You scratch my back.................................................................;}-

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldschoolbbq

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 16, 2008
NW Ohio - outside Toledo
  A friend and his Dad built a big smoker out of an Heating Oil Drum(oval),went reverse flow and nice fire box,per my discussions with him. Two weeks ago he called me over to se the handy work.

They did a classy job with th welding,and the Balast platewas good,the only thing was(and don't laugh as they are newbies),the smoke had no way into the cooking chamber(they though it would get hot enough and the smoke wouldn't over power the meat,.I had them close the top of the firebox and put a chimney and open the box to the cooking chamber.
tongue.gif

Doing that they were getting a good draw to the exhaust and planning the first cook began hadthem oil her up and they did Chickens the next day.Really good they said and ask how to get less smoke,which went into wood types and the tinfoil thing.Yesterday he brought over some Turkey done in Cherry,really good,and moist. I had him Brine and lay bacon over the Breast to keep it moist and the last 30min.,heat it up high to crisp the skin.

Now he's on a roll.Wants to build one for smaller cooks.I'll be advising him on that and posting pics for you all.

anyhow he came to JR.'s party and tasted the brisket and PP we had and wants to do some Thanksgiving. I'll get him on heretoo,as they (and I being a Friend)want to get into sausage and cheese,so we'll be bothering the experts on that.

Have fun and,

Sounds like a great project. You will love sausage making.

icon_cool.gif

Yes you will enjoy the sausage making alot. But just remember you can'y grind up the dog or the cat. I wanted to when I first got my grinder for I was grinding up everything that I could get my hands on too.

well, it's super cool of you to offer your expertise! 

plus, my hat's off to anyone serious enough about smoking to fabricate their rig from scratch!  and now another one is in the works!  dang, man!  that rocks!

sounds like your friend would be a great addition to the forum!  i look forward to seeing pix of these rigs! 
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

icon_cool.gif

Yes you will enjoy the sausage making alot. But just remember you can'y grind up the dog or the cat. I wanted to when I first got my grinder for I was grinding up everything that I could get my hands on too.
LMAO!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky