You have to crawl before you can walk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokeyLee15

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 13, 2021
Central Ohio
Can’t get enough of my new Rec Teq, picked up a Chuck Roast. Did a Memphis rub and ran it at 240 until IT was 165 then wrapped it in foil and threw it back on the smoker until IT was 205. Wasn’t as juicy and tender as I would have liked, I’m new to smoking. It was snowing and sleeting shortly after I fired it all up. Still tasty and delicious!
63A3D077-5F15-4EBD-A17A-B8D3409AB0F0.jpeg

E22C4792-791C-482E-9D2D-11B601312638.jpeg

An unwrapped chuck is the most frustrating hunk of meat on the planet. You definitely cannot cook to temp. It might probe tender at 200F, or not until 215F. That chuck wasn't ready at 205F.

I struggled with chucks for years until I ate a beautifully tender juicy chuck roast at a church meal before a family funeral. I asked the Texas octogenarian her secret. She leaned over and whispered, "Dear, you gotta cook the snot out of it."

I took her wisdom to heart and haven't eaten a dry or tough chuckie since.

I've also yet to master the chuck roast. I still buy 'em and try though. If i dont like they way they turn out i cut it up and use it for soup or chili. Yours looks pretty good.
Jim

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
I love cooking chuck roasts. They're so great. I don't always do this but some of my best roasts happen when I pull them off the smoker around 160-170 and throw them into a dutch oven with broth and whatever else I want. Then, into the oven (or keep on the smoker) until they're probe/fork tender. Like noboundaries noboundaries siad, temp can vary a lot!

That still looks like a darn good roast!

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Looking at those slices of cooked meat, that appears to be a shoulder, not a chuck. Same neck of the woods on the cow, but a little different. They'll often times be labeled "Beef Chuck Shoulder". I'd need a pic of it unseasoned to be sure....

I was thinking the same thing based on the lack of fat marbling.

857549_cimg9301.jpg

Looks Great, Lee !!!
However I agree that it doesn't appear to be a Chuck Roast.
I wouldn't care as long as it tastes as good as it looks!!
Nice Job!
Like.

Bear

The first chuckie I smoked came out great. I thought I was onto something since at that time they were fairly cheap (not anymore, a choice brisket packer is cheaper by the lb). The next two were dry. I finally tried cooking them like a brisket with wrapping and probing for doneness and that helped.
Nowadays if I grit my teeth and pay the price they go in a roaster with potatoes, carrots and onions in the oven....
Yours looks dandy from here :-)

The first chuckie I smoked came out great. I thought I was onto something since at that time they were fairly cheap (not anymore, a choice brisket packer is cheaper by the lb). The next two were dry. I finally tried cooking them like a brisket with wrapping and probing for doneness and that helped.
Nowadays if I grit my teeth and pay the price they go in a roaster with potatoes, carrots and onions in the oven....
Yours looks dandy from here :-)

Yup, I'm constantly on the lookout for under $6.99 Chuckies.
We just saw them at Giant for $4.49. I ordered 2.
They'll be SV bound---One at 131°.
The other at 165° for pulled Beef.
That's if it wasn't a Mirage. I checked "Do Not Substitute".

Bear

We can usually get boneless chuck roast for around $3.59-$3.99/lb on sale for choice this year. Last year they were $2.99/lb on sale regularly....

Haven't seen those prices for a Long Time!!!
And you live where??
Put that in your profile, and we wouldn't have to ask you.

Bear

$6.99 Chuckies
YIKES! :emoji_astonished:

I can usually find them on sale for $3.79 lb down here in SE Arizona.
And when I do, I stock up.

Last week my local grocery store had a very nice selection of Top Round on sale for $2.79 lb. Picked up a nice thick one for a smoke and reverse sear this past Monday.

20210201_142644.jpg

Reactions: SmokinEdge
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky