Nothing says American like a good BBQ, and what better time than July 4th weekend. On Saturday, July 2nd 2011, I will be smoking for the first time (actually second, I smoked for 5 hours to season the smoker). I've decided to go with a Pork Butt from Costco (yet to be purchased). While smoking, I'll continually update this post with hows its going.
Saturday's Weather Forecast (Maryland):
Mostly sunny with clouds at times. Highs in the low 90s and lows in the low 70s.
The game plan:
- Find time to get to Costco to pick up a 5-8 pound Pork Butt
- Also pick up all the ingredients to make Jeff's dry rub and BBQ Sauce
- Friday after work: give the butt a good rub down with mustard and Dry rub, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate
- Saturday morning: Get the ECB started, soak Apple wood chips, bring meat to room temp
- Throw meat on the smoker at around 0800 hours.
- Update this thread with QViews, temperature readings, and random thoughts throughout the process/day.
- Spraying meat with apple juice every hour once the internal temperature (IT) reaches 100 degrees
- Pull the meat off of the smoker at an IT of 165 degrees
- Double wrap in tin foil with apple juice
- place back on the smoker until a IT of 195-205 degrees is reached
- Remove from smoker and re-wrap in foil, let sit for an hour
- Grub out
Did I miss anything? I'm pumped!!! Lets hope all goes as planned.
Its grill day!!
|Cooking Time (hrs:min)||Smoker Temp (degrees)||Internal Temp (degrees||
|8:00 am||0:00||225||50||Lets go!|
|9:15||1:15||210-145||86||Adding more soaked Chips|
|11:22||3:22||210||147||alittle worried that its already at 147 degrees but the smoker temp is holding constant at 210|
|12:50||4:50||225||165||Pulled off, wraped in foil, and returned|
|2:07||6:07||200||194||enjoying my beers|
|2:57||6:57||200||205||DONE! Wrapped in a towel and placed in a cooler|
6.38 pounds - Before Rub:
Rubbed, sat for 17 hours, ready for the smoker:
3.5 hours in:
First look at 4.5 hours in:
After sitting in the cooler for an hour:
decent smoke ring:
Edited by JimF - 7/2/11 at 3:23pm