Just Curious On What All States Do?!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Most times here in NS, animals are picked up by Lands and Forrest and taken to one of the wildlife parks to feed the living animals.
That is when they are told there is one hit.
Some times you see one and you know it has been there for days. Very sad.

David

• Sad
Reactions: HalfSmoked
Here in SC, I've never really heard of any laws pertaining to roadkill so out of curiosity, I went looking and found this website which kind of breaks it down for all states...

It appears that there are no listed restrictions here and that's what I've always believed. Our highway department does a decent job of cleaning up roadkill and I know quite a few people who've hit deer and taken them to a processor or just processed themselves...

Idaho is still open range laws? Hit a beef and it is your's?
FA, man I wish…..open range as the ISP calls the beef farmer and he comes and gets it and then you get an invoice in the mail for the beef, his time to come get it, and even a bill for it to be processed so he can eat it…….. oh and your insurance rates go up as a thank you…….PS I’m not kidding and it’s even a question on the DL test……

In Alaska there is a way to register with the state to be on a list of people / organizations that are called to salvage when a critter is crunched. Mostly charitable organizations. But, they call, and if you don't want to or can't do it right then, no matter the time or weather, they move on to the next person on the list. It is not wasted.
Yup I was in the list when I was in AK. Over 300 moose were hit a year in the little section of highway by our house. 1300 or so for the whole stretch into the big town….. let’s just say we all had moose in the freezer one way or another. My buddy even got a call for a bear…… the kicker is you had pick it up and take it off site to process. The AST would dispatch it on arrival and you would grab and run…..

In Tn call the local law and they will give you a ID # and you can have a processor do it if you don't want to

WA changed it to this way in 2016. You just need to get an online permit w/in 24 hours of the roadkill.
I used to give some of my frozen deer to a foodbank. They could accept it as long as it was professionally cut and wrapped. Not a problem for me, as a local butcher would dress them out for me, on the side; steaks, roasts, ground, etc.

Hear in MO the population is so high or people are lazy. Most lay and rot till state pick up. First of November its nothing to see road kill every 1 to 2 miles.

Justin, In NH, a resident who hits a deer or moose can keep the animal. In the event that the unlucky motorist doesn't want the critter then NH F&G has a list of folks who will come and pick up the animal for personal consumption. I probably got a dozen moose back in the day when a phone call at 2 AM didn't bother me, these days I like my sleep.

Hear in MO the population is so high or people are lazy. Most lay and rot till state pick up.
If it's on the shoulder or in the road MoDot is responsible . If it's in the ditch / off the road you need written permission from Mo. Conservation , or an in season tag .

Reactions: BC Buck
Not sure about here Justin... but I do know if you hit a horse on the highway pulling a camper and you don't kill it, you wished you had a gun with you. Happened to a guy I know! And since said horse wasn't a repeat offender, said guy's insurance company had to pay for damages.

Ryan

Not sure about here Justin... but I do know if you hit a horse on the highway pulling a camper and you don't kill it, you wished you had a gun with you. Happened to a guy I know! And since said horse wasn't a repeat offender, said guy's insurance company had to pay for damages.

Ryan
Yep, different rules for livestock for sure. Some are a bit weird like that one. "Kinda" funny story, a buddy of mine was a ranch hand here in town and shot the ranchers dog, cause he thought it was a coyote. He had to buy him a new pup. But that was more of a mutual respect issue.

Reactions: JLeonard
I've only hit 1 deer in 55 years of driving. Happened in town back in MN so I was only driving 30 mph. Driving my son's old pickup and he put a cheap bull bar on it. I hit that doe about 4 times before getting stopped. No damage to pickup, but that deer was so beat up there was no way I was wasting my time to find any usable meat. Luckily the person behind me stopped in time. Drug it off the road and called the city to come pick it up.

I live in KALIFORNIA, you can't keep any roadkill out here.

I wish someone would hit our Governor, Government and head of DFG and leave them rotting in a ditch all together in the 69 position.

We are trapped here until my parents are gone, unfortunately. Then we're moving to Cabo. By then there will be more Mexicans living in the US then Mexico.

Only a joke, relax!!!

Last edited:
I live in KALIFORNIA, you can't keep any roadkill out here.

I wish someone would hit our Governor, Government and head of DFG and leave them rotting in a ditch all together in the 69 position.

We are trapped here until my parents are gone, unfortunately. Then we're moving to Cabo. By then there will be more Mexicans living in the US then Mexico.

Only a joke, relax!!!

Haha, I was reading thru this in So Cal thinking who wants a dog, skunk or a slightly used cat?

Haha, I was reading thru this in So Cal thinking who wants a dog, skunk or a slightly used cat?
Escape LA, and you will see plenty of tasty road kill going to the scavengers.
Deer, elk, and hogs not too far from Sacramento.
I live along the CA delta, and I could fill a freezer quickly. During the rut the bucks get stupid, chasing eachother, and does.

Justin, In NH, a resident who hits a deer or moose can keep the animal. In the event that the unlucky motorist doesn't want the critter then NH F&G has a list of folks who will come and pick up the animal for personal consumption. I probably got a dozen moose back in the day when a phone call at 2 AM didn't bother me, these days I like my sleep.
I think I would travel to NH for a free moose!!!:emoji_wink:

Last edited:
In NY the driver can keep the carcass and the police will issue a tag for it. The driver can also sign the tag over to anyone they choose. Really only an issue if you bring the animal to a butcher/processor that has to have a valid tag if they are inspected by Conservation or a health dept. official.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky