I am practically a complete newbie with smoking meats and I thought I`d share some results from my pork butt smoke.
The butt came out extremely dry in my opinion and I`d love for some feedback from others as to how to improve on my next attempt.
1.Cooker..Brinkmann Gourmet Electric
2. Pork Butt..weight 7.3 lbs.
3.Prep..Infused with apple juice and then a rub my wife made that came from an online source.
4.Preheated cooker at 8:30pm with a water pan filled with warm water only about an inch below full.
5. Placed butt on cooker @ 9:00 pm with Taylor thermometer.
6. Check temperature one hour into the smoke and it was 138 f.
7.Checked again at the 3 hour mark and it was 141 and added water before retiring to bed.
8. Awoke @ 7:00 am and temp was 201 and added more water.
9. Let the butt cook two more hours for a total of 12 cooking hours and removed at 9:00 am. Temp was showing 206
Hindsight, when I awoke @ 7 and the temp was over 200 I wish I had taken it off then instead of cooking additional 2 more hours.
Any and all suggestions are most welcome:-)