMF. Post some Q-view if you remember. We love food pics.

welcome1.gif

Hi Mr Shep,

 

No problem with the 20 questions.  I have asked so many questions and received so many kind replies that I feel one good turn deserves another.  plus that's why I'm hear to learn and to offer my experience.

 

With that said, I like my smoker a lot.  I went by reviews on Amazon.  I am always skeptical of those reviews buy it's all I had to work with.  plus I got it on sale, i think $160.  I see that the Trailmaster is more expensive but I think you went with the right choice.  The only real issue I have with the Dyna Glow is the FB.  It has a door on the side rather than above.  With the door like you have, you lift it up and throw your coals or wood right in and nothing should really ever miss the coal box.  With the door on the side you need to pull it out to reload.  Ashes go flying and fall on my patio and dumping the coals when reloading is awkward.  I'm not sure because I am going by the picture but I think your CC looks bigger.  How many shelves do you have and how big are they?

 

AS for mod's mine was pretty easy to seal.  I used Lavalock on the CC door.  I used fiberglass gaskets and RTV where the FB ans CC connect and on the FB door.  I replaced the thermostat because everyone says to do so. and I have a small leak in the top corner of the FB door.  I have a new latch that I haven't had time to install yet.  It's not a big leak.  I just wanted to extra project.  lol

 

Other than that I like it but will remember the FB issue s that I have if I every upgrade..  Let me know if you have any other questions.  if not a problem.

post #6 of 8
Hey Rob

Welcome to the Smoking forum. You’ll find great , friendly people here, all more than willing to answer any question you may have. Just ask and you’ll get about 10 different answers—all right. LOL. Don’t forget to post qviews.

Gary
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sicc View Post

Hi Mr Shep,

No problem with the 20 questions.  I have asked so many questions and received so many kind replies that I feel one good turn deserves another.  plus that's why I'm hear to learn and to offer my experience.

With that said, I like my smoker a lot.  I went by reviews on Amazon.  I am always skeptical of those reviews buy it's all I had to work with.  plus I got it on sale, i think $160.  I see that the Trailmaster is more expensive but I think you went with the right choice.  The only real issue I have with the Dyna Glow is the FB.  It has a door on the side rather than above.  With the door like you have, you lift it up and throw your coals or wood right in and nothing should really ever miss the coal box.  With the door on the side you need to pull it out to reload.  Ashes go flying and fall on my patio and dumping the coals when reloading is awkward.  I'm not sure because I am going by the picture but I think your CC looks bigger.  How many shelves do you have and how big are they?

AS for mod's mine was pretty easy to seal.  I used Lavalock on the CC door.  I used fiberglass gaskets and RTV where the FB ans CC connect and on the FB door.  I replaced the thermostat because everyone says to do so. and I have a small leak in the top corner of the FB door.  I have a new latch that I haven't had time to install yet.  It's not a big leak.  I just wanted to extra project.  lol

Other than that I like it but will remember the FB issue s that I have if I every upgrade..  Let me know if you have any other questions.  if not a problem.

I think you are right the CC is a little bigger. Here is a description from Home Depot's website:
1,390 sq. in. of total cooking area
Porcelain-coated steel cooking grids for long life
Adjustable smokestack and side air vent for heat regulation
Hinged lid for easy access to charcoal
Off-set firebox serves as heat source for main body
Integrated hanging hooks for sausages

However, the grids are a little tight. I usually remove every other one when doing something big. It was all I could do to fit the brisket you saw in the other thread in there. However, that was a 14 pound monster. biggrin.gif

I like the fact that your CC is square and not round. I can only fit 2 racks of baby backs per grid as well. I bought a vertical rib rack to see if I can fit more on one level.

I see by your other posts that you are an IT guy. Me too. I think that is why I love grilling and smoking so much. It gets me outside and away from those stupid PCs for a while.

Mr. Shep
post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrshep70 View Post


I think you are right the CC is a little bigger. Here is a description from Home Depot's website:
1,390 sq. in. of total cooking area
Porcelain-coated steel cooking grids for long life
Adjustable smokestack and side air vent for heat regulation
Hinged lid for easy access to charcoal
Off-set firebox serves as heat source for main body
Integrated hanging hooks for sausages

However, the grids are a little tight. I usually remove every other one when doing something big. It was all I could do to fit the brisket you saw in the other thread in there. However, that was a 14 pound monster. biggrin.gif

I like the fact that your CC is square and not round. I can only fit 2 racks of baby backs per grid as well. I bought a vertical rib rack to see if I can fit more on one level.

I see by your other posts that you are an IT guy. Me too. I think that is why I love grilling and smoking so much. It gets me outside and away from those stupid PCs for a while.

Mr. Shep


I agree with you about why us IT guys like this.  It is technical and requires thinking but it's outside.  You can't keep us away from technology though.  I bought the Maverick ET-733 wireless thermometer.  Can't get all of the computer geek out of us!  LOL

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Roll Call
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › Newbie thread a few weks late. lol