or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › "The only kind of seafood I trust is the fish stick, a totally featureless fish that doesn't have eyeballs or fins"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

"The only kind of seafood I trust is the fish stick, a totally featureless fish that doesn't have eyeballs or fins" - Page 2

post #21 of 35
I thought lingcod were bigger than that! ;)




Actually, I am surprised you are allowed to keep them this early in the year. We are not allowed to keep them out of Kodiak until July because the females are sitting on nests and if they are caught the brood is toast. They are my favorite fish in many ways.

Brined, lightly smoked, and finished off under a very hot broiler or on a hot grill for just a couple minutes is awesome eating fish...
post #22 of 35
That's it! Dirt....you have done it now! Keep the light on...I am coming up!!!! Lol

Scenery is beautiful! Jealous! Love to fish!

Dinner looks might good!

Kat
post #23 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKhap View Post

I thought lingcod were bigger than that! ;)

Actually, I am surprised you are allowed to keep them this early in the year. We are not allowed to keep them out of Kodiak until July because the females are sitting on nests and if they are caught the brood is toast. They are my favorite fish in many ways.

Brined, lightly smoked, and finished off under a very hot broiler or on a hot grill for just a couple minutes is awesome eating fish...

Well there were several years we couldn't fish for them at all! Now after many years of fish management we can again. We are allowed 2 over 22". The inshore fishery where we fish mostly is predominately loaded with males. What the biologists have found for our area is that the males actually guard the eggs. The larger females head out to deeper waters, where we can't always fish. There were two boats that did deep water trips on the same day and they brought back the ones like pictured in your photos! Great for advertising, but I much prefer eating the smaller guys! I filleted a total of ten ling this weekend and they all were males! On another note we can't keep Yellow eye, Canary, or Vermillion rockfish. We can only keep 1 cabezon from june-aug. Limits now are 7 combined rockfish and 2 lingcod. Back in my days it was 15 rockfish and 3 ling! 7 and 2 is plenty in my opinion.

post #24 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

That's it! Dirt....you have done it now! Keep the light on...I am coming up!!!! Lol

Scenery is beautiful! Jealous! Love to fish!

Dinner looks might good!

Kat

Pack up the Witchy Woman in the Miata and come on out! Oregon is one great state to visit.

post #25 of 35
Nice weather for the bay, never seen it that calm. Been down there and watched the CG rifle through that channel in some nasty conditions from the observation deck under the east side of the bridge, very impressive. Miss the salt water taffy I used to get there as a kid too!
post #26 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Happens View Post

Nice weather for the bay, never seen it that calm. Been down there and watched the CG rifle through that channel in some nasty conditions from the observation deck under the east side of the bridge, very impressive. Miss the salt water taffy I used to get there as a kid too!

Sounds like you need to make a trip and visit!!! Put some wings and a prop on that smoker and fly on down! Kat could stick a broom under Witchy Woman and you all could fly down! nice landing strip at Salishan!

post #27 of 35
Lol, sounds great! Used to go several times a year when the grandparents lived in Salem, been about 3 or so years since I have been though. Fishing trip sounds like a good excuse though
post #28 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Happens View Post

Lol, sounds great! Used to go several times a year when the grandparents lived in Salem, been about 3 or so years since I have been though. Fishing trip sounds like a good excuse though

Sounds like we need a SMF fishing gathering aboard my uncles boat sometime!  Fishing then a smoke afterwards!

post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Well there were several years we couldn't fish for them at all! Now after many years of fish management we can again. We are allowed 2 over 22". The inshore fishery where we fish mostly is predominately loaded with males. What the biologists have found for our area is that the males actually guard the eggs. The larger females head out to deeper waters, where we can't always fish. There were two boats that did deep water trips on the same day and they brought back the ones like pictured in your photos! Great for advertising, but I much prefer eating the smaller guys! I filleted a total of ten ling this weekend and they all were males! On another note we can't keep Yellow eye, Canary, or Vermillion rockfish. We can only keep 1 cabezon from june-aug. Limits now are 7 combined rockfish and 2 lingcod. Back in my days it was 15 rockfish and 3 ling! 7 and 2 is plenty in my opinion.

Start talking about lowering limits and you will make me tear up! Until a couple years ago our yelloweye limit was 10 per day... now it is one. And it was done not for biological reasons but rather to "disincentivize" sports fishermen...

I hate being disincentivized!

