or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Insufficient Cure?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Insufficient Cure?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Two weeks ago I threw a few elk roasts in a batch of Pop's brine. I took them out today to dry tonight and smoke them tomorrow, for something like Bearcarvers dried beef. But when I took them out of the bag, they are kind of multicolored. Some parts are more reddish, and then others are more greyish. Hopefully you can tell in the pics.

 

They were submerged in a ziploc bac and I flipped the bag every day or two. But could it be that some of the pieces didn't get the cure because they were pressed against the edge of the bag?

 

I'm not sure, and maybe it's fine. I just thought I'd see what everyone's opinion here is.

 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 15
They're fine....... Smoke away................
post #3 of 15

The color is normal. Did you inject them with brine?

 

Here is a picture of pork butts after 14 days.

 

 

Your are going to have some good stuff when you get done today!

post #4 of 15

As said above, they're fine.

 

If it was insufficient cure it would be gray in the center. Your interior is nice and pink.

 

It will all get a nice dark mahogany after smoking.

 

Bear

post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Thanks everyone. I haven't cut those up or anything, that's how they came out of the bag, and I just thought it was strange some were red and some were not.

 

I'll go ahead and smoke them today.

post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 

Smoked them today to about 158. Will slice them up later this week.

 

AppleMark

 

post #7 of 15
What did you use for a rub?
post #8 of 15

It's just from the pieces pressing together in the bag, very normal.  Here is what 'undercured' meat looks like:

 

 

 

 

As you can see, the product cured from the outside-in, but didn't allow sufficient time for it to cure all the way through.   A good case for the reason to inject; you are then curing from the outside-in and from the inside-out, eliminating the problem, also eliminates the problem of the meat souring in the center before cure can reach 

 

The situation causing the red spots on the exterior is explained in this post:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/117772/youngest-sons-bb-bacon#post_771341

 

in maybe more detail than necessary, but does provide the answer.

post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2K9K View Post

What did you use for a rub?

I just sprinkled on a little pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops6927 View Post

It's just from the pieces pressing together in the bag, very normal.  Here is what 'undercured' meat looks like:

 

 

 

 

As you can see, the product cured from the outside-in, but didn't allow sufficient time for it to cure all the way through.   A good case for the reason to inject; you are then curing from the outside-in and from the inside-out, eliminating the problem, also eliminates the problem of the meat souring in the center before cure can reach 

 

The situation causing the red spots on the exterior is explained in this post:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/117772/youngest-sons-bb-bacon#post_771341

 

in maybe more detail than necessary, but does provide the answer.

Thanks. When I cut it open hopefully it looks good. None of the meat was too thick, I usually do inject if they get too thick, like a bigger loin.

post #10 of 15

Travis,

Just a reminder:

Make sure you slice that stuff very thin !!!!

 

 

Bear

post #11 of 15

Travis, are you sure today is not the day you are going to slice into one? I'm kidding they look very nice!

post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Travis,

Just a reminder:

Make sure you slice that stuff very thin !!!!

 

 

Bear

That's why I got the electric slicer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodcutter View Post

Travis, are you sure today is not the day you are going to slice into one? I'm kidding they look very nice!

I'm seriously considering taking a peek right now!

post #13 of 15
Thread Starter 

Sliced and sealed it. Turned out well.

 

sliced extra thin for bear

post #14 of 15

Looks Great, Travis!!!drool.gif

 

Looks like it only has one side!!biggrin.gif

 

Thanks for thinking about me!!

 

 

Bear

post #15 of 15

Travis

That is some nive looking slices.

Happy smoken.

David

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Insufficient Cure?