Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 12
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by bendog15 (2/3/14 at 11:26pm)2/4/14 at 12:30am by stanjk 1 3,554started by jerky nut (1/25/14 at 3:45pm)2/1/14 at 2:38pm by jerky nut 16 649started by Canadianbacon (1/28/14 at 1:03pm)1/29/14 at 2:46pm by jerky nut 1 395started by Slots (1/27/14 at 11:06am)1/28/14 at 4:36am by Bearcarver 8 634started by sabomnim (1/26/14 at 9:49am)1/26/14 at 2:22pm by DiggingDogFarm 17 2,0731/24/14 at 10:16pm by Mr Cue 60 2,214started by Mr Cue (1/21/14 at 9:42pm)1/24/14 at 10:14pm by Mr Cue 2 1,432started by logical1 (1/22/14 at 9:14pm)1/22/14 at 9:27pm by MossyMO 1 392started by drifterdon (1/19/14 at 8:52pm)1/20/14 at 4:24pm by Falco78 4 187started by Phinicky (1/18/14 at 1:39pm)1/20/14 at 4:01pm by jerky nut 6 1,400started by wicked1 (1/20/14 at 8:24am)1/20/14 at 8:40am by SB59 1 330started by Canadianbacon (1/19/14 at 4:13pm)1/19/14 at 5:37pm by dirtsailor2003 1 338started by johnnyb99 (1/19/14 at 9:29am)1/19/14 at 1:45pm by johnnyb99 4 392started by mlol (1/18/14 at 2:17am)1/18/14 at 5:55am by SB59 1 172started by link (1/11/14 at 6:34am)1/16/14 at 5:06am by link 10 240started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 958started by mlol (1/13/14 at 7:35am)1/14/14 at 6:01pm by jerky nut 3 2,895started by SmokingOhioButcher (1/12/14 at 7:06pm)1/13/14 at 6:09am by SQWIB 3 250started by dog1234 (1/5/14 at 12:12pm)1/9/14 at 9:20pm by RugerLab 8 3,212started by pearlheartgtr (9/17/12 at 2:06pm)1/9/14 at 7:23am by ERNurse28 6 2,447started by Grudge (1/1/14 at 7:07pm)1/8/14 at 4:46pm by Philsey Da Bear 4 3,126started by Papa Chops (1/5/14 at 1:41am)1/5/14 at 5:36pm by Papa Chops 3 253started by JL508 (1/4/14 at 8:21am)1/5/14 at 7:18am by SB59 3 2161/3/14 at 5:47pm by Mickey Jay 44 2,397started by billman (4/23/09 at 4:50am)1/3/14 at 2:37am by jaxsa 8 12,911started by BabySmokologist (12/31/13 at 10:43am)1/1/14 at 5:36am by BabySmokologist 5 280started by Big Lew BBQ (12/15/13 at 2:43pm)12/31/13 at 3:36pm by blacktuskjerky 9 842started by TucsonBill (12/30/13 at 8:57am)12/30/13 at 2:54pm by Cprmom 1 146started by SB59 (12/27/13 at 11:42am)12/29/13 at 12:30pm by SB59 7 665started by dog1234 (12/28/13 at 12:25pm)12/28/13 at 2:43pm by DaveOmak 3 215started by HarperLC (12/9/13 at 2:07pm)12/27/13 at 12:46pm by DaveOmak 4 667started by Boodro (12/19/13 at 9:00am)12/20/13 at 3:28pm by Boodro 12 277started by snickers104 (12/18/13 at 7:37am)12/18/13 at 11:18am by junkcollector 1 352started by Big Lew BBQ (12/9/13 at 8:36am)12/17/13 at 12:28pm by Humdinger 3 701started by ERNurse28 (7/14/13 at 9:55pm)12/15/13 at 2:26pm by ERNurse28 9 16,975started by Stank56 (12/7/13 at 9:54am)12/14/13 at 8:17pm by Stank56 3 385started by Grouse (12/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/14/13 at 5:14pm by Grouse 7 735started by yercall (12/12/13 at 5:23am)12/13/13 at 5:35am by yercall 8 264started by xzebra (11/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/12/13 at 7:26am by Trikefreak 7 830started by Knothead69 (11/21/13 at 6:40pm)12/10/13 at 2:44pm by Foamheart 12 484started by mlol (12/6/13 at 4:16am)12/10/13 at 12:02pm by Big Lew BBQ 5 499started by flyweed (12/3/13 at 12:01pm)12/10/13 at 11:11am by flyweed 9 5,997started by BabySmokologist (12/7/13 at 10:26pm)12/10/13 at 11:02am by BabySmokologist 4 518started by Grouse (12/10/13 at 5:04am)12/10/13 at 5:04am by Grouse 0 132started by lilpete (10/11/13 at 8:26am)12/9/13 at 9:37am by Palladini 6 391started by grimreeper (11/18/13 at 3:50pm)12/9/13 at 9:09am by Big Lew BBQ 9 297started by bison (12/8/13 at 4:56pm)12/8/13 at 5:09pm by WestCoast 1 526started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 7:23am)12/8/13 at 8:54am by dirtworldmike 1 335started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 978started by HanksMeat (11/17/13 at 10:09am)12/4/13 at 10:41pm by Palladini 2 1,220
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › First brisket ever smoked!! 5 minutes ago
- › Memorial Day Smoke! 13 minutes ago
- › Acorn and Chicken 15 minutes ago
- › Brisket & (my 1st attempt @) Burnt Ends. 16 minutes ago
- › Tri-Fecta Chicken (Dirt Saylor Inspired) with tasty dizzy pineapple! 28 minutes ago
- › Opinions on best buy pellet smokers 36 minutes ago
- › How fast can I cook a 10lb brisket? 42 minutes ago
- › ThermoPro TP20 or Maverick 733? 51 minutes ago
- › Another Ribs thread! 53 minutes ago
- › So what's everyone smoking this weekend? 56 minutes ago
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer