My Family took the hint! They knew I was interested in getting a smoker, so they looked around, did a little research and bought me a Masterbuilt Dual Fuel Smoker for Fathers Day! (I got it early cuz they couldn't find a place to hide it!) I don't know anyone else who even has a smoker (other than the butcher shops) here in Moose Jaw, Sk. Canada., so I am about as raw as you can get. The only things I know about smoking I have learned from reading on these forums and similar websites. I have found there is quite a bit of contradictory information out there, which leads to questions:
1) The Water Pan is too small, they say. What will happen if I use the pan that came with it?
2) The manual says, NEVER use wood chunks, only chips. Why? Why do people say they use chunks anyway? How often will I have to add chips / chunks to the smoker box?
3) Is there a benefit to charcoal over propane? (or vice versa)
4) Should I really use a cast iron frying pan instead of the chip box that came with?
5) What is the number 1 tip for controlling heat? How do I set the dampers
Anyway, I will likely start with smaller smokes before I tackle the bigger chunks of meat, but I am looking forward to getting started. I was thinking this weekend but rain might put a crimp in the plans.