Ok so this my first time making any kind of bacon. I'm using Bearcarvers dry rub with TQ. It's been in the bag since last Saterday. My question is when I take out of the bag for the peticle to form I would like to brush it with maple slrup (bad spelling) and put some black pepper on it. Would that work or should I have done that when I put it in the bag? I'm going to start some more this weekend. Randal's had pork butts on sale for 99 cents a pound, so I picked up three of them.
- topicBacon Makingtagged by PGSmoker64, 10/26/13
Dry Cured Bacon Calculator And Procedure
Last edited: 3/20/12
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard BaconLast edited: 3/23/15
- Bearcarvers Smoked Bacon Step By Step With QviewLast edited: 11/17/10
- Canadian Bacon Basic TechniqueLast edited: 7/2/10
Got this for convenience and the ease of smoking at tailgates or events without pulling the stick burner. Smoked several meals on it now. While I was assembling the smoker, i saw the wood chip tray...
If you ever wanted to make sausage and jerky this is the book that will get you started. Easy step-by-step instructions show you how to bone out a deer for sausage and jerky. Also includes both...
I know it's bad form to be underwhelmed by this book, but am I the only one who actually read it? There are duplicated parts, there is no discernible order to it, and it is mostly aimed at people...
I received this smoker as a gift - it's the 30" model. I read in the forums here about some mods to improve functionality and I did them: installed a base and casters, added some insulation around...
I received the 38' Smoky Hollow with the glass door at Christmas, and have done about 5 smokes so far. The unit is roomy enough to do a 12+ lb. brisket and much more. After two smokes, I ordered a...
My First Atempt at BBBpost #1 of 1010/25/13 at 7:26pmThread Starter
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Pickspost #2 of 1010/26/13 at 12:41ampost #3 of 1010/26/13 at 7:36am
Are you hot or cold smoking your BBB? The pepper will stick good before your pellicle starts to form so it works with hot or cold method. The syrup works good when you start to get some color while hot smoking and drizzle a little on kind of like mopping ribs just brush a thin layer on. Also it will burn easy when you put it in the pan but since it is already cooked you really only need to warm it through. I never have added syrup when cold smoking so I don't know when the best time to add it.post #4 of 1010/26/13 at 6:11pmThread Starterpost #5 of 1010/26/13 at 6:15pmpost #6 of 1010/29/13 at 8:38amThread Starterpost #7 of 1011/6/13 at 10:06amThread Starterpost #8 of 1011/6/13 at 10:11ampost #9 of 1011/6/13 at 10:30amThread Starter
I haven't tried it yet. I smoked it with apple for about eight hours. It smell like a lot of smoke. I hope it will mellow some. Going to give it a try this weekend. I need to see if my wife knows where that cable is. It looks great and smells like bacon.post #10 of 1011/9/13 at 10:05amThread Starter
We still can't find the cable for the camera. We did try the bacon this morning. My wife thinks it is too smoky. We both thought it was a little too sweet. We will be smoking some more latter. This time I will do less smoke and increase the salt some to try and balance out the sweetness. We added some garlic and black pepper while the pelicle was forming. Neither of us could taste those in the finished product. Will have to play around with it some. I gave a package to a guy at work. I'll find out on Monday what he thought about it. Have to either figure out where we put the cable or go buy another one. Overall I would say it was a sucess. Not quite what we were looking for, but not a failure either. Thanks for all the great information on this site. You all are good at what you do. We are still learning, more and more the more I read.
- My First Atempt at BBB
SmokingMeatForums.com Top Picks
- Butterflying A Pork Butt For Buckboard Bacon
- › Is this a 2nd Gen MES30? 39 minutes ago
- › Water smokers 1 hour, 45 minutes ago
- › Do you seal a smoker to keep in heat and smoke or keep oxygen just... 2 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Coleslaw 2 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › Can I split a pork butt in half and cut down on smoking time? 2 hours, 50 minutes ago
- › smoker insulator 2 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Pork Butt 3 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Summer sausage seasoning 3 hours, 24 minutes ago
- › SoFlaQuer's Carolina Mustard Sauce 3 hours, 38 minutes ago
- › JarJar Pork Rub Recipe 3 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Maverick ET-732 Remote Check Wireless Thermometer With 2 Probes by MyOwnIdaho
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine