Hey guys! I just finished up my first bacon. Took a couple of weeks but well worth it. I used a brine recipe I got from here and modified it a little bit. Smoked it in my masterbuilt with my amaz-n smoker providing the smoke. Couldnt have done it without you, thanks for the help!
A few observations:
- It tastes NOTHING AT ALL like store bought. I was expecting something close to that but it really isnt. That isnt a bad thing, this tasted better in my opinion. No chemical taste!
- Not enough salt. I used 3/4 cup, next time Ill go to a full cup
- A little too sweet. I like it but the wife/daughter would have preferred a little less sugar
- A couple days in the fridge wrapped in seran wrap, after the smoking process made all the difference. When I sliced off a piece before, it was just 'ok'. Let it sit and it was FANTASTIC
- With the Amaz-n smoker I noticed the temp went up above 130 for a little bit in the chamber. I think I even hit 138 for a short time. Didnt seem to bother anything though.
Tomorrow Ill slice it all up and freeze it. Now I just have to keep this a secret from friends/family, or Ill never see any of it. :)