Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 3
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:40pm)12/30/16 at 7:29am by Chef JimmyJ 10 318started by salmonclubber (11/10/09 at 10:23pm)12/29/16 at 7:01pm by Jonny5000 16 3,607started by Slevin (12/29/16 at 6:54am)12/29/16 at 2:43pm by CrazyMoon 3 316started by nepas (8/8/16 at 3:33am)12/29/16 at 7:47am by Ironhorse07 11 856started by Basil (12/24/16 at 12:42pm)12/26/16 at 1:58pm by dirtsailor2003 4 386started by Heavymoose (12/24/16 at 12:27pm)12/26/16 at 1:57pm by Heavymoose 4 191started by JohnH12 (12/26/16 at 5:37am)12/26/16 at 7:55am by JohnH12 2 147started by Reeltight79 (12/24/16 at 9:02am)12/24/16 at 1:19pm by Chef JimmyJ 3 340started by JohnH12 (12/23/16 at 12:01pm)12/23/16 at 2:44pm by CrankyBuzzard 3 426started by Heavymoose (12/18/16 at 7:08am)12/23/16 at 12:00pm by Heavymoose 5 309started by Mc Smokerson (12/22/16 at 7:24am)12/22/16 at 3:32pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 493started by julian537 (12/18/16 at 8:33pm)12/20/16 at 8:47am by julian537 7 457started by sledhead01 (12/6/16 at 10:06am)12/20/16 at 7:19am by CrankyBuzzard 13 565started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 996started by 123chadder (12/17/16 at 10:59pm)12/18/16 at 8:27am by 123chadder 3 497started by nepas (12/12/16 at 8:25am)12/18/16 at 2:00am by CrazyMoon 14 301started by RubHeavy (12/13/16 at 7:41pm)12/15/16 at 7:05pm by MyOwnIdaho 18 684started by bigbuck (12/14/16 at 6:13am)12/15/16 at 8:14am by dirtsailor2003 4 780started by MyOwnIdaho (11/27/16 at 11:54am)12/12/16 at 8:35am by MyOwnIdaho 3 242started by wayerfowl lvr (12/6/16 at 3:26pm)12/11/16 at 2:49pm by Bladeguy 3 220started by Vikings8480 (9/27/16 at 11:25am)12/11/16 at 9:51am by cashxx 3 1,40612/10/16 at 7:16am by Bomax 20 2,110started by LaVenna Kay Cox (12/8/16 at 7:15pm)12/9/16 at 6:29am by LarkinJr 3 131started by bigbuck (12/7/16 at 6:57am)12/7/16 at 12:41pm by dirtsailor2003 1 256started by revid (11/26/16 at 9:46am)12/6/16 at 4:44pm by Stainless 5 507started by Smokin218R (12/1/16 at 12:04pm)12/5/16 at 9:00am by Smokin218R 10 523started by nepas (12/1/16 at 2:27pm)12/4/16 at 2:56pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 286started by moresmoke (12/2/16 at 3:29pm)12/4/16 at 11:56am by Smokin Jay 8 353started by CrazyMoon (12/3/16 at 1:09pm)12/4/16 at 11:31am by Smokin Jay 5 245started by STEXDVLDOGPILOT (12/4/16 at 9:40am)12/4/16 at 10:36am by STEXDVLDOGPILOT 3 519started by nepas (11/29/16 at 8:33am)12/3/16 at 2:51pm by Disco 7 226started by antelope1027 (12/2/16 at 10:25pm)12/3/16 at 4:29am by Petewoody 1 262started by MeatSweats86 (11/28/16 at 8:28am)12/1/16 at 12:01pm by dirtsailor2003 8 265started by nepas (11/26/16 at 8:15am)11/30/16 at 3:43pm by Disco 8 215started by y2ba (11/24/16 at 7:53pm)11/25/16 at 6:44am by y2ba 2 371started by Kel Krause (11/21/16 at 10:22am)11/22/16 at 5:49pm by Kel Krause 4 336started by mlol (11/9/16 at 2:07am)11/22/16 at 10:01am by dirtsailor2003 6 372started by WNC Goater (11/13/16 at 2:34pm)11/17/16 at 6:51am by WNC Goater 4 285started by flipman77 (11/15/16 at 6:07am)11/15/16 at 10:37am by flipman77 2 698started by jennspen91 (11/11/16 at 1:55pm)11/12/16 at 12:35pm by Stainless 1 178started by kb3ejw14 (11/8/16 at 6:48am)11/8/16 at 10:07am by kb3ejw14 5 408started by muddydogs (10/30/16 at 6:50am)11/2/16 at 1:47pm by donr 1 53310/29/16 at 3:38pm by Disco 31 1,354started by jtupper (10/27/16 at 9:14am)10/28/16 at 8:17am by jtupper 4 325started by Brandon Kennedy (10/27/16 at 5:32pm)10/27/16 at 7:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 363started by Rick031 (10/27/16 at 6:14am)10/27/16 at 8:58am by Rick031 2 528started by SWLACAJUN (10/25/16 at 10:32am)10/25/16 at 6:48pm by JckDanls 07 6 323started by LCSmokeaddict (10/7/16 at 9:23am)10/18/16 at 6:00pm by LCSmokeaddict 4 1,103started by BenA (10/10/16 at 7:12am)10/18/16 at 9:12am by Disco 5 404started by waffles (10/10/16 at 1:02pm)10/16/16 at 1:12pm by CrazyMoon 8 691
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › 1st Brisket Attempt 2 minutes ago
- › New to smoking 5 minutes ago
- › Where to cut the CC door? 9 minutes ago
- › Can't Keep The Pellets Lit! 12 minutes ago
- › Filet Mignon in my SV Supreme Oven 17 minutes ago
- › New here 19 minutes ago
- › What's your occupation? 27 minutes ago
- › Fried Trout Dinner with Fixins 30 minutes ago
- › Beef Jerky 31 minutes ago
- › Zanzibar Brand Pork and Beef Seasoning Recipes 33 minutes ago
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by Travelbilly
- › Helotes Salado Smoker by ShutterlyExpose
- › Grill Pro 31846 Propane Smoker by samwise
- › Bradley BTIS1 Original Fully Automatic 4-Rack Outdoor Food Smoker by ScotTex
- › Primo Oval XL Ceramic Grill by ZombieKitty
- › DGO1176BDC-D Vertical Offset Charcoal Smoker by Tragusa113
- › Pit Boss Grills 71820 Wood Pellet Grill by AB Canuck
- › Pit Boss 71700FB Pellet Grill with Flame Broiler, 700 sq. in. by BDawg
- › Traeger Industries, Inc. Timberline 850 by Submariner
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by ednosnaws
- › From Bon Appétit - Breaking down and...
- › My First Smoked Brisket
- › The "UNCURED" Fallacy
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer