or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Slow Cooked Corned Beef VS Smoked Corned Beef
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Slow Cooked Corned Beef VS Smoked Corned Beef

post #1 of 19
Thread Starter 

They didn't have any large corned beef brisket packs at Wallyworld when I went.  So, I picked up a couple 2 pounders.  I decided to throw one in the smoker and one in the crock pot.

 

Half an onion, a head of garlic, two jalapenos, one poblano, two tablespoons of dark brown sugar, one tablespoon pickling spice, and a bay leaf:

 

Added the brisket(well rinsed):

 

Now it's swimming in two bottles of Guinness Black Lager:

 

 

I added water until the meat was covered then cooked for 6 hours(It would have been done at 3.  I did this about a month before with a 4 pounder and it was perfect at 6 hours.  I forgot this was a little guy, so it was overcooked.)  I also lost the picture I took after it was done.  I am having problems with my "smart" phone.

 

This was the other brisket(soaked for 4 hours and rubbed overnight in the fridge).

The rub was 2 tablespoons of pickling spice(course ground), 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper, 1 tablespoon onion powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder

 

Into the smoker at 225F:

 

I figured I would also try to smoke some carrots and potatoes while I'm at it.  Rough chopped carrots & redskin potatoes, a little onion, a few pats of butter(I was out of EVOO), salt & pepper.

 

 

I put the veggies in at the 3 hour point.  Here's a pic of the beef at that point:

 

This was after 6 hours:

 

 

 

And the veggies(I had them on a foil "plate" for the first two hours, then wrapped the foil for the last hour):

 

Bear view!

 

Sliced(Oops!  I realized the wrong way after the picture):

 

 

I thought it was a little overdone and a bit on the salty side.  Next time I'll soak longer.

post #2 of 19

That looks tasty, I could go for a plate of that.

 

Chuck

post #3 of 19

Nicely done DJ.  At what temp did you smoke the brisket?

post #4 of 19

Smoked corned beef is pastrami. looks like a mighty tasty meal.

post #5 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGSmoker64 View Post

Nicely done DJ.  At what temp did you smoke the brisket?

It was done at 225F.

post #6 of 19

Which one did you like the best?

post #7 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Which one did you like the best?

It's hard to say.  I was glad to have them both on the same plate though smile.gif

post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj Mishima View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynN View Post

Which one did you like the best?

It's hard to say.  I was glad to have them both on the same plate though smile.gif


Both looked awesome!

post #9 of 19

Idon't know where you came from but Corned Beef is not Pastrami... the brining process is about the same but with different spices... Take the taste test yourself at the local Hy-Vee. HGD

post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderlineanger View Post

Idon't know where you came from but Corned Beef is not Pastrami... the brining process is about the same but with different spices... Take the taste test yourself at the local Hy-Vee. HGD

I see this is your first post here so when you get a minute would you stop by "Roll Call" and tell us a little about yourself so we can give you a proper SMF Welcome, Thanks!

post #11 of 19

Looks-Great.gif

 

How were the veggies?

 

I did brisket the other day and they would have been a great addition drool.gif

 

JD

post #12 of 19

Well how did it taste???

post #13 of 19
To get the smoked one better, try letting it cool over night then steaming it back up to temp the next day, whole. I just did 1 that way and it came out awesome.
post #14 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoker21 View Post

Looks-Great.gif

 

How were the veggies?

 

I did brisket the other day and they would have been a great addition drool.gif

 

JD

They were pretty tasty!

post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by fagesbp View Post

To get the smoked one better, try letting it cool over night then steaming it back up to temp the next day, whole. I just did 1 that way and it came out awesome.

That's a good idea.  I'll try that the next time around.  I did like the reheated leftovers better.

post #16 of 19

I am smoking my corned beef right now at +250-ish with some hickory chunks. beforehand,  I soaked and rinsed it 3 times in 6 hours to remove the salty content. then coated it with coarse ground black pepper and corriander. 

 

I plan to do the Texas Crutch for an hour when the internal temp hits over 165.  then let it sit in the fridge overnight and steam it in the crockpot with the usual St Paddy's fixin's.

 

Mishima, maybe if you did the TC the meat wouldn't be dry?

post #17 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBeer View Post

I am smoking my corned beef right now at +250-ish with some hickory chunks. beforehand,  I soaked and rinsed it 3 times in 6 hours to remove the salty content. then coated it with coarse ground black pepper and corriander. 

 

I plan to do the Texas Crutch for an hour when the internal temp hits over 165.  then let it sit in the fridge overnight and steam it in the crockpot with the usual St Paddy's fixin's.

 

Mishima, maybe if you did the TC the meat wouldn't be dry?

Perhaps.  I shall see the next time around...  Let me know how it turned out!

post #18 of 19

it turned out pretty good.  not as juicy as I would have liked it.  it brings out good flavors, though.  slice it then and it'll turn out alright.

 

 

does anyone have a preference on the fat cap at the top or the bottom?  I chose the bottom.
 

post #19 of 19
I do top fat for bottom heat to let the melting fat help keep the meat moist.

If you use indirect heat it doesn't matter as much.

JD
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Beef
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › Beef › Slow Cooked Corned Beef VS Smoked Corned Beef