Ok so this my first time making any kind of bacon. I'm using Bearcarvers dry rub with TQ. It's been in the bag since last Saterday. My question is when I take out of the bag for the peticle to form I would like to brush it with maple slrup (bad spelling) and put some black pepper on it. Would that work or should I have done that when I put it in the bag? I'm going to start some more this weekend. Randal's had pork butts on sale for 99 cents a pound, so I picked up three of them.
- topicBacon Makingtagged by PGSmoker64, 10/26/13
Dry Cured Bacon Calculator And Procedure
Last edited: 3/20/12
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard BaconLast edited: 3/23/15
- Bearcarvers Smoked Bacon Step By Step With QviewLast edited: 11/17/10
- Canadian Bacon Basic TechniqueLast edited: 7/2/10
This is my first smoker and I've had some great success with it already. It was pretty easy to get some good results even on my first runs. I switched from chips to chunks for the wood and it...
Wanted a decent electric smoker that was almost setup, start and let it do its job with miminal intervention! Is it perfect no but as I live in Scotland weather is a challenge at times so had a...
Simply the best. The Bentley of all grills and it's the only ceramic grill made in the USA. The 400XL will smoke two 20 pound turkeys.
The smoker came packaged very nicely and easy to assemble. The construction of it is pretty solid. I have used it twice so far and both times the smoker itself was good. I did put on a gasket...
I started out on a friends Traegar at work and made the decision to get a pellet smoker, I researched for awhile and was leaning towards the Green Mountain Grill line, I went and checked them out...
My First Atempt at BBBpost #1 of 1010/25/13 at 7:26pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 1010/26/13 at 12:41ampost #3 of 1010/26/13 at 7:36am
Are you hot or cold smoking your BBB? The pepper will stick good before your pellicle starts to form so it works with hot or cold method. The syrup works good when you start to get some color while hot smoking and drizzle a little on kind of like mopping ribs just brush a thin layer on. Also it will burn easy when you put it in the pan but since it is already cooked you really only need to warm it through. I never have added syrup when cold smoking so I don't know when the best time to add it.post #4 of 1010/26/13 at 6:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1010/26/13 at 6:15pmpost #6 of 1010/29/13 at 8:38amThread Starterpost #7 of 1011/6/13 at 10:06amThread Starterpost #8 of 1011/6/13 at 10:11ampost #9 of 1011/6/13 at 10:30amThread Starter
I haven't tried it yet. I smoked it with apple for about eight hours. It smell like a lot of smoke. I hope it will mellow some. Going to give it a try this weekend. I need to see if my wife knows where that cable is. It looks great and smells like bacon.post #10 of 1011/9/13 at 10:05amThread Starter
We still can't find the cable for the camera. We did try the bacon this morning. My wife thinks it is too smoky. We both thought it was a little too sweet. We will be smoking some more latter. This time I will do less smoke and increase the salt some to try and balance out the sweetness. We added some garlic and black pepper while the pelicle was forming. Neither of us could taste those in the finished product. Will have to play around with it some. I gave a package to a guy at work. I'll find out on Monday what he thought about it. Have to either figure out where we put the cable or go buy another one. Overall I would say it was a sucess. Not quite what we were looking for, but not a failure either. Thanks for all the great information on this site. You all are good at what you do. We are still learning, more and more the more I read.
- My First Atempt at BBB
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard Bacon
- › Foodsaver vacuum sealers 42 seconds ago
- › New SS Mix 9 minutes ago
- › Weber Style wireless temp probe 18 minutes ago
- › First time on mes 40. From propane two for 30. 21 minutes ago
- › 4" thick Delmonico 26 minutes ago
- › New guy bad smoke 30 minutes ago
- › New to Smoker Cooking 30 minutes ago
- › Smoked Prime Rib (First of 2017) 1 hour, 1 minute ago
- › Maryland group forming come join us 1 hour, 8 minutes ago
- › Roasting bags 1 hour, 16 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer