Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 6
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by damascusmaker (12/6/15 at 11:10am)12/8/15 at 1:48pm by CrazyMoon 3 298started by Rawhide3114 (12/7/15 at 9:00am)12/7/15 at 11:52am by dirtsailor2003 4 264started by 3rdGENump (11/22/15 at 2:53pm)12/7/15 at 8:21am by jeffinmi 4 679started by nunantal (12/6/15 at 8:41am)12/6/15 at 8:52am by forluvofsmoke 1 322started by nunantal (11/23/15 at 10:36am)12/2/15 at 10:10pm by CrankyBuzzard 12 843started by johnnyb99 (3/12/14 at 10:05am)11/28/15 at 10:39am by jerky nut 7 5,71011/24/15 at 12:54pm by CrankyBuzzard 96 2,78811/24/15 at 10:57am by FloridaSteve 34 2,762started by Outtabbq757 (11/14/15 at 9:44am)11/20/15 at 10:47pm by Disco 8 828started by Canadianbacon (1/18/14 at 12:30pm)11/20/15 at 11:32am by Burl Stotts 13 22,673started by eightythree (11/12/15 at 12:16pm)11/19/15 at 9:23am by dirtsailor2003 4 1,528started by eightythree (11/18/15 at 5:20pm)11/19/15 at 5:24am by DaveOmak 6 677started by lvibe (11/16/15 at 3:30pm)11/18/15 at 6:41pm by smokinsomethin 4 405started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:39am)11/14/15 at 8:39am by JuzMeBay 0 147started by JuzMeBay (11/14/15 at 8:35am)11/14/15 at 8:35am by JuzMeBay 0 90started by theblaz (11/7/15 at 12:02pm)11/12/15 at 11:45am by Foamheart 8 404started by Thedad45373 (10/30/15 at 2:21pm)11/10/15 at 6:37pm by Thedad45373 4 926started by muralboy (11/7/15 at 7:50am)11/8/15 at 7:27am by dirtsailor2003 6 321started by nunantal (10/30/15 at 12:57pm)10/31/15 at 4:43am by nunantal 2 1,128started by Humdinger (10/28/15 at 1:13pm)10/29/15 at 9:43am by Humdinger 5 1,12510/28/15 at 1:55pm by driedstick 21 1,028started by MossyMO (10/24/15 at 12:02pm)10/26/15 at 7:15pm by ND16Bulldog 9 857started by Ladelnutts (10/23/15 at 7:33pm)10/26/15 at 7:10am by Ladelnutts 2 57010/23/15 at 2:06pm by 4PoGo7 86 58,99910/23/15 at 3:58am by Grabber 32 57,689started by alelover (9/21/15 at 8:01am)10/12/15 at 2:10pm by driedstick 5 639started by FloridaSteve (10/2/15 at 1:20pm)10/7/15 at 11:36am by TheGreatMC 17 1,555started by theblaz (10/6/15 at 11:53am)10/7/15 at 4:34am by theblaz 2 352started by theblaz (10/5/15 at 11:29am)10/5/15 at 12:31pm by dirtsailor2003 3 276started by RonS (10/5/15 at 10:01am)10/5/15 at 11:34am by dirtsailor2003 3 1,299started by Anthony Gervais (10/1/15 at 8:34pm)10/4/15 at 5:08am by Grabber 7 909started by RonS (10/3/15 at 8:54am)10/3/15 at 11:23am by RonS 3 284started by MrFlufalufagus (5/29/15 at 9:11am)9/30/15 at 4:19pm by Asparky 3 350started by CrankyBuzzard (9/23/15 at 3:44pm)9/30/15 at 12:03pm by thesmokist 13 1,562started by Dingo007 (9/28/15 at 5:37pm)9/29/15 at 6:56am by dirtsailor2003 3 500started by shaynadad (9/24/15 at 5:39pm)9/24/15 at 5:39pm by shaynadad 0 777started by smokinginsf (9/23/15 at 10:55am)9/23/15 at 4:02pm by 2grit 3 488started by BigKauna (9/20/15 at 1:16pm)9/22/15 at 1:17pm by BigKauna 5 379started by egledhill (9/22/15 at 6:57am)9/22/15 at 1:11pm by egledhill 5 337started by Ted s (9/18/15 at 3:48pm)9/20/15 at 6:22am by Bama BBQ 1 286started by Prolixitasty (6/1/15 at 1:57pm)9/17/15 at 5:35pm by Cyndi 6 8849/14/15 at 11:17am by DaveOmak 20 461started by RonS (9/14/15 at 10:54am)9/14/15 at 10:54am by RonS 0 157started by gary northrop (9/13/15 at 12:44pm)9/14/15 at 7:12am by dirtsailor2003 1 287started by Ron Burgundy (2/11/14 at 7:24am)9/12/15 at 7:56pm by Ron Burgundy 4 273started by AlexQc (9/10/15 at 2:27pm)9/12/15 at 8:43am by CrazyMoon 2 319started by moshbunny (9/10/15 at 10:06am)9/11/15 at 2:16pm by Wors 1 134started by hendosmoke (9/5/15 at 5:20am)9/7/15 at 3:46pm by hendosmoke 2 136started by pontiac guy (9/6/15 at 3:07pm)9/6/15 at 3:07pm by pontiac guy 0 319Poll: Which flavor sounds better? Maple and Sea salt or AMple and Jalapeno bacon jerky? Please vote!started by Rob Sicc (9/1/15 at 11:45am)9/2/15 at 6:35am by Okie362 6 187
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Smoked Garlic Pork + 5 ~ Foamheart 12 minutes ago
- › Some grilled chicken quarters. 20 minutes ago
- › Which stick burner to buy?? 21 minutes ago
- › PID problems runaway temp 23 minutes ago
- › Jalapeno elk saugage 50 minutes ago
- › I know what I'm doing this weekend... 51 minutes ago
- › ham curing days set in stone? 1 hour, 2 minutes ago
- › 96x30" trailer build 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Sourdough bread 1 hour, 13 minutes ago
- › making snack sticks for the first time this weekend and a couple... 1 hour, 18 minutes ago
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub