SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Dirtsailor's High Temp Chicken Smoke. Debunking that low and slow, brined and spritzed is the only way to get moist Chicken!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Dirtsailor's High Temp Chicken Smoke. Debunking that low and slow, brined and spritzed is the only way to get moist Chicken!!! - Page 3

post #41 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

That chicken looks incredible! Sadly there is no way I can get my Bradley to those kind of temperatures but I do crank it as high as I can and have learned from this forum you can crisp on the grill. Thanks for the great post.

Thanks Disco! It sounds like you should build yourself a Mini-WSM!!! Everyone needs a portable smoker/grill!

post #42 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JckDanls 07 View Post

Nice looking bird... these Mini's are awesome.. are they not ? gonna do a butt in mine tomorrow.. I cut the bottom out of my pot.. made a rack to fit all the way down in the bottom with a piece of 1/4" plate sitting on that.. it has about a 1/2" opening all the way around it for the heat and smoke to come up threw.. and then i have a 12" cast iron skillet sitting on top of the plate... so plenty of heat sync that also serves as a catch pan...

Thank you Kieth! Yes, the Mini-WSM is AWESOME!!! I;ll be looking for your post to see how your Butt smoke goes. My original pot I just drilled holes. My second pot I cut the bottom out. The charcoal grate that comes with the Smokey Joe fits nicely on mine. I have a 12" ceramic planter tray wrapped in foil on that. And then the first rack sits right on that. I have a 15-20 degree temp difference from upper to lower rack with that setup. If I pull the heat diffuser, the temp difference is considerably more. I have used the streamer tray as a diffuser but the temp swings in inclimate weather creates a bunch baby sitting.

post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Thanks Disco! It sounds like you should build yourself a Mini-WSM!!! Everyone needs a portable smoker/grill!

Har! I'll give you my wife's phone number. In the last year, I bought my Bradley, and LEM Stuffer and an AMNPS. If I bought another smoking item, I suspect I may suffer personal injury. 

 

Maybe next year!

 

Disco

post #44 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post

Har! I'll give you my wife's phone number. In the last year, I bought my Bradley, and LEM Stuffer and an AMNPS. If I bought another smoking item, I suspect I may suffer personal injury. 

 

Maybe next year!

 

Disco

I know how that goes. I brought up the idea of building a cob oven in the backyard today to my fiancee... It'd have to be big enough for me to sleep in! Images of Hansel and Gretel running through my head!

post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

I know how that goes. I brought up the idea of building a cob oven in the backyard today to my fiancee... It'd have to be big enough for me to sleep in! Images of Hansel and Gretel running through my head!

 

ROFLMAO

post #46 of 55

Chicken looks great...I am cooking a 1/2 bird today on a SFB, but I might finish on the Gas grill. How was the smoke flavor? Not much ring present....but wow, so juicy! Where did you get that mini?

post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmoke View Post

Chicken looks great...I am cooking a 1/2 bird today on a SFB, but I might finish on the Gas grill. How was the smoke flavor? Not much ring present....but wow, so juicy! Where did you get that mini?

Most of the chicken won't give you a smoke ring...sometimes a tad bit in the working muscles where there is a higher content of myoglobin.  Free range chickens more so than non. 

post #48 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmoke View Post

Chicken looks great...I am cooking a 1/2 bird today on a SFB, but I might finish on the Gas grill. How was the smoke flavor? Not much ring present....but wow, so juicy! Where did you get that mini?

I don't worry about the "Smoke Ring" I'm more worried about proper texture and flavor. I built the Mini-WSM. I have several threads here showing the build and mods I've made.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post


I don't worry about the "Smoke Ring" I'm more worried about proper texture and flavor. I built the Mini-WSM. I have several threads here showing the build and mods I've made.

The best mod you could make is adding blue and gold...might work better. ;)

post #50 of 55
Thread Starter 

Just a bump as someone asked about this thread.

post #51 of 55
I'm a little late to this thread but this is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 14" wsm and I need this step by step. Thank you so much and have a happy thanksgiving!!
post #52 of 55

Just saw this. Dang that chicken looks good! 

post #53 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by appwsmsmkr1 View Post

I'm a little late to this thread but this is exactly what I'm looking for. I have a 14" wsm and I need this step by step. Thank you so much and have a happy thanksgiving!!

You're welcome! For a Mega overload of cooks on the mini-wsm check this out:

 

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/191066/dirtsailors-mega-mother-of-all-cooking-links-index

post #54 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4PoGo7 View Post
 

Just saw this. Dang that chicken looks good! 

Thank you! I smoke 99% of my whole chickens using this method (spatchcocked).

post #55 of 55

Looks Great!  I was always afraid of dry birds with that kind of heat.  Gotta go back and rethink this process.  Next chicken will be High Heat and I expect it will turn out as good looking as yours.

 

Thanks for the info

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Poultry
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Poultry › Dirtsailor's High Temp Chicken Smoke. Debunking that low and slow, brined and spritzed is the only way to get moist Chicken!!!