Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 12
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Grouse (12/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/14/13 at 5:14pm by Grouse 7 728started by yercall (12/12/13 at 5:23am)12/13/13 at 5:35am by yercall 8 264started by xzebra (11/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/12/13 at 7:26am by Trikefreak 7 816started by Knothead69 (11/21/13 at 6:40pm)12/10/13 at 2:44pm by Foamheart 12 484started by mlol (12/6/13 at 4:16am)12/10/13 at 12:02pm by Big Lew BBQ 5 495started by flyweed (12/3/13 at 12:01pm)12/10/13 at 11:11am by flyweed 9 5,655started by BabySmokologist (12/7/13 at 10:26pm)12/10/13 at 11:02am by BabySmokologist 4 508started by Grouse (12/10/13 at 5:04am)12/10/13 at 5:04am by Grouse 0 132started by lilpete (10/11/13 at 8:26am)12/9/13 at 9:37am by Palladini 6 389started by grimreeper (11/18/13 at 3:50pm)12/9/13 at 9:09am by Big Lew BBQ 9 294started by bison (12/8/13 at 4:56pm)12/8/13 at 5:09pm by WestCoast 1 524started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 7:23am)12/8/13 at 8:54am by dirtworldmike 1 330started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 968started by HanksMeat (11/17/13 at 10:09am)12/4/13 at 10:41pm by Palladini 2 1,208started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 8:33am)12/4/13 at 10:20pm by Palladini 2 446started by Bubba96 (12/2/13 at 2:46pm)12/3/13 at 7:37am by okeedokeesmokee 2 192started by okeedokeesmokee (12/1/13 at 6:10am)12/1/13 at 7:17am by dougmays 3 338started by chady (11/24/13 at 6:43pm)11/25/13 at 1:25pm by dirtsailor2003 4 566started by jimalbert (11/21/13 at 5:07pm)11/23/13 at 6:22pm by Mitchk 5 6,733started by GONE4NC (11/17/13 at 12:28pm)11/20/13 at 2:51pm by So MS Smoker 6 601started by Pureflusher (11/16/13 at 7:36pm)11/16/13 at 8:06pm by So MS Smoker 1 419started by echodreamz (11/12/13 at 1:59pm)11/14/13 at 3:23pm by echodreamz 10 77711/12/13 at 3:18pm by Foamheart 31 2,382started by Chef JimmyJ (1/6/13 at 10:40pm)11/10/13 at 6:12pm by Hoity Toit 7 731started by SmokinMad (9/27/13 at 6:40pm)11/9/13 at 7:10pm by ERNurse28 12 93711/9/13 at 2:25pm by forluvofsmoke 23 6,83011/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,010started by Inno (5/18/13 at 10:56am)11/8/13 at 4:37pm by corchaz 11 2,028started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 6:46am)11/3/13 at 7:25am by RealBigSwede 2 328started by tangfj (10/16/13 at 11:41am)11/3/13 at 6:43am by RealBigSwede 10 1,995started by dstickel (11/1/13 at 7:58am)11/1/13 at 12:18pm by Bama BBQ 3 494started by Northcoast (10/28/13 at 10:33pm)10/31/13 at 6:22pm by Northcoast 4 1,325started by labrador103 (10/15/13 at 2:18pm)10/28/13 at 8:36pm by Wildcatter 9 1,368started by TwotrackerBryan (10/26/13 at 10:24am)10/27/13 at 2:59pm by TwotrackerBryan 4 521started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 993started by concordeer (10/24/13 at 11:00am)10/24/13 at 11:50am by SmokinHusker 2 676started by cmayna (10/24/13 at 7:18am)10/24/13 at 9:30am by DaveOmak 6 249started by Palladini (10/19/13 at 1:46pm)10/19/13 at 8:37pm by Palladini 2 240started by smokiehokie (10/19/13 at 7:45am)10/19/13 at 2:52pm by smokiehokie 2 331started by shelterit (10/8/13 at 1:12pm)10/13/13 at 4:25am by fuzzyfishin 5 395started by Foamheart (9/28/13 at 8:04pm)10/7/13 at 9:15am by Disco 10 754started by baddagger (7/25/13 at 3:04pm)10/5/13 at 5:04pm by Palladini 4 703started by Bluto (7/12/13 at 2:30pm)10/5/13 at 8:18am by Bluto 19 1,085started by heathdyer (9/29/13 at 6:58pm)10/3/13 at 3:18pm by heathdyer 9 553started by charcoal junkie (8/11/13 at 9:37am)10/1/13 at 6:26pm by Palladini 6 743started by The Zil (8/2/13 at 11:33am)9/24/13 at 7:08am by AlabamaAvenue 13 752started by xzebra (9/19/13 at 5:29pm)9/20/13 at 5:46pm by Foamheart 10 833started by BohemianSausage (9/14/13 at 12:24pm)9/19/13 at 5:30pm by Bama BBQ 1 614started by ebonydad (4/25/13 at 6:37pm)9/19/13 at 6:44am by Stzilper 7 2,422started by snowfool (9/10/13 at 1:41pm)9/10/13 at 5:07pm by Pineywoods 1 362
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Bacon wrapped venison backstrap 5 minutes ago
- › Cold smoked salmon during the chilly weather 6 minutes ago
- › New smoker - looking for advice. 7 minutes ago
- › Bone in Butt end over end spinning 14 minutes ago
- › Sausage Break 22 minutes ago
- › 10lbs of Pepperoni Sticks 24 minutes ago
- › Summer sausage seasoning 26 minutes ago
- › New Stant99 27 minutes ago
- › Nooob 27 minutes ago
- › BBQ, low carb and loving it 28 minutes ago
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine