or Connect
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › Hi from Christchurch New Zealand
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Hi from Christchurch New Zealand

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 

Hi guys I come across the site while looking for new ideas for smoking meat.

I got interested in smoking because I wanted bacon like you used to be able to buy 20-40yrs ago and I had come to the conclusion that I must have been imagining how good it was. I was reading the nutritional infomation on the back of a supermarket packet of bacon and it said " contains at least 83% pork"!!!!! I thought what is the other 17% . Its water that is injected into the meat to according to the m" keep it tender". What a lot of hog wash its there to bulk up the weight. I have been making it myself  ever since and its fantastic. I have however not had the same results with smoked beef.

I use a stainless steel cabnet type hot smoker and am just modifying it to also allow cold smoking. 

post #2 of 12

Welcome my fellow Antipodean.There are some real bacon experts here.I follow bearcarvers general method but I am a wet brine kind of guy. The AMZPS device from Todd is the BIZ  mate get one takes all the stress out of cold smoking. You might want to stick your head into the pork thread & give a bit of advice on hangi cookery there is a guy there looking for some help. I can see your a South Islander not a cuzzibro from Napier or Hawkes Bay or Bay of Plenty but you will still know way more than me despite my wide circle of Kiwi friends.A lot of them cuzzibro's. MICK

post #3 of 12

Welcome!!!

 Once you make your own bacon you will wonder how you ever make that stuff from the stores.

 This has been proven many times over here.

 Enter dried beef in the search bar and check out some of those post.

post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks for your comments. I was born in Rotorua and spent half my life in the Bay of Plenty and know the Napier well also. I look forward to some good solid info here thanks

 

post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 

Thanks :-)

post #6 of 12

Hello and welcome to SMF! Lots of info here for bacon...good luck!

post #7 of 12

welcome1.gif to SMF . You have come to the right place for smoking info. This site is loaded with great info just use the search bar at top of page to find what you are looking for. If you can't locate the answer just ask folks here are willing to share there knowledge. Check out  the 5 day e-course on smoking its chuck full of great info, and may help ya out. Smoking  5-Day e-Course 

post #8 of 12

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Was Good View Post

Thanks for your comments. I was born in Rotorua and spent half my life in the Bay of Plenty and know the Napier well also. I look forward to some good solid info here thanks

 

You will get all that here ,there are some very clever people doing specialized stuff,sausage ,bacon you name it happy to share.I like the fact that there are technical people here building their own smokers as well.

If you are from the North Island originally you will have been to a lot more hangi's than me. We get all that great seafood into our market on fridays,blue cod,tua tua,hapuka,stargazer etc.

 

post #9 of 12
welcome1.gif
post #10 of 12

welcome1.gif Nice to have you mate.

post #11 of 12
Hello and Welcome to SMF 
post #12 of 12

Welcome to SMF...Lots of great people with hundreds of post about just about everything you can smoke....welcome1.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Roll Call
SmokingMeatForums.com › Forums › Announcements › Roll Call › Hi from Christchurch New Zealand