1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

You just have to get one of these

Discussion in 'Messages for All Guests and Members' started by AlmaBonner37, Jul 18, 2018.

1. AlmaBonner37

AlmaBonner37 Newbie

I recently went back home for a class rebellion. (Central California) while there did some site seeing.

Just before we left I bought a GPs unit and took it along.

This was one of the most wonderful things, it made the trip so nice.

2. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Both of my cars have built in voice nav. I won't own a car that doesn't have it. A great driving tool.

3. Agreed. I won't buy a car without it either. To me they are like cordless drills....how did we ever live without these gadgets?

4. atomicsmoke

atomicsmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Today is July 18 2018 isn't it? Just checking....i was getting the feeling i woke up in 2002.

dls1 likes this.
  5. Rings Я Us

Rings Я Us Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

GPS in my experience, doesn't lose the signal nearly as much as my phone's have in a map app

6. Steve H

Steve H Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Agree. GPS is more stable in the big open. Both work, to me anyway, fine in built up areas.

7. Rings Я Us

I think this guy made his profile to be a joke.
    No matter. :D

8. SmokinAl

SmokinAl Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

I use my iPad with mapquest, don't have any fancy stuff in the Mustang.
    Just a lot of horsepower!!
    Al

phatbac likes this.
  9. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

If you want to know where you are all the time, get a GPS watch. My daughter is a runner and uploads her daily run from her GPS watch to a site called Strava, where runners can compare their routes and times. Her husband "met" her this way when he tried to catch up with her while out jogging, but couldn't get to her. He then "stalked" her on Strava to find out who she was.

10. Braz

Braz Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

I have used GPS since the old Garmin Street Pilot days. I now have a Garmin Zumo which moves between the bike and the truck and a Nuvo in the Alfa. A good cell phone GPS app is "Waze."

11. dls1

dls1 Smoking Fanatic

I thought something very similar when I saw your comment. The first car I bought with a gps navigation system was in 1994. It was an expensive option on a car for my wife who was (is) so directionally dysfunctional it's pathetic. Didn't help much because she couldn't figure out how to use it.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
  12. noboundaries

noboundaries Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Technology is wonderful, as long as it works, and you have that instinct screaming "sumpin' ain't right here." I made sure my kids knew how to drive a stick shift and read maps, you know, for the zombie apocalypse, EMP, Coronal Mass Ejection, etc.

I used to live by Thomas Guides and Rand McNally atlases. Everything was great as long as you didn't catch fire. Plus, you could always find a page you'd never use in case you needed to actually start a fire or were in the middle of nowhere and out of toilet paper.

WAZE, Google Maps, Gas Buddy, Love's Connect, etc have replaced all that paper, saving trees and ink. Now I ALWAYS travel with toilet paper. Without it, I'd need a new phone.

yankee2bbq likes this.
  13. Rings Я Us

Al,
    Today I saw a special Roush performance mustang by the Roush Factory. The Mustang had all Houston body works and a big wing spoiler on it.. Said Roush on it.
    It had a Manufacturer plate. If I see it again I will take pics.

14. lemans

lemans Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

So sat I bought myself a new car.. The last new one was 2006! So this one as soon as I get in , it recognizes my phone and everything comes up on the dashboard screen. Google maps, my contacts Sirius Radio. All voice activation.
    How did I live without it?Its like smoking without a guru!!!

15. johnmeyer

johnmeyer Master of the Pit

I'm still driving the car I bought in 1990. Imagine the technology shock I'm in for, if I live long enough to buy another car.

16. Gleaned from a motorcycle group I frequent. Using your smartphone as a a GPS:

Smart phones have a built-in GPS receiver and don't rely on cell signal for positioning. The issue with no cell service is that you need to make sure you have maps ON the phone before you lose signal.

Lots of folks obtain an older cell phone and run a bunch of mapping apps on it, and use it as a dedicated GPS with no SIM card or anything in it. (Me included) I have two Samsung S5's...one working as my cell and tucked away safe, the other as my GPS on the handlebar.
    There are tons apps that let you download maps and store them offline for use when there's no cell service.
    Google Maps has added offline support.
    And I'm not saying to use a cell rather than a dedicated GPS unit...but it almost sounds like you'd depend on your iPhone if it didn't lose signal.
    I've owned around 13 Garmin handhelds, starting with the little yellow one, and I far prefer to use my phone...larger screen, better screen, all the maps you could want, easier to work with data, easy to back up via the Web, etc etc.

Also, depending on your love (or hate) of tech stuff, an app on your phone will likely be a whole lot less of a learning curve than adding another device, and learning the Garmin software to manage your points and tracks.

Just tossing the option out there that you can use hardware you already own. There are pros and cons to going each way.