Yoshida's pork shoulder w/qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fourthwind

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Mar 12, 2009
Thornton, CO
With most of the hunting seasons over for me, I decided it was time for a good all day smoke. I aquired an 8 pound shoulder last night. Injected with a 50 / 50 mixture of Yoshida's and pure apple juice. Rubbed the spilled out mixture over the outside, and coated with a modified magic dust. Hit the MES this morning by 6:45. Water pan has beer, apple juice, apple vinager, and water in it. Put a drip pan under the roast with a bit of water, whole garlic cloves, and fresh cracked pepper to catch the drippings for later use. Planning on mopping with a 50 / 50 mix of yoshida's and beer.. Stay tuned.. This should be interesting.

Yoshidas_shoulder_022010.jpg

Ron.. you can stop drooling now
biggrin.gif

OAT this morning was 23.7 degree's on my back porch. Gotta love starting a smoke when it's snowing.

Meat at 141 now, Looking great. Used a few bits of lump coal and hickory for wood. Even on a snow day my neighbour has come over for a "meat inspection" due to the smells wafting around.

IMG_36181.JPG

Looking good there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Up to 165 now.. going to wait till 175 before foiling to get more bark. It smells and looks great.. Cant wait for the man candy to finish forming.

IMG_3621.JPG

I know when I did a pork loin with Yoshidas it was great, from the look of your pics I have no doubt it will be a tasty smoke.

that looks fabulous ...............last thanksgiving I took some smoked turkey to my vietnamise neighbor she has been asking what I was doing that smelled soooo good, ever since then if I am smoking you can see her peeking out the window like she is wondering what is for dinner lol ...........I love making the neighbors drool! ! ! !

Ok guys and gals.. The results are in and this one is a KEEPER!!!! Now the flavor profile is not what I expected. I honestly expected since I injected it with Yoshida's and mopped with it, that I would get a fairly heavy Yoshida's flavor in the meat. The bark does have a great little sweetness to it. It was definate man candy! Ate my calories for the day just picking at bark. lol The meat was just awesome.. It was not sweet like I expected, but it was full of flavor that did not over ride the pork. I will be doing this again without a doubt.. Wife thinks it's one of my best yet. After tasting I changed my dinner plans from rice to salad and tortilla's. My mouth is still in that "damn that was good" feed me more mode.

The pull (Love them bear claws)
IMG_3624.JPG

The Plate.
IMG_3625.JPG

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky