SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First Pork Butt...Trying to Remain Humble
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Pork Butt...Trying to Remain Humble - Page 2

post #21 of 33

Looks really good! I did my first ever Turkey and pork butt smokes on a Meco smoker very similar to yours years ago! I wish there had been a forum like this for me to lean on back then!  That poor old smoker rusted to pieces but I have some good memories of battling it out and producing some great smoked food!

post #22 of 33

You mentioned you used the drippings, did you have it in a pan while smoking? and still got that bark?

post #23 of 33

Looks really good there!  Great job!

 

Kat

post #24 of 33

i big 9 lb pork butt was my very first smoke a little over a month ago. while did take way longer than i thought (18 hrs)due to temp probs in my offset smoker it was the best meat ive ever cooked.  what a great way to build confidence with a new cooking technique!

 

 

your butt looks amazing and i was pleasantly surprised when i tried bark for the first time.  thought it would taste burnt.  man i was wrong. meat candy is the best part , and yours looks perfect.

 

nice job and Happy Smoke!

post #25 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmaloney01 View Post

You mentioned you used the drippings, did you have it in a pan while smoking? and still got that bark?

 

Awesome question.....no, no pan.  I had it sitting on the grill, but a water/drippings pan underneath.  After the smoke, I just put the drippings in a container and into the fridge.  Then the next morning, scraped off the fat/wax on top, and heated then poured the uber delish drippings onto the pulled pork.   Soooooooo, gooooooood.  I'll never do it any other way!

post #26 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagbeard View Post

i big 9 lb pork butt was my very first smoke a little over a month ago. while did take way longer than i thought (18 hrs)due to temp probs in my offset smoker it was the best meat ive ever cooked.  what a great way to build confidence with a new cooking technique!

 

 

your butt looks amazing and i was pleasantly surprised when i tried bark for the first time.  thought it would taste burnt.  man i was wrong. meat candy is the best part , and yours looks perfect.

 

nice job and Happy Smoke!

 

 

 Thanks fellow beardo!  Yeah, I was super pumped, so good.  Got all that delish smoked bark in my beard, I was tasting and smelling it for hours, ahhahhahahahahahahhahaaahahahaa.

 

beercheer.gif

post #27 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Looks really good! I did my first ever Turkey and pork butt smokes on a Meco smoker very similar to yours years ago! I wish there had been a forum like this for me to lean on back then!  That poor old smoker rusted to pieces but I have some good memories of battling it out and producing some great smoked food!

 

 

Yes, this forum is so much fun, it's ridiculous that it's legal!  Love it, love it!  Hope I can help somebody even more green than myself!

 

Thanks!

post #28 of 33

Great looking pork!

 

I too was heavily guided in my pulled pork by some of the people you mentioned plus Seenred, KathrynN, Nepas, and many others. I still check out everyone's first posts of a dish because I love to see successes like yours. This forum rocks!

 

Disco

post #29 of 33

did you inject?

do you mind sharing your rub recipe?

 

looks great!!

post #30 of 33

WOW thats alot of bark, an I thought mine had alot of bark.

 

Nothing compared to yours.

 

Looks awesome

post #31 of 33
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensondrive View Post
 

did you inject?

do you mind sharing your rub recipe?

 

looks great!!

No injection.  This butt was so juicy and flavorful, I fear injection would only drain some valuable juices!  Do you do that with success?

 

My rub recipe was basically SoFlaQuer's recipe, with some modifications.  I hate cider vinegar so I removed that, then added a bunch of stuff like:

 

turbinado sugar

paprika

granulated garlic

granulated onion

celery salt

cayenne

chipotle

allspice

salt

 

My next picnic (currently on the smoker) will have some apple juice mixed with the drippings and some of the rub/finishing sauce.

post #32 of 33
Thread Starter 
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
 

Great looking pork!

 

I too was heavily guided in my pulled pork by some of the people you mentioned plus Seenred, KathrynN, Nepas, and many others. I still check out everyone's first posts of a dish because I love to see successes like yours. This forum rocks!

 

Disco

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
 

WOW thats alot of bark, an I thought mine had alot of bark.

 

Nothing compared to yours.

 

Looks awesome

 

Thanks guys, yep this forum is awesome, I love it!  I'm glad spring/summer is back so I can get my smoker blowing again.  Winter kills my temps with no insulation so it sits dormant all winter.  :th_crybaby2:

 

But I've got another one on right now, so...  :banana_smiley:

 

My bark was amazing on that one, I'm hoping the one smoking right now will live up to it!   :first: 

post #33 of 33
My first attempt at smoking a pork butt on my Weber kettle grill. I followed everyone's suggestions except wrapping thru the stall. 16 hrs.later I have this.



New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pork
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Pork › First Pork Butt...Trying to Remain Humble