or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Grilling Beef › Traeger Thick Cut KC Strips
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Traeger Thick Cut KC Strips

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Coated with Montreal Steak

Turned the Traeger on High

Seared (or attempted to without grill grates) for 7 min.

Flipped and went another 7.

Continued until about 30 minutes (if I recall) until I reached our ideal medium-rare temp, then took them off.

Excellent taste.

 

 

post #2 of 12
That looks great...nicely done!

Red
post #3 of 12

Looks really tasty!    I've heard good things about sear grates.  Do you have a small kettle grill or a charcoal chimney?  If you don't have a kettle or another charcoal grill you can just use a charcoal chimney with a grate on top...it works fantastic.  

 

  What's nice about really high heat searing is you can sear for only a minute on each side and keep most of the red inside. 

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

Looks really tasty!    I've heard good things about sear grates.  Do you have a small kettle grill or a charcoal chimney?  If you don't have a kettle or another charcoal grill you can just use a charcoal chimney with a grate on top...it works fantastic.  

 

  What's nice about really high heat searing is you can sear for only a minute on each side and keep most of the red inside. 

My Traeger sold last week, my Yoder YS640 should be here by next weekend, that is coming with grillgrates from the factory. I almost picked up a pair for my Traeger before I decided to sell it. Looking forward to those, I like the high-heat grilling to get those sears, I can only see things improving with the Yoder.

post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropez View Post

My Traeger sold last week, my Yoder YS640 should be here by next weekend, that is coming with grillgrates from the factory. I almost picked up a pair for my Traeger before I decided to sell it. Looking forward to those, I like the high-heat grilling to get those sears, I can only see things improving with the Yoder.

Sounds good, remember even if you don't get the sear you want from those for steaks etc.. then don't hesitate to use hot charcoal, Nothing like a fire kissed sear!

post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

Sounds good, remember even if you don't get the sear you want from those for steaks etc.. then don't hesitate to use hot charcoal, Nothing like a fire kissed sear!

Where do I load that charcoal in my Yoder? HAHA!

post #7 of 12
Tasty looking steak!!!
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropez View Post

Where do I load that charcoal in my Yoder? HAHA!

That's why i say everyone should have a kettle....smoke, sear, grill.

 

I almost have too many grills and smokers...let's see i have a UDS, WSM Mini, gas grill/ charcoal grill combo, 22" kettle and a offset smoker that runs on propane charcoal or wood... and i'm considering adding on a UDS pellet cooker!      

post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWIsmoker View Post

That's why i say everyone should have a kettle....smoke, sear, grill.

 

I almost have too many grills and smokers...let's see i have a UDS, WSM Mini, gas grill/ charcoal grill combo, 22" kettle and a offset smoker that runs on propane charcoal or wood... and i'm considering adding on a UDS pellet cooker!      

I have..

 

My microwave

My oven

My George Foreman Grill

My smoker (again, soon)

 

That's it baby! From the youtube video's I've seen of the Yoder searing, I won't have any issues using this pellet pooper as a hybrid smoker/griller (at least I hope).

 

Nice list of items though, sounds like you have a bunch of tools in the chest.

post #10 of 12

Looks perfect!

post #11 of 12
Looks nice and juicy Kat
post #12 of 12

I wouldn't hesitate for a moment - I'd quickly devour that  biggrin.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Grilling Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Grilling Beef › Traeger Thick Cut KC Strips