Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 12
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Kernel (7/8/14 at 12:19pm)7/11/14 at 12:53pm by SmokinHessil 6 1,267started by Foog (7/7/14 at 5:31am)7/8/14 at 12:03pm by java 3 450started by BIG ARCHERY NUT (6/29/14 at 2:01pm)6/29/14 at 2:26pm by Chef Willie 1 598started by ayofarm (6/21/14 at 11:35am)6/22/14 at 12:03pm by forluvofsmoke 1 1,136started by fpmich (6/13/14 at 2:55am)6/19/14 at 1:24am by fpmich 10 2,741started by medicman4877 (6/12/14 at 6:18am)6/18/14 at 10:08pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 6,397started by dougmays (1/15/13 at 11:00am)6/17/14 at 10:33am by Foog 10 3,836started by fpmich (6/11/14 at 3:15am)6/13/14 at 2:27am by fpmich 5 1,412started by Bill Ace 350 (6/12/14 at 8:27am)6/12/14 at 8:47am by Bill Ace 350 2 413started by Rod G15 (6/9/14 at 5:27am)6/9/14 at 3:49pm by Rod G15 2 277started by AtlantaYinzer (6/6/14 at 8:45am)6/9/14 at 8:08am by AtlantaYinzer 2 474started by crazyboy (6/8/14 at 8:32am)6/9/14 at 8:03am by DaveOmak 1 271started by horseflesh (6/7/14 at 11:38am)6/7/14 at 12:49pm by Chef JimmyJ 2 458started by h22lude (6/5/14 at 6:39pm)6/6/14 at 8:11am by smokerjoe 8 576started by sabomnim (1/31/14 at 7:06pm)6/3/14 at 6:09pm by shtrdave 5 24,020started by RealBigSwede (11/3/13 at 12:42pm)6/3/14 at 5:07pm by wbakema 8 881started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 6:26am)5/30/14 at 8:51pm by JaxRmrJmr 12 10,670started by JP61 (5/29/14 at 8:06pm)5/30/14 at 1:21pm by JP61 8 428started by GotMeat (5/28/14 at 5:55am)5/30/14 at 10:33am by SQWIB 10 2,597started by bros (5/20/14 at 1:09pm)5/21/14 at 7:53pm by forluvofsmoke 1 612started by lozzfish (5/17/14 at 1:53am)5/19/14 at 11:15am by lozzfish 5 224started by buckinducks (5/13/14 at 3:52pm)5/14/14 at 8:21pm by buckinducks 7 425started by Earthquake5683 (5/4/14 at 4:44pm)5/14/14 at 12:21am by Earthquake5683 2 323started by philfog (5/6/14 at 12:47pm)5/9/14 at 2:54pm by Phrett 3 642started by smitty387 (5/6/14 at 7:50am)5/6/14 at 9:05am by bkleinsmid 1 238started by johnnyb99 (5/1/14 at 3:10pm)5/5/14 at 9:57am by johnnyb99 2 335started by basvdelsen (4/21/14 at 5:53am)4/25/14 at 7:52am by DaveOmak 2 23,571Newb question - I want to confirm that cured vacuum packed Jerky can be stored without refrigerationstarted by gatorengineer64 (3/22/14 at 9:30am)4/11/14 at 8:06am by Chef Willie 13 1,098started by bendog15 (4/5/14 at 1:08am)4/8/14 at 4:48pm by TJKoko 2 383started by bhill (4/6/14 at 10:44am)4/6/14 at 10:44am by bhill 0 1,727started by gatorengineer64 (4/5/14 at 12:17pm)4/5/14 at 1:03pm by dirtsailor2003 1 218started by Stayhot (3/31/14 at 10:03am)4/5/14 at 5:44am by beerwagon 4 331started by kerstingm (3/28/14 at 1:17pm)4/3/14 at 10:32am by Woodcutter 1 148started by Rod G15 (3/20/14 at 9:32pm)4/3/14 at 7:32am by HiTechRedNeck 1 308started by Stayhot (3/27/14 at 4:33am)3/27/14 at 9:35am by Chef Willie 4 327started by Stayhot (3/25/14 at 10:52am)3/25/14 at 12:19pm by Brooksy 4 166started by kesmc27 (3/8/14 at 6:52am)3/20/14 at 4:26pm by kesmc27 11 1,021started by chestnutbloom (3/10/14 at 8:27pm)3/20/14 at 3:13pm by chestnutbloom 9 2,733started by jsk53 (3/17/14 at 10:25am)3/18/14 at 2:48pm by jsk53 6 1,019started by Nugnut (3/12/14 at 11:56pm)3/15/14 at 6:57am by mudslinger2 6 177started by A BASHAM (3/2/14 at 9:58pm)3/11/14 at 11:02am by bigwheel 8 335started by SmokingOhioButcher (3/2/14 at 8:50pm)3/7/14 at 6:40am by EdDisabledVet 8 2,302started by bigwheel (3/1/14 at 7:30pm)3/1/14 at 7:30pm by bigwheel 0 326started by spicyjerky (2/27/14 at 11:17pm)3/1/14 at 6:57pm by bigwheel 2 4472/27/14 at 11:39pm by bigwheel 27 11,859started by bendog15 (2/15/14 at 12:57am)2/27/14 at 11:26pm by bigwheel 7 661started by Hagisan (2/22/14 at 9:20am)2/25/14 at 10:37am by bigwheel 4 5,491started by cmayna (2/18/14 at 7:36am)2/21/14 at 4:59pm by Woodcutter 14 1,0202/16/14 at 3:00pm by DaveOmak 21 63,482started by BackyardSmokin (2/12/14 at 9:47am)2/13/14 at 4:54am by SB59 1 248
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › St, Louis Style Ribs 52 seconds ago
- › 1939 Frigidaire Build.....Wife is pissed! 2 minutes ago
- › Chicken Thighs 18 minutes ago
- › OK so any scientific reason why one should not use water or any... 19 minutes ago
- › Camp smoke 27 minutes ago
- › 3-2-1 ribs in my MES 29 minutes ago
- › Smoked Chicken Noodle and Veggie Soup with QView!!! 38 minutes ago
- › Going Flat Out 49 minutes ago
- › UMAI Pepperoni Pizza in the CI 55 minutes ago
- › Been here since 2009 but never posted, until now. 57 minutes ago
- › Char-Griller Duo Gas/Charcoal Grill by KevinJD
- › Masterbuilt 30" Black 20070511 by GaryW121
- › Brinkmann Cimarron Limited Deluxe Outdoor Charcoal/Wood Smoker... by ammaturesmoker
- › Santa Maria Attachment for Weber Kettles by ammaturesmoker
- › PRIMO OVAL JUNIOR GRILL/SMOKER by GrillingFool
- › REC TEC Wood Pellet Grill - Featuring Smart Grill TechnologyTM by biz302
- › Brinkmann Smoke N Pit Pitmaster Deluxe Charcoal/Wood Smoker and Grill by Skinnyj
- › OKLAHOMA JOE'S LONGHORN SMOKER by alteredstates
- › Camp Chef SMV24S 24" Smoke Vault - SMV24S by jond36
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Utah Smoker
- › Ground Beef vs. Ground Turkey - Which Is...
- › Apple Bourbon BBQ Beans
- › Mississippi Haymaker
- › NICE HUGE SMOKER FOR SALE IN TAHLEQUAH ,OK ...
- › Why in Thailand has many coconut shell.
- › Top 2 Traeger Grill in 2017
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods