Ok so this my first time making any kind of bacon. I'm using Bearcarvers dry rub with TQ. It's been in the bag since last Saterday. My question is when I take out of the bag for the peticle to form I would like to brush it with maple slrup (bad spelling) and put some black pepper on it. Would that work or should I have done that when I put it in the bag? I'm going to start some more this weekend. Randal's had pork butts on sale for 99 cents a pound, so I picked up three of them.
- topicBacon Makingtagged by PGSmoker64, 10/26/13
Dry Cured Bacon Calculator And Procedure
Last edited: 3/20/12
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard BaconLast edited: 3/23/15
- Bearcarvers Smoked Bacon Step By Step With QviewLast edited: 11/17/10
- Canadian Bacon Basic TechniqueLast edited: 7/2/10
Bought this at Menards after returning a Traeger Texan to Costco. The Pitt Boss is a little smaller, has the broiler feature, has a upper cooking rack, has a shelf under the cook chamber is $400...
Unless you are cooking for 1 or 2, don't get this as your main grill/smoker. On the other hand, if you already have a larger grill/smoker that you use for big cooks and want something to use for...
I've had mine for more than 6 years and I really struggled through the first year with it getting too hot and burning up food. I was ready to give up and just use it as a charcoal grill. Then I...
I installed this and it worked flawlessly.
I was able to make half a burger before the press portion of the burger maker broke. Had to finish the burgers using the machine and my hands, pushing manually. Push down handle and clip broke...
My First Atempt at BBBpost #1 of 1010/25/13 at 7:26pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 1010/26/13 at 12:41ampost #3 of 1010/26/13 at 7:36am
Are you hot or cold smoking your BBB? The pepper will stick good before your pellicle starts to form so it works with hot or cold method. The syrup works good when you start to get some color while hot smoking and drizzle a little on kind of like mopping ribs just brush a thin layer on. Also it will burn easy when you put it in the pan but since it is already cooked you really only need to warm it through. I never have added syrup when cold smoking so I don't know when the best time to add it.post #4 of 1010/26/13 at 6:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1010/26/13 at 6:15pmpost #6 of 1010/29/13 at 8:38amThread Starterpost #7 of 1011/6/13 at 10:06amThread Starterpost #8 of 1011/6/13 at 10:11ampost #9 of 1011/6/13 at 10:30amThread Starter
I haven't tried it yet. I smoked it with apple for about eight hours. It smell like a lot of smoke. I hope it will mellow some. Going to give it a try this weekend. I need to see if my wife knows where that cable is. It looks great and smells like bacon.post #10 of 1011/9/13 at 10:05amThread Starter
We still can't find the cable for the camera. We did try the bacon this morning. My wife thinks it is too smoky. We both thought it was a little too sweet. We will be smoking some more latter. This time I will do less smoke and increase the salt some to try and balance out the sweetness. We added some garlic and black pepper while the pelicle was forming. Neither of us could taste those in the finished product. Will have to play around with it some. I gave a package to a guy at work. I'll find out on Monday what he thought about it. Have to either figure out where we put the cable or go buy another one. Overall I would say it was a sucess. Not quite what we were looking for, but not a failure either. Thanks for all the great information on this site. You all are good at what you do. We are still learning, more and more the more I read.
- My First Atempt at BBB
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard Bacon
- › UMAi Salami 49 seconds ago
- › New Guy! 1 minute ago
- › Sous Vide Country Style Ribs (Grill to Finish) 3 minutes ago
- › Hello From Texas 3 minutes ago
- › New Traeger Timberline 5 minutes ago
- › Curing Salmon before smoking 8 minutes ago
- › Texas beef smoked sausage 12 minutes ago
- › makro 22 minutes ago
- › Got my new grates in. See Pics 22 minutes ago
- › Propane SmokeHouse Build 25 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients