Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 12
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by JL508 (1/4/14 at 8:21am)1/5/14 at 7:18am by SB59 3 2161/3/14 at 5:47pm by Mickey Jay 44 2,353started by billman (4/23/09 at 4:50am)1/3/14 at 2:37am by jaxsa 8 12,545started by BabySmokologist (12/31/13 at 10:43am)1/1/14 at 5:36am by BabySmokologist 5 280started by Big Lew BBQ (12/15/13 at 2:43pm)12/31/13 at 3:36pm by blacktuskjerky 9 819started by TucsonBill (12/30/13 at 8:57am)12/30/13 at 2:54pm by Cprmom 1 146started by SB59 (12/27/13 at 11:42am)12/29/13 at 12:30pm by SB59 7 656started by dog1234 (12/28/13 at 12:25pm)12/28/13 at 2:43pm by DaveOmak 3 215started by HarperLC (12/9/13 at 2:07pm)12/27/13 at 12:46pm by DaveOmak 4 663started by Boodro (12/19/13 at 9:00am)12/20/13 at 3:28pm by Boodro 12 274started by snickers104 (12/18/13 at 7:37am)12/18/13 at 11:18am by junkcollector 1 349started by Big Lew BBQ (12/9/13 at 8:36am)12/17/13 at 12:28pm by Humdinger 3 697started by ERNurse28 (7/14/13 at 9:55pm)12/15/13 at 2:26pm by ERNurse28 9 16,547started by Stank56 (12/7/13 at 9:54am)12/14/13 at 8:17pm by Stank56 3 384started by Grouse (12/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/14/13 at 5:14pm by Grouse 7 731started by yercall (12/12/13 at 5:23am)12/13/13 at 5:35am by yercall 8 264started by xzebra (11/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/12/13 at 7:26am by Trikefreak 7 824started by Knothead69 (11/21/13 at 6:40pm)12/10/13 at 2:44pm by Foamheart 12 484started by mlol (12/6/13 at 4:16am)12/10/13 at 12:02pm by Big Lew BBQ 5 499started by flyweed (12/3/13 at 12:01pm)12/10/13 at 11:11am by flyweed 9 5,759started by BabySmokologist (12/7/13 at 10:26pm)12/10/13 at 11:02am by BabySmokologist 4 512started by Grouse (12/10/13 at 5:04am)12/10/13 at 5:04am by Grouse 0 132started by lilpete (10/11/13 at 8:26am)12/9/13 at 9:37am by Palladini 6 389started by grimreeper (11/18/13 at 3:50pm)12/9/13 at 9:09am by Big Lew BBQ 9 296started by bison (12/8/13 at 4:56pm)12/8/13 at 5:09pm by WestCoast 1 526started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 7:23am)12/8/13 at 8:54am by dirtworldmike 1 334started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 972started by HanksMeat (11/17/13 at 10:09am)12/4/13 at 10:41pm by Palladini 2 1,217started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 8:33am)12/4/13 at 10:20pm by Palladini 2 446started by Bubba96 (12/2/13 at 2:46pm)12/3/13 at 7:37am by okeedokeesmokee 2 196started by okeedokeesmokee (12/1/13 at 6:10am)12/1/13 at 7:17am by dougmays 3 343started by chady (11/24/13 at 6:43pm)11/25/13 at 1:25pm by dirtsailor2003 4 568started by jimalbert (11/21/13 at 5:07pm)11/23/13 at 6:22pm by Mitchk 5 6,870started by GONE4NC (11/17/13 at 12:28pm)11/20/13 at 2:51pm by So MS Smoker 6 602started by Pureflusher (11/16/13 at 7:36pm)11/16/13 at 8:06pm by So MS Smoker 1 419started by echodreamz (11/12/13 at 1:59pm)11/14/13 at 3:23pm by echodreamz 10 78311/12/13 at 3:18pm by Foamheart 31 2,393started by Chef JimmyJ (1/6/13 at 10:40pm)11/10/13 at 6:12pm by Hoity Toit 7 733started by SmokinMad (9/27/13 at 6:40pm)11/9/13 at 7:10pm by ERNurse28 12 95711/9/13 at 2:25pm by forluvofsmoke 23 6,88811/8/13 at 4:38pm by SmokinMad 23 1,019started by Inno (5/18/13 at 10:56am)11/8/13 at 4:37pm by corchaz 11 2,050started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 6:46am)11/3/13 at 7:25am by RealBigSwede 2 328started by tangfj (10/16/13 at 11:41am)11/3/13 at 6:43am by RealBigSwede 10 2,040started by dstickel (11/1/13 at 7:58am)11/1/13 at 12:18pm by Bama BBQ 3 497started by Northcoast (10/28/13 at 10:33pm)10/31/13 at 6:22pm by Northcoast 4 1,336started by labrador103 (10/15/13 at 2:18pm)10/28/13 at 8:36pm by Wildcatter 9 1,395started by TwotrackerBryan (10/26/13 at 10:24am)10/27/13 at 2:59pm by TwotrackerBryan 4 524started by bjustice22 (10/21/13 at 3:03pm)10/27/13 at 2:44pm by bjustice22 5 1,007started by concordeer (10/24/13 at 11:00am)10/24/13 at 11:50am by SmokinHusker 2 679
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Smoking at low temp on WSM 1 minute ago
- › Scored this today for 80 bucks!!! 10 minutes ago
- › First brisket help 13 minutes ago
- › Anybody ever smoke a whole bone in ribeye as prime rib? 23 minutes ago
- › New smoker from Taunton 24 minutes ago
- › Roll Call 29 minutes ago
- › Rib Steaks in The Snow 32 minutes ago
- › Slow Cooked Wings 35 minutes ago
- › Juicy Chuck Roast...after Microwaving 37 minutes ago
- › Fillet Mignon Sammies 38 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub