So far I've smoked a 6lb brisket, a 5lb pork loin, and 7 bacon wrapped chicken breasts. All turned out very good but I am constantly trying to improve. My wife, who is a chef, is catering a friends party this Saturday. As in the day after tomorrow....yea. The menu will consist of mexican style cusine, including pulled pork tacos. So me and my big mouth suggested that it would be fun to smoke the pork shoulder. I'm thinking, "how hard could it be? A little pork shoulder.." That was until I found out there will be 40+ guests. So now the pressure is on for me to succeed. So my first pork shoulder will acutally be 2, 7.5lb pieces, being cooked for a party with 40+ guests. No pressure right?
So, on to my questions. Keep in mind these will be a pulled pork mexican style taco.
1) Would you recommend injections? If so, what ingredients to go along with mexican style flavors?
2) Dinner will be served at roughly 7pm. I would like to have the shoulders rested and ready to be pulled by 6. Should I go with 1 hour per pound? I planned on getting it on the grates at around 9am.
3) My wife suggested partially smoking and then finishing in the crock pot. Pros, cons?
4) Any suggestions on a dry rub?
5) She does not want the smoke flavor to overpower the meat. I thought sitcking with mainly charcoal would eliminate this. Suggestions?
6) What can I use for a mop or spritz? Apple juice still or maybe vinegar to stick with the flavors?
Just needing a lot of help. You guys are the only place I trust! Thanks in advance!
-Don and Shana