Yoder CS may have just lost a sale!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mrad

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Sep 27, 2012
Princeton, MN
Today I finally got a hold of someone at Yoder who knew something about the product. we wee having a good conversation and I had told him I had narrowed my choice to the Yoder 640 or Blazin Grid Iron. The Yoder rep did a pretty good job of beating down the Blazin and telling me how it would only last 3-4 years (as they only have a two year warranty). He then asked me my zip code. after giving it to him, he said he could no longer help me as there was a dealer within a 100 miles of me. He had previously told me about some discounts on the competition wheel cart that were blemished, but after learning of my zip code, would no longer discuss pricing.

If this is the kind of service they provide, I do not think I am interested in their product and may go back to blazin or rec tec

Hmm...that's weird.  It seems a little counter productive when they're in the business of selling smokers.  I've never heard of anything like that.  You'd think if they had someone on the line who expressed any interest in buying the product, the sales guy would do whatever it took to close the deal and get your money.

I agree that it raises a red flag as far as CS goes, but they still build a great, solid smoker.

Good luck with your continuing quest!  
icon14.gif

Red

Just perhaps the dealer may have a protected area to avoid competition from the factory and avoid being undercut on price.
Yes I'm sure you're correct...I assumed the same.  But that seems to put the dealer's needs ahead of the customer's needs.  If I wanted a particular product, and the only option I had was a dealer that was 100 miles away, I would prefer the ability to order it online and have it shipped to my door.  

Yoder's policy (if this is, in fact, their policy) doesn't seem to put the convenience of the customer in mind, which in this case seems to have cost them a sale.

Just an opinion...

Red

Yoder in unable to assist if you are within a certain distance of a dealer, they are just trying to protect their dealers. 

That said you should contact All Things BBQ at https://www.atbbq.com  and create an account. ATTBBQ is owned by Yoder and run by the family. I had the same problem when I spoke to Yoder and they can't suggest ATTBBQ but I found them on my own. Even though I have a dealer about 50 miles from me it was cheaper for me to order my YS640 with options and a half pallet of pellets than to buy from the local dealer.

If I bought from the local guy I would have had to pay for shipping to his location and then delivery to my house, plus tax. By going direct I save quite a few hundred dollars.

Joe

Yoder does have protected areas which I can respect. Ivan visited the dealer that was about 60 miles away from me. He was a new dealer who had been in business a month. I looked at his product and was fairly impressed. However, with him only having been in business only a month I was a little concerned on who would take care of me if he closed shop . I called Yoder to get some general information on the warranty And a few other things about their product. The salesman I talked to was extremely arrogant and cut down everyone else's product. When I mentioned to him I probably wouldn't order the competition car because of the $800 price tag he asked who gave me that price and said they had blemished ones for $550 . He then asked for my ZIP Code and told me there was a dealer in my area and that he could no longer discuss pricing. I told him I had no problem with that, and only one to find out who would service me get my local dealer went out of business. I also asked if my local dealer had access to blemished units. At that point he said I can no longer discuss anything with you.

I told him I had no problem with that, and only one to find out who would service me get my local dealer went out of business. I also asked if my local dealer had access to blemished units. At that point he said I can no longer discuss anything with you.

After that comment, I realized I was no longer in the market for a Yoder. This morning I ordered a blaz'n grill works gridiron after having my third or fourth conversation with Tim in the past week. He has had at least an hour and a half to two hours of his time invested in me explaining his product.

The closest he ever came to cutting down the competition was telling me that rec tec steel was made in China and may not be the same standard as American steel. He never once said they were a bad product.

Looks like I will have about a four week wait for my grill.

Yes I'm sure you're correct...I assumed the same.  But that seems to put the dealer's needs ahead of the customer's needs.  If I wanted a particular product, and the only option I had was a dealer that was 100 miles away, I would prefer the ability to order it online and have it shipped to my door.  

Yoder's policy (if this is, in fact, their policy) doesn't seem to put the convenience of the customer in mind, which in this case seems to have cost them a sale.

Just an opinion...

Red
I tend to agree with you. IMO Yoder telling you to drive 100miles one way is a bit much. But if they are even refusing to discuss options is way over the top. A company like that, I would not do business with.

Yoder does have protected areas which I can respect. Ivan visited the dealer that was about 60 miles away from me. He was a new dealer who had been in business a month. I looked at his product and was fairly impressed. However, with him only having been in business only a month I was a little concerned on who would take care of me if he closed shop . I called Yoder to get some general information on the warranty And a few other things about their product. The salesman I talked to was extremely arrogant and cut down everyone else's product. When I mentioned to him I probably wouldn't order the competition car because of the $800 price tag he asked who gave me that price and said they had blemished ones for $550 . He then asked for my ZIP Code and told me there was a dealer in my area and that he could no longer discuss pricing. I told him I had no problem with that, and only one to find out who would service me get my local dealer went out of business. I also asked if my local dealer had access to blemished units. At that point he said I can no longer discuss anything with you.

I told him I had no problem with that, and only one to find out who would service me get my local dealer went out of business. I also asked if my local dealer had access to blemished units. At that point he said I can no longer discuss anything with you.

After that comment, I realized I was no longer in the market for a Yoder. This morning I ordered a blaz'n grill works gridiron after having my third or fourth conversation with Tim in the past week. He has had at least an hour and a half to two hours of his time invested in me explaining his product.

The closest he ever came to cutting down the competition was telling me that rec tec steel was made in China and may not be the same standard as American steel. He never once said they were a bad product.

Looks like I will have about a four week wait for my grill.

Hey Mike, glad to hear you made a decision...congrats on the new Gridiron! I'll bet you'll be very happy with it...they look like great rigs! Looking forward to seeing some of your qview once you get it. Sorry to hear your bad experience with the Yoder. Everyone I know of who owns one loves it...maybe the bosses at Yoder should know they have an arrogant salesman who's costing them business!

Red

Sorry you had a bad experience. When I was in the market and even after it was delivered I spoke to the owner of Yoder, Don Cary a number of times. 

He was more than helpful and actually responded on a weekend evening twice.

Congrats on the Gridiron... Joe

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky