or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Marinating for too long?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Marinating for too long?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
My going to be smoking a 10lb Boston Butt pork shoulder. I have always used mustard for "glue" then added my rub to it, rapped it up in plastic rap and placed in the refrigerator for over night 24hrs.

My question is what if i lefted it the refrigerator longer....like say 2 or 3 days? Would it dry out the meat because of the salt in the rub? Or more flavor?

Help me out
post #2 of 8

I think it would not matter, other than to add flavour to the roast. You may have to, on the morning of the smoke apply more rub. If your worried about too much salt, make a new rub with no salt and apply that.

 

It is for situations like that, that I use Honey for the glue.  Better flavour profile at the end of the smoke also.

post #3 of 8
You should be fine. As said may need some more run, but would cut back or eliminate the salt.
post #4 of 8

I usually try to leave mine rubbed and wrapped for two days. To me the Reefer slows down the absorption process so much that I find I like two much better. If I can stand waiting that long. LOL

 

I always rub and wrap, re-rub when it comes out the wrap, then add a very light coat of sugar. The light brown sugar caramelizes and encapsulates the pork forming a hard outer shell to hold the moisture in.

 

Kind of like a pork M&M.

post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palladini View Post

I think it would not matter, other than to add flavour to the roast. You may have to, on the morning of the smoke apply more rub. If your worried about too much salt, make a new rub with no salt and apply that.

It is for situations like that, that I use Honey for the glue.  Better flavour profile at the end of the smoke also.

Honey for glue......hmmmmm I might have to try that. I just don't want it to burn or get too charred on the outside with all that sugar.

I like the idea though ;-)
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamheart View Post

I usually try to leave mine rubbed and wrapped for two days. To me the Reefer slows down the absorption process so much that I find I like two much better. If I can stand waiting that long. LOL

I always rub and wrap, re-rub when it comes out the wrap, then add a very light coat of sugar. The light brown sugar caramelizes and encapsulates the pork forming a hard outer shell to hold the moisture in.

Kind of like a pork M&M.

Sounds good! Noted!
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by finsfree View Post


Honey for glue......hmmmmm I might have to try that. I just don't want it to burn or get too charred on the outside with all that sugar.

I like the idea though ;-)

I have used it on most meats all summer long.  My wife bought me a huge 1 Quart jug of honey at Costco and I used it.  Never burned the meat at all, no char, just delicious meat, all cooked at 225

post #8 of 8

Unless you have an extra salty rub?  I would not anticipate a problem.

 

With lots of salt or soy sauce, you might see some breakdown of proteins on the outside?

 

I am very careful on timing with poultry in those situations.

 

I don't do butts that way, but I doubt you will have a problem.

 

Let us know what your experience is?

 

Good luck and good smoking.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › Marinating for too long?