or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Venison Scrapple & Fried Potatoes
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Venison Scrapple & Fried Potatoes

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
Got a new Batch of Venison Scrapple, and it tastes as good as always!!

Thought you guys would like to see a Pic or 2.

Enjoy,
Bear



Got 4 blocks like the one in front (about 5 pounds each):



Frying thin slices, nice & crispy on the outside:



We never have Scrapple without Pan Fried Taters (in Butter):

__________________

post #2 of 14

Looks MY T TASTY.

Happy smoken.

David

post #3 of 14

Hello Bear.  I gotta tell ya, I had to google that.  Scrapple is somethin I have never seen or heard of.  But anything that looks that good gotta be on tha to do list!  Thanks for sharin.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

post #4 of 14
venison scrapple you say??...looks good bear! scrapple...definitely a PA thing. lol.
post #5 of 14

A neighbor of ours treated us to some Scrapple a few years back.  Love that with the fried "taters"!  Yumm

 

Kat

post #6 of 14

Scrapple is typically made of  hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.

A few manufacturers have introduced beef and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available

 

This is what you will find if you google Scrapple.

 

Happy smoken.

David


Edited by themule69 - 6/28/13 at 8:53am
post #7 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Scrapple is typically made of  hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.

A few manufacturers have introduced beef and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available

 

This is what you will find if you google Scrapple.

 

Happy smoken.

David

 

what u meant to say was its made from everything but the oink...lol.
post #8 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnandBurn View Post

 

what u meant to say was its made from everything but the oink...lol.

Pretty much. But it sure is good. I have never had it made with venison. But I know it would be good.

David

post #9 of 14

Looking mighty fine Bear.  Brings back memory's of my dad making it, which I have never done, loved it though.

 

Thanks.

 

Tom

post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Looks MY T TASTY.

Happy smoken.

David

Thanks Mule!!

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC5TPY View Post

Hello Bear.  I gotta tell ya, I had to google that.  Scrapple is somethin I have never seen or heard of.  But anything that looks that good gotta be on tha to do list!  Thanks for sharin.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

 

Thanks Danny!!

See Below.

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

A neighbor of ours treated us to some Scrapple a few years back.  Love that with the fried "taters"!  Yumm

 

Kat

 

Thank You Kat !!

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnandBurn View Post

venison scrapple you say??...looks good bear! scrapple...definitely a PA thing. lol.

 

Thanks T&B !!

This batch was made over near the Delaware River, by a bunch of guys who each contribute some of their Deer parts. They all help stir it & pour it and everything. Then it gets divvied up into the amounts ordered before the cooking started. Two of my BILs were in that bunch.
One of the Great things about living in SE PA is that this is the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. All of our grocery stores sell Scrapple & most of the restaurants serve Scrapple daily.
Some people put syrup or Apple Butter on it.
Personally, if it's not very good Scrapple, I put a little ketchup on it, but if it's good Scrapple, I just sprinkle a little Salt & Pepper on it.

 

 

Bear

post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

Thanks Mule!!

 

Bear

 

 

Thanks Danny!!

See Below.

 

Bear

 

 

Thank You Kat !!

 

Bear

 

 

Thanks T&B !!

This batch was made over near the Delaware River, by a bunch of guys who each contribute some of their Deer parts. They all help stir it & pour it and everything. Then it gets divvied up into the amounts ordered before the cooking started. Two of my BILs were in that bunch.
One of the Great things about living in SE PA is that this is the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch country. All of our grocery stores sell Scrapple & most of the restaurants serve Scrapple daily.
Some people put syrup or Apple Butter on it.
Personally, if it's not very good Scrapple, I put a little ketchup on it, but if it's good Scrapple, I just sprinkle a little Salt & Pepper on it.

 

 

Bear

 

yes sir. ive got friends in lancaster,PA. been there a few times on a R&R...simple livin. first time i ever saw amish ppl other than on tv. where i had my first scrapple. i had mine with syrup and with apple butter. everyone silently watched as i ate it....i was wondering why everyone was staring at me..haha. after a few stories of things ive eaten before around the world everyone was like, oh well then yeh you should have no problem eating this then..haha. good times.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Scrapple is typically made of  hog offal, such as the head, heart, liver, and other trimmings, which are boiled with any bones attached (often the entire head), to make a broth. Once cooked, bones and fat are discarded, the meat is reserved, and (dry) cornmeal is boiled in the broth to make a mush. The meat, finely minced, is returned to the pot and seasonings, typically sage, thyme, savory, black pepper, and others are added. The mush is formed into loaves and allowed to cool thoroughly until set. The proportions and seasoning are very much a matter of the region and the cook's taste.

A few manufacturers have introduced beef and turkey varieties and color the loaf to retain the traditional coloration derived from the original pork liver base. Home recipes for chicken and turkey scrapple are also available

 

This is what you will find if you google Scrapple.

 

Happy smoken.

David

 

I haven't helped for many years, but that sounds in the realm of what is generally used, except when huge amounts of Venison is tossed in.

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnandBurn View Post

 

what u meant to say was its made from everything but the oink...lol.

 

Sometimes the Oink gets thrown in too.

 

Bear

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by themule69 View Post

Pretty much. But it sure is good. I have never had it made with venison. But I know it would be good.

David

 

Definitely is good, unless the makers don't know what they're doing. Ran into one of them years ago!!!

 

Bear

post #13 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr T 59874 View Post

Looking mighty fine Bear.  Brings back memory's of my dad making it, which I have never done, loved it though.

 

Thanks.

 

Tom

 

Thanks Tom!!

 

Bear

post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcarver View Post

 

Thanks Tom!!

 

Bear

No thank you.  Went to sleep last night thinking of your scrapple.  Now you know how gray hair effects you.

 

Tom

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Wild Game
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Wild Game › Venison Scrapple & Fried Potatoes