Last edited: 9/29/13
- Making Your Own Curing SaltsLast edited: 2/12/13
- Cherry & Balsamic Marinated RibeyesLast edited: 8/26/11
- Cherry Dry Rub Recipe And ProcessLast edited: 9/22/12
- Curing Salts For Sausage MakingLast edited: 3/24/17
Making Jerky - Page 3
Jerky - What cuts are 'good'?
You can use just about any cut for jerky, but some are better than others. You want lean meat, whether it is beef, pork, turkey, chicken, possum, venison, etc. You don NOT want fat and/or fat-laced (marbled) meat. When dried and stored, the fat may turn rancid, ruining your jerky. That rules out portions of the chuck, rib and eye, plate, etc., except for lean-only strips of meat, devoid of fat.
Preferred cuts from all meats are usually the round, heel-of-the-round, sirloin/sirloin tip, chuck mock tender, parts off the shanks, arm shoulder, flank and flap meat. Breaking down the round, there is the top, the bottom, and the eye.
Once all the fat is trimmed, including silver membranes if possible, you have the choice to slice the meat "with the grain" or "across the grain". Many prefer it with the long grain, many prefer it with the short grain, easier to chew. Your choice! Usual thickness is 1/8th of an inch.
I've never had any 'bad' jerky, but some better than others...you can also make ground jerky strips too! Enjoy!
Thread Last Post Replies Viewsstarted by sledhead01 (12/6/16 at 10:06am)12/20/16 at 7:19am by CrankyBuzzard 13 562started by smokinadam (12/15/16 at 8:26am)12/19/16 at 6:31pm by smokinadam 14 995started by 123chadder (12/17/16 at 10:59pm)12/18/16 at 8:27am by 123chadder 3 476started by nepas (12/12/16 at 8:25am)12/18/16 at 2:00am by CrazyMoon 14 289started by RubHeavy (12/13/16 at 7:41pm)12/15/16 at 7:05pm by MyOwnIdaho 18 661started by bigbuck (12/14/16 at 6:13am)12/15/16 at 8:14am by dirtsailor2003 4 668started by MyOwnIdaho (11/27/16 at 11:54am)12/12/16 at 8:35am by MyOwnIdaho 3 227started by wayerfowl lvr (12/6/16 at 3:26pm)12/11/16 at 2:49pm by Bladeguy 3 218started by Vikings8480 (9/27/16 at 11:25am)12/11/16 at 9:51am by cashxx 3 1,29212/10/16 at 7:16am by Bomax 20 2,043started by LaVenna Kay Cox (12/8/16 at 7:15pm)12/9/16 at 6:29am by LarkinJr 3 131started by bigbuck (12/7/16 at 6:57am)12/7/16 at 12:41pm by dirtsailor2003 1 234started by revid (11/26/16 at 9:46am)12/6/16 at 4:44pm by Stainless 5 464started by Smokin218R (12/1/16 at 12:04pm)12/5/16 at 9:00am by Smokin218R 10 439started by nepas (12/1/16 at 2:27pm)12/4/16 at 2:56pm by MyOwnIdaho 7 283started by moresmoke (12/2/16 at 3:29pm)12/4/16 at 11:56am by Smokin Jay 8 348started by CrazyMoon (12/3/16 at 1:09pm)12/4/16 at 11:31am by Smokin Jay 5 245started by STEXDVLDOGPILOT (12/4/16 at 9:40am)12/4/16 at 10:36am by STEXDVLDOGPILOT 3 509started by nepas (11/29/16 at 8:33am)12/3/16 at 2:51pm by Disco 7 223started by antelope1027 (12/2/16 at 10:25pm)12/3/16 at 4:29am by Petewoody 1 259started by MeatSweats86 (11/28/16 at 8:28am)12/1/16 at 12:01pm by dirtsailor2003 8 260started by nepas (11/26/16 at 8:15am)11/30/16 at 3:43pm by Disco 8 211started by y2ba (11/24/16 at 7:53pm)11/25/16 at 6:44am by y2ba 2 360started by Kel Krause (11/21/16 at 10:22am)11/22/16 at 5:49pm by Kel Krause 4 324started by mlol (11/9/16 at 2:07am)11/22/16 at 10:01am by dirtsailor2003 6 370started by WNC Goater (11/13/16 at 2:34pm)11/17/16 at 6:51am by WNC Goater 4 285started by flipman77 (11/15/16 at 6:07am)11/15/16 at 10:37am by