Big lingcod have never turned me off... Smoked they are incredible.

Will have to give the lingcod bio a call... I am very curious about the findings you mention, and I have some other questions for them anyway.
art
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsailor2003 View Post

Sounds like we need a SMF fishing gathering aboard my uncles boat sometime!  Fishing then a smoke afterwards!

 

I think you may be on to something there....

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Happens View Post

 

I think you may be on to something there....

Checking frequent flier points now.biggrin.gif We have Ling cod here looks a bit different but must be same family. My favourite for fish curry.

post #32 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moikel View Post

Checking frequent flier points now.biggrin.gif We have Ling cod here looks a bit different but must be same family. My favourite for fish curry.

Is this your Ling? Different species, but reading the description it sounds like the meat has similar properties.

 

"Ling is a densely textured fish, fresh very white and firm, holds shape well in cooking"

"A lean fish with a bland flavor the flesh of the Ling Cod is often greenish in color but turns white when cooked. The meat is tender yet firm and a little chewy with large soft , moist flakes."

 

http://www.sea-ex.com/fishphotos/ling.htm

 

 

So now what is your curry recipe? I make a great fresh green curry:

 

  • 1 stalk  lemongrass, minced or 3 Tbsp. prepared frozen or bottled lemongrass
  • 1-3 green chilies, sliced (Thai green chilies  jalapeno)
  • 1 shallot, sliced, OR 4 Tbsp. minced purple onion
  • 4-5 cloves garlic
  • 1 thumb-size piece of galangal or ginger, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh coriander/cilantro leaves & stems
  • 1/2 cup fresh basil
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
  • 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
  • 3 Tbsp. fish sauce; Vegetarians: substitute 1 Tbsp. soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. shrimp paste; Vegetarians: substitute 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. lime juice
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar
  • 3-4 Tbsp. coconut milk (enough to blend ingredients together)

 

Preparation:

  1. Place all ingredients in a food processor, chopper, or blender.

Process well to form a fragrant Thai green curry paste. Taste-test it for salt and spice. If too salty, add a squeeze of fresh lime or lemon juice. Add more chili for more heat. Your curry paste is now ready to be used. You can bottle up any leftovers and keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Freeze thereafter.

post #33 of 35

Don't know how I missed this thread before...that's some beautiful scenery, DS.  I've been just about everywhere in the U.S. except the Pacific Northwest.  Its on my bucket list, have always heard its some awful pretty country.

post #34 of 35

I have posted my curry recipe/method before.Most recent batch was 12kg ,yes 12kg.I spread it around a big circle of people.What you posted looks 100 % authentic.Mine is a bit different & keeps forever.

I am a freestyle cook .I have made my curry paste for 15 years no 2 batches identical.I think my last batch was the best I ever made . Additional ingredients easy for me down here; fresh turmeric,kaffir lime leaf, palm sugar instead of brown but no biggie I also use lime juice & zest & roots of coriander. I dont make a green, mine are red or I make what thai people call a jungle curry with habaneros. Not that thais have habanero but I do. i bind mine with canola oil or similar .Add salt to stop garlic fermenting.Will use galangal & ginger

Now spices .I used to grind,coriander,cumin,fenugreek,pepper,yellow mustard ,fennel seed etc from scratch. But then I came across this Malaysian brand of powders in photo. $3 for 250gm yellow is seafood,green meat.Really hard to go past.I still grind but use these as well .Just a great product .Really well blended,authentic very popular amongst our Asian community. You could do a lot worse (if you were time poor) shortcutting it & blend your fresh ingredients with the powder& bump the chilli.My office is near Chinatown more Asia town now.Green has cinnamon,cardamon ,star anise & cloves as well. This is to me real cultural melting pot style curry my personal favourite.

If you want other one country style curry I have posted Sri Lankan,Fijian /Indian  then,Jamaican & Mauritian ( bit more natural fusion) .They are all on the forum.I share everything.

Our ling are all sold filleted but I have seen them come off the trawlers at Greenwell Point.Ours are a grey or pink but same shape & head.Firm dense flesh best fish for curry for the price.

post #35 of 35

Hi a newbie from the UK but as to fishsticks (we call them fish fingers ??) a great product you can fit 4 in a sandwich using sliced white bread drool.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Fish
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Fish › "The only kind of seafood I trust is the fish stick, a totally featureless fish that doesn't have eyeballs or fins"