Well, I was not sure where to post this as it could go under "PORK", "CHICKEN", and "SIDE DISHES", but it's our main course for tonight.
Brunswick stew made with 2 1/2 pounds of smoked pulled pork and the meat from 2 whole chickens. Ended up with so much it would not all fit in the crock pot so I had to move some to a pot on the stove. First time I've used this particular recipe so I guess I need to 1/2 it for the crock pot next time. Since we are expecting the gathering of my daughter's friends tonight it will all be consumed so the overflow batch will be needed. Just sampled the broth and it is wonderful!
Going to make up a batch of good 'ole cornbread and biscuits too!
Hmmmmm........ comfort food for southerner's and Q lovers
Here is the recipe I used for this batch....
- 2 whole chickens - smoked & shredded
- 3 lb boston butt – shredded (2 1/2 pounds after smoking)
- 3 - 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 - 16 oz package frozen whole kernel yellow corn, thawed
- 2 - 16 oz packages frozen butterbeans, thawed (I used baby lima's for this batch)
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 1 - 32 oz container chicken broth
- 1 - 24 oz bottle ketchup
- 1/2 cup white vineagar or 1/3 cup apple cider vineagar
- 1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (more to taste)
- Optional – ½ cup barbeque sauce (I used sweet baby ray's)
Throw it in the crockpot for 4-5 hours.....