Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 6
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Flagg (1/14/16 at 5:26am)1/14/16 at 7:47am by SmokinAl 1 175started by GimmeHarmony (10/9/15 at 10:07am)1/13/16 at 11:05am by Stayhot 14 1,736started by Bill Ace 350 (1/7/16 at 7:06am)1/11/16 at 7:02pm by forluvofsmoke 1 458started by tombo (1/9/16 at 9:41am)1/10/16 at 2:25pm by JckDanls 07 5 413started by Nerdtron93 (12/16/15 at 4:36am)1/7/16 at 6:50am by westby 4 849started by pelletuser (12/10/15 at 7:25am)1/7/16 at 6:33am by westby 14 1,042started by MossyMO (1/3/16 at 3:14pm)1/6/16 at 2:46am by CrazyMoon 7 715started by treekanay (1/4/16 at 4:04pm)1/4/16 at 7:51pm by Chef JimmyJ 4 382started by SMOKIN POP-POP (12/4/15 at 4:08pm)12/29/15 at 8:54pm by GermanJP 14 2,183started by dirtsailor2003 (12/20/15 at 12:08pm)12/23/15 at 10:43am by dirtsailor2003 6 334started by No Brag Fact (12/26/10 at 4:23am)12/20/15 at 7:24am by stevie d 4 18,17412/10/15 at 6:40am by dirtsailor2003 91 2,277started by Gomez93 (12/8/15 at 6:03pm)12/9/15 at 2:36pm by Gomez93 5 405started by Humdinger (11/6/15 at 10:00am)12/9/15 at 9:36am by westby 16 1,44312/9/15 at 8:52am by spicy jill 31 77,658started by jmabrao (12/8/15 at 2:18pm)12/8/15 at 6:11pm by dirtsailor2003 1 272started by damascusmaker (12/6/15 at 11:10am)12/8/15 at 1:48pm by CrazyMoon 3 300started by Rawhide3114 (12/7/15 at 9:00am)12/7/15 at 11:52am by dirtsailor2003 4 265started by 3rdGENump (11/22/15 at 2:53pm)12/7/15 at 8:21am by jeffinmi 4 679started by nunantal (12/6/15 at 8:41am)12/6/15 at 8:52am by forluvofsmoke 1 324started by nunantal (11/23/15 at 10:36am)12/2/15 at 10:10pm by CrankyBuzzard 12 850started by johnnyb99 (3/12/14 at 10:05am)11/28/15 at 10:39am by jerky nut 7 5,89411/24/15 at 12:54pm by CrankyBuzzard 96 2,83711/24/15 at 10:57am by FloridaSteve 34 2,786started by Outtabbq757 (11/14/15 at 9:44am)11/20/15 at 10:47pm by Disco 8 829started by Canadianbacon (1/18/14 at 12:30pm)11/20/15 at 11:32am by Burl Stotts 13 23,436started by eightythree (11/12/15 at 12:16pm)11/19/15 at 9:23am by dirtsailor2003 4 1,549started by eightythree (11/18/15 at 5:20pm)11/19/15 at 5:24am by DaveOmak 6 687started by lvibe (11/16/15 at 3:30pm)11/18/15 at 6:41pm by smokinsomethin 4 409started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:39am)11/14/15 at 8:39am by JuzMeBay 0 147started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:35am)11/14/15 at 8:35am by JuzMeBay 0 90started by theblaz (11/7/15 at 12:02pm)11/12/15 at 11:45am by Foamheart 8 404started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 936started by muralboy (11/7/15 at 7:50am)11/8/15 at 7:27am by dirtsailor2003 6 321started by nunantal (10/30/15 at 12:57pm)10/31/15 at 4:43am by nunantal 2 1,130started by Humdinger (10/28/15 at 1:13pm)10/29/15 at 9:43am by Humdinger 5 1,14110/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,031started by MossyMO (10/24/15 at 12:02pm)10/26/15 at 7:15pm by ND16Bulldog 9 879started by Ladelnutts (10/23/15 at 7:33pm)10/26/15 at 7:10am by Ladelnutts 2 57510/23/15 at 2:06pm by 4PoGo7 86 59,51810/23/15 at 3:58am by Grabber 32 59,277started by alelover (9/21/15 at 8:01am)10/12/15 at 2:10pm by driedstick 5 645started by FloridaSteve (10/2/15 at 1:20pm)10/7/15 at 11:36am by TheGreatMC 17 1,563started by theblaz (10/6/15 at 11:53am)10/7/15 at 4:34am by theblaz 2 358started by theblaz (10/5/15 at 11:29am)10/5/15 at 12:31pm by dirtsailor2003 3 277started by RonS (10/5/15 at 10:01am)10/5/15 at 11:34am by dirtsailor2003 3 1,316started by Anthony Gervais (10/1/15 at 8:34pm)10/4/15 at 5:08am by Grabber 7 910started by RonS (10/3/15 at 8:54am)10/3/15 at 11:23am by RonS 3 284started by MrFlufalufagus (5/29/15 at 9:11am)9/30/15 at 4:19pm by Asparky 3 362started by CrankyBuzzard (9/23/15 at 3:44pm)9/30/15 at 12:03pm by thesmokist 13 1,647
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Baby backs on board 3 minutes ago
- › Some good chicken thighs tonight 5 minutes ago
- › First attempt at competition style thighs 8 minutes ago
- › Sous Vide chicken piccata(kind of) 34 minutes ago
- › Beef Kabob Meat plus kabob veggies... and Chicken Quarters 1 hour ago
- › First Time Smoking Chicken 1 hour, 4 minutes ago
- › 1st build - Reverse Flow Offset, vertical cooking chamber 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Is young oak good for smoking. 10" diameter 20' tall 1 hour, 24 minutes ago
- › Desert Southwest flavored, 1 hour, 31 minutes ago
- › Sunday Brisket! 1 hour, 32 minutes ago
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by tbdomenz
- › Big Green Egg Kamado Grill MiniMax Portable Outdoor Smoker barbeque... by jshillin
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › "Uncured" hot dogs, bacons
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients