Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 3
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by Smokin218R (12/1/16 at 12:04pm)12/5/16 at 9:00am by Smokin218R 10 405started by nepas (12/1/16 at 2:27pm)12/4/16 at 2:56pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 279started by moresmoke (12/2/16 at 3:29pm)12/4/16 at 11:56am by Smokin Jay 8 342started by CrazyMoon (12/3/16 at 1:09pm)12/4/16 at 11:31am by Smokin Jay 5 240started by STEXDVLDOGPILOT (12/4/16 at 9:40am)12/4/16 at 10:36am by STEXDVLDOGPILOT 3 505started by nepas (11/29/16 at 8:33am)12/3/16 at 2:51pm by Disco 7 217started by antelope1027 (12/2/16 at 10:25pm)12/3/16 at 4:29am by Petewoody 1 256started by MeatSweats86 (11/28/16 at 8:28am)12/1/16 at 12:01pm by dirtsailor2003 8 251started by nepas (11/26/16 at 8:15am)11/30/16 at 3:43pm by Disco 8 204started by y2ba (11/24/16 at 7:53pm)11/25/16 at 6:44am by y2ba 2 354started by Kel Krause (11/21/16 at 10:22am)11/22/16 at 5:49pm by Kel Krause 4 317started by mlol (11/9/16 at 2:07am)11/22/16 at 10:01am by dirtsailor2003 6 370started by WNC Goater (11/13/16 at 2:34pm)11/17/16 at 6:51am by WNC Goater 4 284started by flipman77 (11/15/16 at 6:07am)11/15/16 at 10:37am by flipman77 2 637started by jennspen91 (11/11/16 at 1:55pm)11/12/16 at 12:35pm by Stainless 1 176started by kb3ejw14 (11/8/16 at 6:48am)11/8/16 at 10:07am by kb3ejw14 5 405started by muddydogs (10/30/16 at 6:50am)11/2/16 at 1:47pm by donr 1 48210/29/16 at 3:38pm by Disco 31 1,329started by jtupper (10/27/16 at 9:14am)10/28/16 at 8:17am by jtupper 4 323started by Brandon Kennedy (10/27/16 at 5:32pm)10/27/16 at 7:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 356started by Rick031 (10/27/16 at 6:14am)10/27/16 at 8:58am by Rick031 2 458started by SWLACAJUN (10/25/16 at 10:32am)10/25/16 at 6:48pm by JckDanls 07 6 306started by LCSmokeaddict (10/7/16 at 9:23am)10/18/16 at 6:00pm by LCSmokeaddict 4 1,061started by BenA (10/10/16 at 7:12am)10/18/16 at 9:12am by Disco 5 399started by waffles (10/10/16 at 1:02pm)10/16/16 at 1:12pm by CrazyMoon 8 658started by kb3ejw14 (10/9/16 at 3:47pm)10/13/16 at 1:39am by kb3ejw14 4 264started by twoalpha (7/28/15 at 11:02am)10/11/16 at 9:10am by theBoyler 15 4,635started by Delaware Smoker (10/9/16 at 8:02am)10/9/16 at 8:02am by Delaware Smoker 0 139started by WaterinHoleBrew (10/3/16 at 5:27pm)10/8/16 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 13 386started by LCSmokeaddict (10/5/16 at 7:29am)10/5/16 at 1:34pm by LCSmokeaddict 7 858started by kb3ejw14 (10/2/16 at 9:40am)10/3/16 at 12:17pm by Rob Sicc 9 256started by Xray (10/2/16 at 11:01am)10/3/16 at 11:18am by Xray 5 354started by Jerky Smith (8/4/16 at 8:22am)10/3/16 at 8:27am by Jerky Smith 11 899started by Rob Sicc (9/20/16 at 8:38am)10/3/16 at 8:00am by dogman60 18 48510/1/16 at 8:25am by dirtsailor2003 51 6879/25/16 at 12:44pm by DaveOmak 22 738started by redheelerdog (9/24/16 at 12:11pm)9/24/16 at 5:26pm by WaterinHoleBrew 2 225started by JusMeJim (9/18/16 at 6:51am)9/18/16 at 4:31pm by dirtsailor2003 5 3479/18/16 at 9:25am by Food Sleuth 22 38,392started by JusMeJim (9/12/16 at 12:58pm)9/16/16 at 2:20pm by JusMeJim 7 441started by Stayhot (8/18/16 at 7:26am)9/16/16 at 1:45pm by emac221 5 5129/16/16 at 1:32pm by 37miles 31 88,235started by CrankyBuzzard (9/4/16 at 1:32pm)9/15/16 at 7:38pm by Lemans 10 549started by CrankyBuzzard (9/9/16 at 7:48am)9/15/16 at 3:09pm by CrazyMoon 9 301started by Mikedaub (9/11/16 at 5:29am)9/11/16 at 10:25am by Mikedaub 2 347started by birdh8r (9/10/16 at 4:14pm)9/11/16 at 9:54am by DaveOmak 1 151started by superthinjerky (9/9/16 at 6:11pm)9/9/16 at 8:07pm by superthinjerky 2 618started by JusMeJim (9/9/16 at 3:37pm)9/9/16 at 3:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 256started by BelgianBoy (9/4/16 at 6:29am)9/6/16 at 7:55am by forluvofsmoke 5 215started by snickers104 (2/28/13 at 10:55am)8/28/16 at 4:20pm by Brad Nielson 7 2,429
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Beef ribs, AKA "Dino bones" in the smoker. Done! Q view up! 18 seconds ago
- › Ribeye Cheesesteaks (Bear Style Open Face) 1 minute ago
- › Blooming - length and temperature? 2 minutes ago
- › My first attempt of Cold Smoking some Cheese 3 minutes ago
- › Andouille Sausage 4 minutes ago
- › pork loin for sausage 7 minutes ago
- › If I had one last wish... 8 minutes ago
- › Grinder plate 22 minutes ago
- › Help with my new MES 30" 36 minutes ago
- › Electric Smokers ... Bradley vs Masterbuilt???? 37 minutes ago
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Masterbuilt XL 44 propane smoker by comer4tide
- › Sausage And Jerky Makers' Bible: The Home Processor's... by Kirby27
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices
- › ABT with sausage, and grated cheese.
- › Maintaining Grinder Plates and Knives