flipman77 2 655started by jennspen91 (11/11/16 at 1:55pm)11/12/16 at 12:35pm by Stainless 1 177started by kb3ejw14 (11/8/16 at 6:48am)11/8/16 at 10:07am by kb3ejw14 5 407started by muddydogs (10/30/16 at 6:50am)11/2/16 at 1:47pm by donr 1 51610/29/16 at 3:38pm by Disco 31 1,337started by jtupper (10/27/16 at 9:14am)10/28/16 at 8:17am by jtupper 4 323started by Brandon Kennedy (10/27/16 at 5:32pm)10/27/16 at 7:48pm by dirtsailor2003 1 360started by Rick031 (10/27/16 at 6:14am)10/27/16 at 8:58am by Rick031 2 495started by SWLACAJUN (10/25/16 at 10:32am)10/25/16 at 6:48pm by JckDanls 07 6 313started by LCSmokeaddict (10/7/16 at 9:23am)10/18/16 at 6:00pm by LCSmokeaddict 4 1,085started by BenA (10/10/16 at 7:12am)10/18/16 at 9:12am by Disco 5 402started by waffles (10/10/16 at 1:02pm)10/16/16 at 1:12pm by CrazyMoon 8 680started by kb3ejw14 (10/9/16 at 3:47pm)10/13/16 at 1:39am by kb3ejw14 4 265started by twoalpha (7/28/15 at 11:02am)10/11/16 at 9:10am by theBoyler 15 4,698started by Delaware Smoker (10/9/16 at 8:02am)10/9/16 at 8:02am by Delaware Smoker 0 139started by WaterinHoleBrew (10/3/16 at 5:27pm)10/8/16 at 10:35am by WaterinHoleBrew 13 402started by LCSmokeaddict (10/5/16 at 7:29am)10/5/16 at 1:34pm by LCSmokeaddict 7 863started by kb3ejw14 (10/2/16 at 9:40am)10/3/16 at 12:17pm by Rob Sicc 9 257started by Xray (10/2/16 at 11:01am)10/3/16 at 11:18am by Xray 5 366started by Jerky Smith (8/4/16 at 8:22am)10/3/16 at 8:27am by Jerky Smith 11 900started by Rob Sicc (9/20/16 at 8:38am)10/3/16 at 8:00am by dogman60 18 48710/1/16 at 8:25am by dirtsailor2003 51 6929/25/16 at 12:44pm by DaveOmak 22 760started by redheelerdog (9/24/16 at 12:11pm)9/24/16 at 5:26pm by WaterinHoleBrew 2 227
- Making Jerky
- Making Your Own Curing Salts
- › Making my mom a care package. 3 seconds ago
- › Overnight brisket 25 minutes ago
- › Greetings from San Antonio, Texas 2 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › My first Pork Butt 3 hours, 19 minutes ago
- › Weekend Smoke and Some Product Review w/Qview 3 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Bay ~ Foamheart 3 hours, 58 minutes ago
- › BBQ Novice Looking for help 4 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Manual Meat Slicer 4 hours, 35 minutes ago
- › Specialty throwdown poll 4 hours, 54 minutes ago
- › First time on this forum and Brisket Ever starting tomorow any help... 5 hours, 3 minutes ago
- › Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill 596 Sq. In. Cooking... by THood
- › Horizon Smokers Charcoal Basket For 20 Inch Classic And Oklahoma... by ammaturesmoker
- › STUFZ-ORIGINAL STUFFED BURGER MAKER by mstphrchrstphr
- › Brinkmann 805-2101-S Pitmaster Deluxe Smoke 'N Pit by cdpromo1
- › Davy Crockett by accunlmtd
- › Traeger Junior Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Camp Chef SmokePro LUX Pellet Grill by Joe Fenn
- › Black Maverick ET-733 Long Range Wireless Dual Probe BBQ Smoker... by Sauced
- › Nesco VS-02 Food Vacuum Sealer, Black/Silver by Sauced
- › FireBoard - Cloud Connected Smart Thermometer by SmokinAl
- › Fassett's Quality Foods
- › CURING and SMOKING - The Basics
- › Hamburger, ground beef, minced beef
- › A great foldable smoker, one of a kind
- › Dr. Baker's Famous Chicken BBQ
- › CURING INFORMATION BY NEPAS
- › Goodly Vacuum Sealer
- › Differences Between Spareribs, St. Louis...
- › Pre-Proportioning Mix Ingredients
- › Smoked Octopus on Taro "toast" slices