The season burn went.
I ain't saying it went good and I ain't saying it went bad. It just went.
I coaled up with Kingsford Blue. I began with 12# Minot style. I quickly learned that my Maverick ET73 dual probe thermometer has an issue. I was reading up to 90-degrees differential between sides of my cook chamber while a cheap dial oven thermometer read even hotter than the digitals. After swapping sides with the digital probes, they were way off in different directions (even taking into account that one or both were incorrect). I placed both probes within 1/2 inch of one another along with the analog thermometer, The digital probes were up to 65-degrees off from one another. I relied on my analog thermometer to be closest to the truth as I triple checked with an infrared thermometer.
I ran the temps up to 350-degrees easily enough and closed the dampener and saw the temps drop off as expected. I tossed the remainder 4# in on top of the existing coals just to see how everything would react. The dampener controlled the heat quite well. When it was pumping white smoke big time, I saw I had an issue with my cook chamber door not sealing up tight. I didn't see a big loss with the firebox door seal. It looked okay. I got distracted and left the smoker to season without me at 300-325-degrees as indicated by the analog on the firebox side. After about 4 1/2 hours the temps dropped to around 175-degrees.
All in all, I believe my main issue was bad instruments.
I'm gonna pick up a tube of high heat sealant and a couple of analogs and mount them in the door @ main grate level , then run the biscuit test tomorrow morning.
Here's pics of 'Big Smoke' running...
I started with the probes on the upper grate, but I soon moved them to the main grate and began trouble shooting.