or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › The Great Smoked Salt Experiment
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

The Great Smoked Salt Experiment - Page 3

post #41 of 52

Hello all, new guy here. Got a Smoke Hollow 30162E electric smoker for Christmas. Getting exactly what I asked Mrs. Claus for is a rarity, and I'm pretty doggone happy. I'm new to the forum and to smoking, so I wanted to start small and not have to worry about ruining meat on my first attempt both at smoking, and getting familiar with a new piece of equipment. I came across the salt idea from this thread, and figured it would fit the bill. I did the curing procedure per the manufacturer's instructions the other day, and finally have the time to put the smoker to use. I am, at this moment, smoking pink Himalayan sea salt and a mix of black, green, white and pink peppercorns (salt and pepper are not mixed, they are in separate containers). As far as time and temp, I'm doing 6 hours at 225F. I read several posts on many sites about peppercorns, many recommended this temp for them, so the oils don't roast out. Also, I'm using apple chips, I also read several posts that said fruit wood gives better flavor to both salt and pepper than oak, mesquite. etc. I didn't find the time to craft the screens, so I used large stainless steel fine-mesh strainers (without plastic or rubber on the handles) that I found for $4 a piece at the grocery store. Since the salt and pepper aren't lying in one flat layer, I have been stirring every 45 min or so. Also, pretty happy that I'm able to maintain steady heat and great gobs of smoke at our current outdoor temps, 31F with maybe only a 2-4MPH wind, smoker must be very well insulated. Next purchase will be wireless meat thermometers. And meat. Any suggestions on what meat I should try first? Something that is a little forgiving for someone new to smoking? I like any and all meat, so no restrictions there. I picked up some whiskey-barrel oak chips, and am planning on using that for my first meat attempt. Thanks!

post #42 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanVF101 View Post
 

Hello all, new guy here. Got a Smoke Hollow 30162E electric smoker for Christmas. Getting exactly what I asked Mrs. Claus for is a rarity, and I'm pretty doggone happy. I'm new to the forum and to smoking, so I wanted to start small and not have to worry about ruining meat on my first attempt both at smoking, and getting familiar with a new piece of equipment. I came across the salt idea from this thread, and figured it would fit the bill. I did the curing procedure per the manufacturer's instructions the other day, and finally have the time to put the smoker to use. I am, at this moment, smoking pink Himalayan sea salt and a mix of black, green, white and pink peppercorns (salt and pepper are not mixed, they are in separate containers). As far as time and temp, I'm doing 6 hours at 225F. I read several posts on many sites about peppercorns, many recommended this temp for them, so the oils don't roast out. Also, I'm using apple chips, I also read several posts that said fruit wood gives better flavor to both salt and pepper than oak, mesquite. etc. I didn't find the time to craft the screens, so I used large stainless steel fine-mesh strainers (without plastic or rubber on the handles) that I found for $4 a piece at the grocery store. Since the salt and pepper aren't lying in one flat layer, I have been stirring every 45 min or so. Also, pretty happy that I'm able to maintain steady heat and great gobs of smoke at our current outdoor temps, 31F with maybe only a 2-4MPH wind, smoker must be very well insulated. Next purchase will be wireless meat thermometers. And meat. Any suggestions on what meat I should try first? Something that is a little forgiving for someone new to smoking? I like any and all meat, so no restrictions there. I picked up some whiskey-barrel oak chips, and am planning on using that for my first meat attempt. Thanks!

 

 

Nicely done on the Salt! how did it turn out? I haven't done pepper, but in my experience Salt needs longer than that to get a strong flavor, ive done about a dozen batches so far (because various family and friends keep asking for it) and have done mostly with a mix of Hickory and Mesquite and that turns out a nice flavor. I was contemplating trying apple for my next batch, so I think ill try that to see how I like it!

post #43 of 52

I tried hot smoking some pink salt over the weekend for 12 hours.  Not much color change in the salt.  My question is should there be some moisture?  I have seen a post where they say you need to spray the salt lightly ever few hours for the smoke to "stick." should I do this or add a small moisture plate.  Anything thoughts or ideas?

post #44 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennyman100 View Post
 

I tried hot smoking some pink salt over the weekend for 12 hours.  Not much color change in the salt.  My question is should there be some moisture?  I have seen a post where they say you need to spray the salt lightly ever few hours for the smoke to "stick." should I do this or add a small moisture plate.  Anything thoughts or ideas?

