Thank you to all for great feedback and generosity with sharing your knowledge - it has been a great help!
- Progress update -
Re: suggestions with the amps - I had already purchased the 5x8 version - so I'll play with that for now, and maybe get one of the tubes in the future depending on how it goes.
First of all I ordered a bunch of parts. Here's a breakdown for anyone who is interested.
Special thanks to my buddy Mike who has allowed me to store and work on this thing at his house and for allowing me to use some of his tools and teflon tape!
note: I used the low pressure regulator and hose recommended by northern tool when I picked up the burner. However - when working out the fittings for the needle valve - it worked out better to have a 1/4" hose fitting - so I replaced the rubber hose for a stainless braided one. I think it looks better anyways.
Then I rented a heavy duty drill - Special thanks to my buddy Tom for letting me use the 4" hole saw drill bit!
Working out the burner connection and air vent directly below.
note: one thought I had for placing the vent below - is that propane is heavier than air - so if the flame goes out for some reason - the propane would just empty out of the smoker. Also, I'll probably place some sort of aluminum sheet over the vent to control airflow as needed.
Installed chimney (exterior)
Installed chimney (interior)
Notice the 4" mesh vent over the cap - this worked out to be a perfect fit to keep out bugs etc. I placed a 1/2 size sheet pan below the chimney for condensation.
Finished burner location
Notice the 4" mesh vent through the floor to keep out the bugs.
Here's the propane connection side. I installed the needle valve as well.
Here's an overall view.
Here's one with the door open.
I picked up (4) 18x10" stainless food grates that are perfect food racks for this from a restaurant supply store. They're a good size for cleaning in the sink as well.
Now it's time to tinker and play with cooking, working out temperatures, and especially the options and suggestions with the AMPS and wood chips. I may insulate this once I figure out how best to use it and if it needs any other mods. I'll see what I can come up with.
For the time being - I think I'll be running it the way jarjarchef recommended; wood chips for hot smoking, and amps for cold smoke.
Thanks everyone - this thing is up and running!