Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 12
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by drifterdon (1/19/14 at 8:52pm)1/20/14 at 4:24pm by Falco78 4 185started by Phinicky (1/18/14 at 1:39pm)1/20/14 at 4:01pm by jerky nut 6 1,341started by wicked1 (1/20/14 at 8:24am)1/20/14 at 8:40am by SB59 1 328started by Canadianbacon (1/19/14 at 4:13pm)1/19/14 at 5:37pm by dirtsailor2003 1 338started by johnnyb99 (1/19/14 at 9:29am)1/19/14 at 1:45pm by johnnyb99 4 389started by mlol (1/18/14 at 2:17am)1/18/14 at 5:55am by SB59 1 171started by link (1/11/14 at 6:34am)1/16/14 at 5:06am by link 10 240started by jerky nut (1/2/14 at 3:08pm)1/15/14 at 6:36am by Falco78 11 947started by mlol (1/13/14 at 7:35am)1/14/14 at 6:01pm by jerky nut 3 2,851started by SmokingOhioButcher (1/12/14 at 7:06pm)1/13/14 at 6:09am by SQWIB 3 249started by dog1234 (1/5/14 at 12:12pm)1/9/14 at 9:20pm by RugerLab 8 3,157started by pearlheartgtr (9/17/12 at 2:06pm)1/9/14 at 7:23am by ERNurse28 6 2,421started by Grudge (1/1/14 at 7:07pm)1/8/14 at 4:46pm by Philsey Da Bear 4 3,047started by Papa Chops (1/5/14 at 1:41am)1/5/14 at 5:36pm by Papa Chops 3 253started by JL508 (1/4/14 at 8:21am)1/5/14 at 7:18am by SB59 3 2161/3/14 at 5:47pm by Mickey Jay 44 2,367started by billman (4/23/09 at 4:50am)1/3/14 at 2:37am by jaxsa 8 12,709started by BabySmokologist (12/31/13 at 10:43am)1/1/14 at 5:36am by BabySmokologist 5 280started by Big Lew BBQ (12/15/13 at 2:43pm)12/31/13 at 3:36pm by blacktuskjerky 9 828started by TucsonBill (12/30/13 at 8:57am)12/30/13 at 2:54pm by Cprmom 1 146started by SB59 (12/27/13 at 11:42am)12/29/13 at 12:30pm by SB59 7 663started by dog1234 (12/28/13 at 12:25pm)12/28/13 at 2:43pm by DaveOmak 3 215started by HarperLC (12/9/13 at 2:07pm)12/27/13 at 12:46pm by DaveOmak 4 665started by Boodro (12/19/13 at 9:00am)12/20/13 at 3:28pm by Boodro 12 274started by snickers104 (12/18/13 at 7:37am)12/18/13 at 11:18am by junkcollector 1 350started by Big Lew BBQ (12/9/13 at 8:36am)12/17/13 at 12:28pm by Humdinger 3 698started by ERNurse28 (7/14/13 at 9:55pm)12/15/13 at 2:26pm by ERNurse28 9 16,755started by Stank56 (12/7/13 at 9:54am)12/14/13 at 8:17pm by Stank56 3 385started by Grouse (12/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/14/13 at 5:14pm by Grouse 7 732started by yercall (12/12/13 at 5:23am)12/13/13 at 5:35am by yercall 8 264started by xzebra (11/13/13 at 1:50pm)12/12/13 at 7:26am by Trikefreak 7 828started by Knothead69 (11/21/13 at 6:40pm)12/10/13 at 2:44pm by Foamheart 12 484started by mlol (12/6/13 at 4:16am)12/10/13 at 12:02pm by Big Lew BBQ 5 499started by flyweed (12/3/13 at 12:01pm)12/10/13 at 11:11am by flyweed 9 5,867started by BabySmokologist (12/7/13 at 10:26pm)12/10/13 at 11:02am by BabySmokologist 4 514started by Grouse (12/10/13 at 5:04am)12/10/13 at 5:04am by Grouse 0 132started by lilpete (10/11/13 at 8:26am)12/9/13 at 9:37am by Palladini 6 391started by grimreeper (11/18/13 at 3:50pm)12/9/13 at 9:09am by Big Lew BBQ 9 297started by bison (12/8/13 at 4:56pm)12/8/13 at 5:09pm by WestCoast 1 526started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 7:23am)12/8/13 at 8:54am by dirtworldmike 1 334started by delarosa74868 (3/16/12 at 5:46pm)12/8/13 at 7:23am by Bill19114 13 975started by HanksMeat (11/17/13 at 10:09am)12/4/13 at 10:41pm by Palladini 2 1,218started by okeedokeesmokee (12/3/13 at 8:33am)12/4/13 at 10:20pm by Palladini 2 447started by Bubba96 (12/2/13 at 2:46pm)12/3/13 at 7:37am by okeedokeesmokee 2 196started by okeedokeesmokee (12/1/13 at 6:10am)12/1/13 at 7:17am by dougmays 3 348started by chady (11/24/13 at 6:43pm)11/25/13 at 1:25pm by dirtsailor2003 4 577started by jimalbert (11/21/13 at 5:07pm)11/23/13 at 6:22pm by Mitchk 5 7,032started by GONE4NC (11/17/13 at 12:28pm)11/20/13 at 2:51pm by So MS Smoker 6 604started by Pureflusher (11/16/13 at 7:36pm)11/16/13 at 8:06pm by So MS Smoker 1 421started by echodreamz (11/12/13 at 1:59pm)11/14/13 at 3:23pm by echodreamz 10 795
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › New guy 2 minutes ago
- › ***Grilling Smoking & Fire Safety Tips*** 3 minutes ago
- › QueView - Four sausages 4 minutes ago
- › First Ribs, beans and potato salad of the season 5 minutes ago
- › First Spatchcock chicken 6 minutes ago
- › Hello -- New to SMF 10 minutes ago
- › Hey Guys 12 minutes ago
- › An old picture 19 minutes ago
- › Jalapeno Sausage From "Triple D" with Que-View 25 minutes ago
- › Elderly man sentenced to 18 months for food certification bribes 25 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices