Diamond pattern

Discussion in 'Messages for All Guests and Members' started by patriots, Feb 3, 2010.

  1. patriots

    patriots Smoke Blower

    The steel that alot of use to make the cooking surface in your smokers looks like a diamond pattern. For the love of god were do you get it. They dont sell that at the big box stores up this way. What is the name of it and any ideas would be great. Thanks
  2. gene111

    gene111 Smoking Fanatic

    it's steel mesh usually you can find it at local factorys or machine shop if you know anybody that works at one.
  3. dirt guy

    dirt guy Smoking Fanatic

    It is called "expanded metal". You will want to purchase the "smooth or flat rolled" for cooking surfaces. It can be had in carbon steel or stainless. The stainless will cost a lot more.
  4. meat hunter

    meat hunter Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

    Check your local welding/fabrication shops, steel suppliers or, if you have a salvage yard, check there. I found my 3'x8' sheet of stainless there for under 10 bucks. [​IMG]
  5. jdt

    jdt Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

  6. mulepackin

    mulepackin Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

    I use the #9, but I prefer the raised style to the flat. I find it to be structurally stronger. I can span a greater distance with it, than I can flat, without having to reinforce the shelf.
  7. patriots

    patriots Smoke Blower

    how did i know i would get the answer i needed. only the best people are on this site.

Share This Page