or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Three Racks of Baby Backs - Need a Little Advice - Qview
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Three Racks of Baby Backs - Need a Little Advice - Qview

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 

Hi all,

 

I recently smoked three racks of baby backs using the 2-2-1 method.  They turned out pretty good, but I know I can do a lot better with a little advice.  I'm wondering if I needed to cook them longer as they were a bit dry, especially in the middle.  The racks were a bit meatier than I'm used to seeing, although being new to this I really don't have much to compare against except what I've seen in restaurants.

 

Here are some pics.

 

From top to bottom, here's how they were prepared:

1.  Shultz's dry rub and apple cider used during foiling

2.  Jeff's rub and apple cider used during foiling

3.  Jeff's rub and Chef Jimmy's foiling juice

 

I kept the smoker between 220 and 240 the whole time

 

 

 

 

The clear winner was the rack with Chef Jimmy's foiling juice - they were outstanding.  In addition to being the best flavor, that rack seemed to be quite a bit more tender and juicy than the other two, however, they were still a little tough and dry in the middle.

 

I keep hearing everyone say the meat falls off the bone when using the foiling method, so I'm wondering where I came up short.  The ends were somewhat pull-off-the bone, but as mentioned, fairly tough and dry otherwise.

 

I should also note that I expected the meat to pull away from the ends of the bones more after cooking.  The obvious solution may be that these needed to be cooked longer, but since they seemed dry in the middle, I want to make sure it's not something else.

 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.


Rick

post #2 of 9

What temp did you cook at and where did you measure that temp?  If you were using the lid thermometer I'd say that was your issue.  I believe if they were tough they weren't cooked long enough.

post #3 of 9

Probably they were a bit under cooked. Size does matter, if they were larger than what you are used to then they probably needed a longer cooking time, especially if you were cooking at a low and slow temp.

Remember the bend test for doneness-

 

bendtest.jpg

post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama BBQ View Post

What temp did you cook at and where did you measure that temp?  If you were using the lid thermometer I'd say that was your issue.  I believe if they were tough they weren't cooked long enough.

Yeah, sorry, I realized I left out the temp but have edited it now.  I kept the smoker between 220 and 240.  Used a Maverick so I think the temp was good.

 

Thanks!

post #5 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcarter View Post

Probably they were a bit under cooked. Size does matter, if they were larger than what you are used to then they probably needed a longer cooking time, especially if you were cooking at a low and slow temp.

Remember the bend test for doneness-

 

bendtest.jpg

Thanks, I'll give the bend test a go next time.  When bending like that, should the be splitting at the bend as well - almost like it wants to break off?

post #6 of 9

It should split a bit. I have had them break at the bend which indicates they are overdone, fall off the bone ribs IMHO. YMMV.

It's the angle of the bend you should look for, 45° is what you want, less and they are undercooked, more and they're overcooked. Again YMMV if you like fall off the bone, but try to avoid taking them off when the bend is under 45° because they will be tough.

post #7 of 9

After reviewing your post of the ribs, I would say a little more time in foil with the Foiling Juice, 30 Minutes, would make a difference. You can always take the time off the last hour to stay within the guideline 5 hour cook time of 2-2-1. I like tender but not exactly fall of the bone. I like to Foil meat down as well, lots of contact with the Juice...JJ

post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffcarter View Post

It should split a bit. I have had them break at the bend which indicates they are overdone, fall off the bone ribs IMHO. YMMV.

It's the angle of the bend you should look for, 45° is what you want, less and they are undercooked, more and they're overcooked. Again YMMV if you like fall off the bone, but try to avoid taking them off when the bend is under 45° because they will be tough.

Thanks again, I will give this a go next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef JimmyJ View Post

After reviewing your post of the ribs, I would say a little more time in foil with the Foiling Juice, 30 Minutes, would make a difference. You can always take the time off the last hour to stay within the guideline 5 hour cook time of 2-2-1. I like tender but not exactly fall of the bone. I like to Foil meat down as well, lots of contact with the Juice...JJ

Thanks to you as well Chef Jimmy.  As others have mentioned, using your foiling juice made for the best ribs I've ever tasted.  Can't wait to get the tenderness right next time.  I'll give it a try meat down and an extra 30 min. That sounds like it will definitely help.

post #9 of 9

I experimented with 30 minutes less time with mine during the 4th of July.  Trust me....30 minutes will make the difference.  I should have let the clock keep ticking.

 

Kat

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › Three Racks of Baby Backs - Need a Little Advice - Qview