 

If you add water directly to the salt you could effectively dissolve the salt. Have you tried a cold or warm smoke chamber instead, around 100-120*? In the absence of moderately high humidity, cold items will attract more smoke than hot items.

 

 

Eric

post #45 of 52

The last salt I smoked was Cold smoked using my AMNPS I smoked it fir about 6 - 7 hours  Not a whole lot of color change (Some)  but you could really taste and smell it. I keep it in an air tight jar and every time I open it you really get a good smoke smell

 

Gary

post #46 of 52
Thanks for all the info. I am going to smoke some salt for the first time tomorrow and I knew I find some good info here. Always do.

I had planned to cold smoke, but now I think I'll put some heat to it. I'm also planning some ribs for dinner tomorrow, so I think I'll just do them together and see what I get. 225-230 for around 6 hours sounds like I'll get a good flavor to the salt.
post #47 of 52
The biggest issue you might have by doing them together is if you have an issue with humidity inside the smoke box. Your salt might "cake" so stir very often and you may have to dry the salt. I have been putting my salts in with all types of smokes for years with very little issues, usually it is the fine grind salt that gives me the most trouble if any. Just my opinion. good luck with this

Keep on smoking,

Tom
post #48 of 52
Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye out for moisture
post #49 of 52

At the risk of dredging up an old thread.....

 

This thing about the difference between heat and no heat in the same time frame has got my curiosity up. Why would the presence of heat intensify the smokiness of the salt?

post #50 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbilly Jim View Post
 

At the risk of dredging up an old thread.....

 

This thing about the difference between heat and no heat in the same time frame has got my curiosity up. Why would the presence of heat intensify the smokiness of the salt?

 

Technically speaking, cold smoking should allow more smoke to condense on the product than warm or hot smoking. I say should, because you also have to account for the fact that cold air carries less moisture than warm or hot air does. In recent years I've learned that there is a lot more to smoking than just temps. Higher humidity allows smoke to stick more readily, therefore, in the absence of high humidity you will need more time to acquire the same amount of smoke on the product. What is more difficult to explain (and actually control) is the type of smoke you produce, and, the type of smoke that condenses on the product. The best tasting smoke doesn't have creosote (any of us with experience know this), so you don't want it entering the smoke chamber, let alone being produced inside the smoke chamber. This is where a remote smoke generator to produce smoke along with piping to transmit the smoke can really change your game. It allows the heavier smoke particles to condense in the piping before entering the smoke chamber. Basically, it's using the very same method for smoking as was/is used by artisan smokers for hundreds of years. Those ancient smokehouses you see in photos, or even on old homesteads throughout the US and other countries...they knew it worked, so they did it...and they didn't change the use these smokehouses with remote smoke generators because it worked.

 

Much of the current generation of smokers seem to have lost some of this knowledge with all the mass-produced portable smokers in use these days. These units are easy to use, with the compromise in finished product. This transition is partly due to the use of smoke being mainly for BBQ meats, where hot-smoking of meats has taken over the majority of the smoking community. But if we consider how the smokehouse works for everything other than hot-smoking, it makes a world of sense. If we consider the smokehouse approach with a in-chamber heat source for hot smoking...well, it leads you right back to the same basic principle of getting rid of the nasty smoke before it enters the smoke chamber.

 

Hope I didn't stir-up mass-confusion.

 

 

Eric

post #51 of 52

Thanks, Eric.

 

Not only did you not stir up confusion, I know more now than I did a minute ago.

 

The aspect of humidity is interesting. Now, I'm beginning to understand some of the mechanics of smoking, such as why a pan of water in the smoker is desirable at times.

 

Thank you for taking the time to write a lengthy explanation for me. That helps a lot.

 

Jim

post #52 of 52

You're most welcome!!! If I didn't confuse you, then, I did something right.  In case you missed this thread, and judging from your response I think you haven't read it yet...this is a very good thread which will explain much of what you seem to be searching for and includes his investigations and trials along the way. I highly recommend it.

 

Understanding Smoke Management

 

 

Eric

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Smoking Meat (and other things) › General Discussion › The Great Smoked Salt Experiment