or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Need wood experts advise.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Need wood experts advise.

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 

I have a old pound apple tree out back the lost a big limb who knows how long ago.  I cut some chunks off of it tonight.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

All bark is gone.

 

 

 

So I fired up the mini for a test run.

 

Hard to catch the smoke out of the vent.  This is with 2 chunks burning.

 

 

 

The inside.

 

 

 

 

 

The wood seemed to last longer than store bought and smelled great.

 

The wood is a little soft.

 

Think it is good to use?

 

If so I have enough for a very long time.

post #2 of 11
It's up to you, it looks pretty punky....not good for smoking IMHO and to my taste.



~Martin
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
I was going to use the word punky but didnt know if anyone would know what it meant.
It is a little punky. Smoke looks good and smells good thou. It is not rotten.
post #4 of 11

Hello Adam.  I am CERTAINLY no wood expert!  Just my opinion.  I haven't heard of "pound apple".  My only concern was when you said the wood was soft and you didn't know how long it was laying there.  Looking at the pictures it doesn't look crumbly as in rotten and you say it smells great and not "funky".  Apple wood looking and smelling like that I would say go for it! unless another member knows better.  If you are worried just try 1 grilled burger and see what ya think.  I am sure it won't kill ya but you may not like the taste as I am not sure what "pound apple" is.  Just food for thought.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #5 of 11

As long as there's no mold or fungus growing on it & it's not super punky it should be fine to use. I would gather the rest of it, store it somewhere off the ground & use it...

post #6 of 11

Hello.  I see others had my concern but if it "seems to last longer than store bought", maybe the pictures lie.  Rotting wood would burn quickly unless wet.  Just a thought.

Danny

post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking B View Post

As long as there's no mold or fungus growing on it & it's not super punky it should be fine to use. I would gather the rest of it, store it somewhere off the ground & use it...

Thanks man. I will get the rest of it. My test burn turned out good. I will use it on the fattie tomorrow for the real test.
post #8 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5TPY View Post

Hello Adam.  I am CERTAINLY no wood expert!  Just my opinion.  I haven't heard of "pound apple".  My only concern was when you said the wood was soft and you didn't know how long it was laying there.  Looking at the pictures it doesn't look crumbly as in rotten and you say it smells great and not "funky".  Apple wood looking and smelling like that I would say go for it! unless another member knows better.  If you are worried just try 1 grilled burger and see what ya think.  I am sure it won't kill ya but you may not like the taste as I am not sure what "pound apple" is.  Just food for thought.  Keep Smokin!
Danny

Thanks Danny. They say a pound apple tree grows 1lb apples. They are great for baking.

I am happy with the test burn. With 2 chunks (3x3 ) lasted over 4 hours.
post #9 of 11

Hello.  AHH.  Thanks for that Adam.  So it IS an apple tree.  You know so many trees and such have local names.  The ones down in Texas that confuse me is the oak.  Live oak, stump oak, red oak, white oak, blackjack ( which I THINK is an oak but not sure ) etc..  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post


Thanks man. I will get the rest of it. My test burn turned out good. I will use it on the fattie tomorrow for the real test.

 

That should let you know for sure  Thumbs Up

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5TPY View Post
 

Hello.  AHH.  Thanks for that Adam.  So it IS an apple tree.  You know so many trees and such have local names.  The ones down in Texas that confuse me is the oak.  Live oak, stump oak, red oak, white oak, blackjack ( which I THINK is an oak but not sure ) etc..  Keep Smokin!

Danny

 

Don't forget the post oak that everyone always talks about with TX BBQ  :biggrin:

post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5TPY View Post

Hello.  AHH.  Thanks for that Adam.  So it IS an apple tree.  You know so many trees and such have local names.  The ones down in Texas that confuse me is the oak.  Live oak, stump oak, red oak, white oak, blackjack ( which I THINK is an oak but not sure ) etc..  Keep Smokin!
Danny

Don't forget post oak....my Texas brother cooks with that!grilling_smilie.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Need wood experts advise.