Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 4/28/11
Making Jerky - Page 3
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by kb3ejw14 (11/8/16 at 6:48am)11/8/16 at 10:07am by kb3ejw14 5 394started by muddydogs (10/30/16 at 6:50am)11/2/16 at 1:47pm by donr 1 40710/29/16 at 3:38pm by Disco 31 1,302started by jtupper (10/27/16 at 9:14am)10/28/16 at 8:17am by jtupper 4 312started by Brandon Kennedy (10/27/16 at 5:32pm)10/27/16 at 7:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 351started by Rick031 (10/27/16 at 6:14am)10/27/16 at 8:58am by Rick031 2 414started by SWLACAJUN (10/25/16 at 10:32am)10/25/16 at 6:48pm by JckDanls 07 6 296started by LCSmokeaddict (10/7/16 at 9:23am)10/18/16 at 6:00pm by LCSmokeaddict 4 1,022started by BenA (10/10/16 at 7:12am)10/18/16 at 9:12am by Disco 5 388started by waffles (10/10/16 at 1:02pm)10/16/16 at 1:12pm by CrazyMoon 8 624started by kb3ejw14 (10/9/16 at 3:47pm)10/13/16 at 1:39am by kb3ejw14 4 262started by twoalpha (7/28/15 at 11:02am)10/11/16 at 9:10am by theBoyler 15 4,534started by Delaware Smoker (10/9/16 at 8:02am)10/9/16 at 8:02am by Delaware Smoker 0 132started by WaterinHoleBrew (10/3/16 at 5:27pm)10/8/16 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 13 368started by LCSmokeaddict (10/5/16 at 7:29am)10/5/16 at 1:34pm by LCSmokeaddict 7 827started by kb3ejw14 (10/2/16 at 9:40am)10/3/16 at 12:17pm by Rob Sicc 9 255started by Xray (10/2/16 at 11:01am)10/3/16 at 11:18am by Xray 5 344started by Jerky Smith (8/4/16 at 8:22am)10/3/16 at 8:27am by Jerky Smith 11 894started by Rob Sicc (9/20/16 at 8:38am)10/3/16 at 8:00am by dogman60 18 47910/1/16 at 8:25am by dirtsailor2003 51 6639/25/16 at 12:44pm by DaveOmak 22 718started by redheelerdog (9/24/16 at 12:11pm)9/24/16 at 5:26pm by WaterinHoleBrew 2 221started by JusMeJim (9/18/16 at 6:51am)9/18/16 at 4:31pm by dirtsailor2003 5 3409/18/16 at 9:25am by Food Sleuth 22 36,999started by JusMeJim (9/12/16 at 12:58pm)9/16/16 at 2:20pm by JusMeJim 7 437started by Stayhot (8/18/16 at 7:26am)9/16/16 at 1:45pm by emac221 5 5079/16/16 at 1:32pm by 37miles 31 86,856started by CrankyBuzzard (9/4/16 at 1:32pm)9/15/16 at 7:38pm by Lemans 10 535started by CrankyBuzzard (9/9/16 at 7:48am)9/15/16 at 3:09pm by CrazyMoon 9 294started by Mikedaub (9/11/16 at 5:29am)9/11/16 at 10:25am by Mikedaub 2 340started by birdh8r (9/10/16 at 4:14pm)9/11/16 at 9:54am by DaveOmak 1 150started by superthinjerky (9/9/16 at 6:11pm)9/9/16 at 8:07pm by superthinjerky 2 556started by JusMeJim (9/9/16 at 3:37pm)9/9/16 at 3:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 246started by BelgianBoy (9/4/16 at 6:29am)9/6/16 at 7:55am by forluvofsmoke 5 215started by snickers104 (2/28/13 at 10:55am)8/28/16 at 4:20pm by Brad Nielson 7 2,360started by nepas (8/22/16 at 1:44pm)8/26/16 at 5:31pm by DaveOmak 8 414started by ypsijerk (8/17/16 at 5:10pm)8/22/16 at 5:44am by Uncle Eddie 5 405started by nepas (7/12/16 at 11:16am)8/18/16 at 8:56am by MossyMO 7 361started by nunantal (7/28/16 at 12:47pm)8/17/16 at 1:17pm by DySt0piaN 8 345started by DaveOmak (8/6/16 at 2:18am)8/14/16 at 12:05pm by Sigmo 10 542started by bumblebee (1/6/16 at 3:29pm)8/7/16 at 5:09am by nunantal 10 473started by buzzard (3/15/06 at 12:03am)8/4/16 at 3:06am by NewUser4Jerky 15 2,025started by Rhaugle (8/1/16 at 7:18pm)8/3/16 at 7:26pm by Rhaugle 2 154started by HitNmiss (8/3/16 at 3:34pm)8/3/16 at 7:09pm by dirtsailor2003 2 224started by Sigmo (7/31/16 at 3:58am)8/1/16 at 3:10pm by CrazyMoon 1 753started by CrazyMoon (7/11/16 at 8:35am)7/31/16 at 7:22pm by redheelerdog 8 5417/29/16 at 10:15am by SQWIB 24 6,601started by Smoking Hot Ash (11/19/15 at 3:22pm)7/29/16 at 9:27am by nepas 7 793started by dward51 (3/20/16 at 11:55am)7/28/16 at 2:11pm by Hillbilly Jim 9 1,222started by Newburydave (2/29/16 at 7:22pm)7/28/16 at 2:06pm by N4YNU 14 663
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Snacks for the Daytona 500 wreck ,I mean race. 2 minutes ago
- › First whole brisket 5 minutes ago
- › Mary had a little lamb 10 minutes ago
- › Hello everyone from nowhere KS 11 minutes ago
- › Jambalaya Fatty 11 minutes ago
- › UDS Build. 12 minutes ago
- › First batch of Thai Jerky 15 minutes ago
- › Weber grill flare-ups 43 minutes ago
- › Can you cold smoke pork ribs and freeze for later use? 47 minutes ago
- › Brisket Bacon question 50 minutes ago
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas by scubohuntr
- › Masterbuilt Two Door Propane Smoker by JASinIL2006
- › Outdoor Leisure Products Smoke Hollow 38202G by csparrazza
- › Masterbuilt 30" 20070312 with Window by mikeg1218
- › Blaz'n Grill Works "Gridiron" by fivebadgers
- › GMG by Kirby27
- › A-MAZE-N-SMOKER by racecar1439
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives
- › FDA Curing and Smoking Regulations
- › Wild Hawg Rub
- › Follw-up to Smoke House Problems
- › Fine Points of Curing Brine