Yet another rib question...

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gregc, Jul 23, 2010.

1. gregc

gregc Fire Starter

Howdy,

The last time I smoked ribs, I made a St. Louis cut and threw away all the extra meat(did not know what to do with it). Anyway, I did a search and found that you should smoke it and eat as snacks during the smoke. My question is, How do you prepare the extra meat? Do you cut it into small peices? Put Rub on it? Any info on how you prepare yours would be appreciated. Thanks!!

2. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

If I bother to trim St Louis style which I usually don't I just rub the pieces and smoke them however they come off when I trim the ribs. Big pieces small pieces they all taste good

3. I haven't done it, but I would treat it the same way as I would the ribs -- rub 'em up and smoke 'em at the same time.

4. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I prepare them the same way as I do my ribs and we snack on them they they are done. Or we cook them the same amount of time as the spares and put them in beans or other dishes.

5. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

6. gregc

gregc Fire Starter

thanks for all the advice.

7. meatinc

meatinc Smoke Blower

Greg,

I usually put the extra bits in a 1/2 pan or wrap up in foil with a beer and some different rub you've wanted to try - or expand on your original rub.  Then snack on as done and you have a bit of an experiment to compare to the other ribs as they finish.