Ok so this my first time making any kind of bacon. I'm using Bearcarvers dry rub with TQ. It's been in the bag since last Saterday. My question is when I take out of the bag for the peticle to form I would like to brush it with maple slrup (bad spelling) and put some black pepper on it. Would that work or should I have done that when I put it in the bag? I'm going to start some more this weekend. Randal's had pork butts on sale for 99 cents a pound, so I picked up three of them.
- topicBacon Makingtagged by PGSmoker64, 10/26/13
Dry Cured Bacon Calculator And Procedure
Last edited: 3/20/12
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard BaconLast edited: 3/23/15
- Bearcarvers Smoked Bacon Step By Step With QviewLast edited: 11/17/10
- Canadian Bacon Basic TechniqueLast edited: 7/2/10
I got my first Traeger, put it together, followed all the directions to get it started with first "seasoning". Saw a dent in the frame, door did not close square to the opening, otherwise...
You won't find these at Wal-Mart!!!
I purchased one of the very early Traeger Lil' Tex models about 20 years ago. It was the first pellet grill I had ever seen and I fell in love instantly. Over time I added a digital thermometer to...
This product will not work in a propane smoker and it is a known defect by Amazen. The gas fire fights with the smoker for the air supply and the smoker usually looses an will not burn. They...
My stock temp gauge after 3 uses was about 50 degrees off. So I ordered this one cause I have seen this one in many videos and pictures. and the rating was good. Had to make the hole bigger to...
My First Atempt at BBBpost #1 of 1010/25/13 at 7:26pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 1010/26/13 at 12:41ampost #3 of 1010/26/13 at 7:36am
Are you hot or cold smoking your BBB? The pepper will stick good before your pellicle starts to form so it works with hot or cold method. The syrup works good when you start to get some color while hot smoking and drizzle a little on kind of like mopping ribs just brush a thin layer on. Also it will burn easy when you put it in the pan but since it is already cooked you really only need to warm it through. I never have added syrup when cold smoking so I don't know when the best time to add it.post #4 of 1010/26/13 at 6:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1010/26/13 at 6:15pmpost #6 of 1010/29/13 at 8:38amThread Starterpost #7 of 1011/6/13 at 10:06amThread Starterpost #8 of 1011/6/13 at 10:11ampost #9 of 1011/6/13 at 10:30amThread Starter
I haven't tried it yet. I smoked it with apple for about eight hours. It smell like a lot of smoke. I hope it will mellow some. Going to give it a try this weekend. I need to see if my wife knows where that cable is. It looks great and smells like bacon.post #10 of 1011/9/13 at 10:05amThread Starter
We still can't find the cable for the camera. We did try the bacon this morning. My wife thinks it is too smoky. We both thought it was a little too sweet. We will be smoking some more latter. This time I will do less smoke and increase the salt some to try and balance out the sweetness. We added some garlic and black pepper while the pelicle was forming. Neither of us could taste those in the finished product. Will have to play around with it some. I gave a package to a guy at work. I'll find out on Monday what he thought about it. Have to either figure out where we put the cable or go buy another one. Overall I would say it was a sucess. Not quite what we were looking for, but not a failure either. Thanks for all the great information on this site. You all are good at what you do. We are still learning, more and more the more I read.
- My First Atempt at BBB
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard Bacon
- › MES 30: Heats up, then gives up. 21 seconds ago
- › Thank you! First Smoke 59 seconds ago
- › i want to convert my smoker to electric 4 minutes ago
- › exhaust and vent help please 5 minutes ago
- › First Brisket-Looking for Feedback 11 minutes ago
- › Fine Kosher salt? 13 minutes ago
- › Heard of Christmas in July? We had Thanksgiving in June! 15 minutes ago
- › Smoking Bolonga 15 minutes ago
- › Turkey Breast Tenderloin.... Never smoked it B4 /Q-vue 15 minutes ago
- › Graduation Party 16 minutes ago
- › Traeger TFB29LZA Junior Elite Grill by BMETZ
- › Old Country Brasos by ammaturesmoker
- › Traeger Lil' Tex Elite Pellet Grill by Gjd53
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by Smokedevil
- › 3 Inch Large Smoker Thermometer by Tragusa113
- › Traeger Texas Pellet Grill by bigdumbjarhead
- › Masterbuilt 20070115 Bluetooth Smart Digital Electric Smoker,... by 603Smoker
- › Kingsford 30520 Competition Briquets, 11.1-Pound Bag by daRicksta
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by BC taster
- › Brinkmann Pro Series 4400 by LilyArscott
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS