Good afternoon! I'm thinking about smoking a pork shoulder on July 4th, but there are a couple of speedbumps I have to deal with: I have to take the finished (and resting) product to my in-laws' house that afternoon, which is an hour away. And my wife will want to leave as early in the afternoon as possible. So I'm thinking about a battle plan like this:
- Find a smaller shoulder, maybe 5~6 pounds.
- Night before, inject it with 2/3 apple juice, 1/3 apple cider vinegar with some of my run mixed into the injection.
- Use my Smoke Hollow No. 6 propane smoker with apple wood chunks.
- At 6 AM-ish, put the shoulder on the smoker at 250. Let it smoke for 3 hours or so, the in-laws don't like a strong smoke flavor or crunchy bark.
- Put the shoulder in an aluminum tray, pour over some of the injection for steam, and wrap with foil.
- At this point, pull a Myron Mixon and go into power-cook mode. Run the temp up to 300~325 degrees.
- Hope it hits the magic 190 degrees by about 3 PM.
- Pull it from smoker, double-wrap in beach towels, put in a Coleman cooler and hit the road.
So to the more experienced, does this plan seem feasible? Or am I dooming myself to producing something my in-laws will not like?
Also... if I hit the point of leaving and I'm not at 190 degrees, what about pulling it, driving to their house (an hour away) and putting in their over to finish?