Yesterdays Smoking Adventure

Discussion in 'Michigan Members Group' started by marlboro, May 19, 2014.

1. Yesterday I got around to smoking those chicken halves.  Simple olive oil, kosher salt, and course ground black pepper.

Came out nice. I held back though was going to pull then at 165 and let them rest but I held out for 170 and my breast was a bit on the dry side. Could have used a touch more salt also.

Beef short ribs today

2. handymanstan

handymanstan Smoking Fanatic Group Lead

Nice looking bird there Matthew. [​IMG] I like a simple rub on birds myself. Next time I know you will nail it.

Stan

3. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Excellent color on those birds. I always use mesquite on my chicken because its not along smoke and imparts good flavor. Though I have a propane burner, not sure how it would turnout on a stick burner?

4. I use a wild cherry...

...because I got all this
    ...on craigslist local for 45 bucks

Very mild sweet smoke which I've really enjoyed on my pork shoulders not bad on the chicken and I was suprised on how well I liked it on my beef ribs. Once I run out I'll probably pick up some oak. I use royal oak lump to start my fire in a chimney then straight cherry. So far I've enjoyed the results.

To be honest I cannot recall ever having smoked chicken so I have nothing to compare it against.

5. humdinger

humdinger Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That's a nice score of wood for $45. Use it up! :)