Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 6
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by tombo (1/24/16 at 6:44pm)1/25/16 at 4:05am by SmokinAl 3 322started by tjmitche (1/22/16 at 9:07am)1/24/16 at 8:57pm by Disco 15 653started by MossyMO (1/16/16 at 9:42am)1/24/16 at 12:51pm by MossyMO 11 501started by Stayhot (1/18/16 at 5:21am)1/19/16 at 4:59am by Stayhot 4 489started by tntragan (1/15/16 at 8:37pm)1/16/16 at 8:46am by redheelerdog 5 631started by billybob8469 (1/13/16 at 7:36pm)1/15/16 at 3:32am by Grabber 10 450started by Flagg (1/14/16 at 5:26am)1/14/16 at 7:47am by SmokinAl 1 175started by GimmeHarmony (10/9/15 at 10:07am)1/13/16 at 11:05am by Stayhot 14 1,738started by Bill Ace 350 (1/7/16 at 7:06am)1/11/16 at 7:02pm by forluvofsmoke 1 458started by tombo (1/9/16 at 9:41am)1/10/16 at 2:25pm by JckDanls 07 5 414started by Nerdtron93 (12/16/15 at 4:36am)1/7/16 at 6:50am by westby 4 853started by pelletuser (12/10/15 at 7:25am)1/7/16 at 6:33am by westby 14 1,051started by MossyMO (1/3/16 at 3:14pm)1/6/16 at 2:46am by CrazyMoon 7 729started by treekanay (1/4/16 at 4:04pm)1/4/16 at 7:51pm by Chef JimmyJ 4 386started by SMOKIN POP-POP (12/4/15 at 4:08pm)12/29/15 at 8:54pm by GermanJP 14 2,211started by dirtsailor2003 (12/20/15 at 12:08pm)12/23/15 at 10:43am by dirtsailor2003 6 336started by No Brag Fact (12/26/10 at 4:23am)12/20/15 at 7:24am by stevie d 4 18,31112/10/15 at 6:40am by dirtsailor2003 91 2,299started by Gomez93 (12/8/15 at 6:03pm)12/9/15 at 2:36pm by Gomez93 5 408started by Humdinger (11/6/15 at 10:00am)12/9/15 at 9:36am by westby 16 1,44412/9/15 at 8:52am by spicy jill 31 78,499started by jmabrao (12/8/15 at 2:18pm)12/8/15 at 6:11pm by dirtsailor2003 1 273started by damascusmaker (12/6/15 at 11:10am)12/8/15 at 1:48pm by CrazyMoon 3 300started by Rawhide3114 (12/7/15 at 9:00am)12/7/15 at 11:52am by dirtsailor2003 4 269started by 3rdGENump (11/22/15 at 2:53pm)12/7/15 at 8:21am by jeffinmi 4 679started by nunantal (12/6/15 at 8:41am)12/6/15 at 8:52am by forluvofsmoke 1 324started by nunantal (11/23/15 at 10:36am)12/2/15 at 10:10pm by CrankyBuzzard 12 853started by johnnyb99 (3/12/14 at 10:05am)11/28/15 at 10:39am by jerky nut 7 6,01911/24/15 at 12:54pm by CrankyBuzzard 96 2,88311/24/15 at 10:57am by FloridaSteve 34 2,810started by Outtabbq757 (11/14/15 at 9:44am)11/20/15 at 10:47pm by Disco 8 831started by Canadianbacon (1/18/14 at 12:30pm)11/20/15 at 11:32am by Burl Stotts 13 23,879started by eightythree (11/12/15 at 12:16pm)11/19/15 at 9:23am by dirtsailor2003 4 1,561started by eightythree (11/18/15 at 5:20pm)11/19/15 at 5:24am by DaveOmak 6 692started by lvibe (11/16/15 at 3:30pm)11/18/15 at 6:41pm by smokinsomethin 4 411started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:39am)11/14/15 at 8:39am by JuzMeBay 0 147started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:35am)11/14/15 at 8:35am by JuzMeBay 0 93started by theblaz (11/7/15 at 12:02pm)11/12/15 at 11:45am by Foamheart 8 404started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 943started by muralboy (11/7/15 at 7:50am)11/8/15 at 7:27am by dirtsailor2003 6 321started by nunantal (10/30/15 at 12:57pm)10/31/15 at 4:43am by nunantal 2 1,130started by Humdinger (10/28/15 at 1:13pm)10/29/15 at 9:43am by Humdinger 5 1,15310/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,038started by MossyMO (10/24/15 at 12:02pm)10/26/15 at 7:15pm by ND16Bulldog 9 892started by Ladelnutts (10/23/15 at 7:33pm)10/26/15 at 7:10am by Ladelnutts 2 57910/23/15 at 2:06pm by 4PoGo7 86 59,81810/23/15 at 3:58am by Grabber 32 60,216started by alelover (9/21/15 at 8:01am)10/12/15 at 2:10pm by driedstick 5 650started by FloridaSteve (10/2/15 at 1:20pm)10/7/15 at 11:36am by TheGreatMC 17 1,569started by theblaz (10/6/15 at 11:53am)10/7/15 at 4:34am by theblaz 2 363
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Baby Backs First time 2 minutes ago
- › Sausage making question.... 26 minutes ago
- › How far in advance can you trim the fat???? 33 minutes ago
- › man fire food 44 minutes ago
- › So what's everyone smoking this weekend? 2 hours, 37 minutes ago
- › Time for a Breakfast Fatty 2 hours, 55 minutes ago
- › Savory Stuffed Pork Loin 3 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › New guy from Alberta 4 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Got the new smoker seasoned, then smoked some ribs and fatties! 4 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Bresola, and Bear's Eye round Sous Vide project 4 hours, 57 minutes ago
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...