Another recipe I had in my head for the longest time.
Decided to do these on the GOSM with Pork Shots, Chickeroni Bites and Jack Daniels Bacon Double Cheeseburger Sliders.
I'll see if I can get those posted today as well.
Will be a little busy tomorrow with doing PP for the Cub Scouts Christmas Party, yeah I took the day off to cook!
Bacon Wrapped Sausage stuffed with tomato paste and topped with Mozzarella cheese.
- Sweet / Hot Sausage Links
- 1 small can Tomato Paste
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Basil
- 1 teaspoon Rosemary (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese
- Mozzarella Cheese
Preparation: (step by step below0
- Mix Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, Granulated Garlic and Parmesan Cheese.
- In a bowl mix the above ingredients with the tomato paste add a third at a time, mix well then add another 3rd.
- Cut sausage 1” thick
- Wrap in half piece of thick sliced bacon,
- Fill with tomato paste mixture
Grilling: Place on the grill using indirect heat. Grill 30 minutes
Smoker: Smoke at 225° - 240° for 2 hours
I had a couple that I popped in my mouth, (you sort of need to eat the whole thing to get all the flavors at once), and the experience was ruined by the casing, it was like chewing rubber bands, the flavor was there but the casing really ruined some of the appetizers.
Make sure to remove the casing after slicing, or use chub sausage and roll small balls
I still consider the recipe a major success.
I loved these, a few of my dinner guests were not wowed by them but others really liked them.
Casings need to be removed.
- I used a hot a sweet combo pack, some folks don't like the heat so I used red toothpicks to mark the hot appetizers.
- Mix all the dry ingredients
- Place the tomato paste in a bowl.
- Add a third of the dry mix to the paste.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the paste real well.
- Continue adding the dry ingredients and working into the paste.
- Cut the sausage and bacon. (REMOVE THE CASINGS AFTER SLICING)
- Wrap the sausage with bacon, Since I used Hot and sweet sausage, I marked the hot sausage using red toothpicks.
- Appetizers ready for the smoker, from left to right, Chickeroni bites / Italian Sausage bites and Pork Shots.
- Smoke at 225° for 2 hours using Hickory chunks (GOSM).
- Top sausage with some cubed mozzarella cheese and smoke another twenty or so minutes, just enough to melt the cheese.
- When the cheese has melted, remove from the smoker, plate and serve.
- Since this is a first time recipe I always do a Taste test before serving my guests.