or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › NY Strip in a Wet to Dry (well not so dry) Chamber
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NY Strip in a Wet to Dry (well not so dry) Chamber

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
I picked up a 5 lb NY Strip yesterday to smoke today so I can take it next week when I go TDY for work. I really wanted to do a lean trim wet to dry smoke chamber but that is really hard to do in SE GA in July! Everything was looking good this morning so I put it on the GOSM running right at 180* and the AMNPS providing some PMC, Cherry and Charcoal smoke. After an hour and a half I went to pull the water pan and it started pouring down rain. So much for a dry chamber! It was already humid and the rain just added to it. Oh well I'm sure it will still taste good!

Lean trimmed and rubbed with a light dusting of Gary's Java rub and a light sprinkle of Spicy Montreal Steak seasoning last night then in the fridge to let the spices come together.
Right before going on the smoker:


At an hour and a half just as the rain started:


Three hours and it's at 111*, going to pull it at 120* and rest it under a light tent:


I will slice it into four steaks tomorrow then they will be ready for a hot sear on the grill at the hotel next week!!!
post #2 of 13

Dave

 It looks great. 5# cut in 4 steaks= 1 big steak.

Happy smoken.

David

post #3 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Dave
 It looks great. 5# cut in 4 steaks= 1 big steak.
Happy smoken.
David

Yea I guess so..........................

post #4 of 13

Those look great Dave!  Yummers....

 

Understand about the Rain.....we need an Ark here!

 

Kat

post #5 of 13
Send some rain to us in the panhandle of TX
post #6 of 13
Looks really tasty, and will make for a great meal while on the road!
post #7 of 13
Steaks look awesome!
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaks View Post

Send some rain to us in the panhandle of TX


Oh I so would share....If Mother Nature would just listen!

 

Kat

post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Those look great Dave!  Yummers....

Understand about the Rain.....we need an Ark here!

Kat

Thanks Kat!
Yea it's raining again today and looks like all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks really tasty, and will make for a great meal while on the road!

Thanks Case!
While everyone else is eating Hot Pockets and Hungry Mans, I'll be eating good!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speaks View Post

Steaks look awesome!

Thanks Speaks!
post #10 of 13

...going TDY...  I am gov't also.  Gotta LOVE this furlough Biz.

 

Great roast/steak cook!  Those are going to be awesome.  I got a new foodsaver to do stuff like this.

 

I'm with KAT - Ark building is underway on this side of the Mountain!

post #11 of 13

Those hunks of manly steaks sure beat restaurant grub..   They look awesome....  Perfect "twitch" left in 'em.....  Ummmm Ummmm Good...

post #12 of 13

Looks Good Rookie!...I mean Dave, Super Moderator, Sir...banana_smiley.gif...JJ

post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama BBQ View Post

...going TDY...  I am gov't also.  Gotta LOVE this furlough Biz.

Great roast/steak cook!  Those are going to be awesome.  I got a new foodsaver to do stuff like this.

I'm with KAT - Ark building is underway on this side of the Mountain!

Thanks Bama!!
Vac/sealers are Awesome!
Yea I'm loving this furlough too, I'm a contractor and the building we work out of is Govt. and they have to close the building every Friday until the end of Sept. so I get paid to sit at the house and smoke meat every Friday!!!!yahoo.gif (except going TDY so I will miss 3 of those free Fridays)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOmak View Post

Those hunks of manly steaks sure beat restaurant grub..   They look awesome....  Perfect "twitch" left in 'em.....  Ummmm Ummmm Good...

Thanks Dave!
Yea food on the road gets old quick so I always try to bring some with me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

Looks Good Rookie!...I mean Dave, Super Moderator, Sir...banana_smiley.gif
...JJ

Thanks JJ!
I still feel like a rookie, learning new things all the time!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › NY Strip in a Wet to Dry (well not so dry) Chamber