Yesterday was yard work day. Today I needed a smoke (Tri-Tip with Q-View) . . .

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

burn-it

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
San Diego CA
Weed Whacker + Rock + Sliding Glass Door = @!#@$#!@

07296c8b_001.jpg

I needed a crevice tool for the shop-vac.

6a24be21_004.jpg

The guy comes on Monday to fix the window.

f89a86e6_007.jpg

Today, the wife and I needed a smoke . . .

WSM 22.5 Usage:  3rd Smoke.

Meat:   2lb Tri-Tip from Costco.

Seasoning:  Olive, Salt and Pepper.

Fuel:   Kroger Brand Lump. 5lbs in the ring and 1/2 Chimney lit on top.  It's what was available.

Smoke Wood:   2 cups mesquite chips in heave duty foil with holes.  It's what was available.

Water Pan:   Foiled and Empty.

Therms:   Mfg. lid at 240 and Mav ET-73 at 239 grate level next to meat (center of grate) and 1 in the meat.

Weather:   85 with light wind.  It's what was available :-)

Finishing Temp:  140

Cooking Time:  1 hour and 25 minutes.  Rested for 20 minutes before slicing.

Overall:   Tender and juicy.  The mesquite flavor was incredible. The wife suggested more seasoning next time.  I'll try my BB Rib seasoning and see if she likes.

I put the tri-tip on when the temp was holding steady at 239 - 240 and realized the top vent was CLOSED!!  Opened it up and the temp shot up to about 290.  I finally got it settled in at 250.  The tri-tip hit 140 in about 1 hour and 20 minutes.  Pulled it off, wrapped it in foil for about 20 minutes while the corn was cooking.  Any way, here's the Q-View:

Two came in the package.

e67a094a_008.jpg

Seasoned one with olive oil, salt and pepper.

5e3f6bef_010.jpg

Packed one for the freezer

38e885aa_013.jpg

On the WSM at 3pm.

14029379_015.jpg

Ready for foil at 4:25pm.

d97deeb6_018.jpg

Out of the foil 20 minutes later.  Dumped the juices in the sink - IDIOT!!!!

1681c7f7_019.jpg

Done just to our liking.

64140167_020.jpg

Ready to eat!

ef0b2284_021.jpg

Cooper taking a nap after dinner.

03ac3290_012.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my my weekend adventure.  

James

Reactions: thunderdome
Bummer about the door...Great smoke with my favorite cut of meat..And you seasoned it perfect.Looks great...

Very crafty with the crevice tool. The Tri-tip looks good too. Can't get those around here.

The tri-tip looks great, Being in FL it's not readily available.(for some reason)

The first i ever had was at the gathering, thanks Bmudd, it was great!

Great looking tri-tip, I haven't done one in ages but yours has got me planning a costco run!  Hope the new window doesn't take too big a bite out of the meat budget!

Great looking tri-tip, we get them here, once in a while. The only store that has them is Publix, but not very often. Sorry about the door!

yo burn it , looks great , just one question , in the pic where you cut it half on the cutting board looks like you cut it WITH the grain and i can't tell in the plated up pic whether you cut across the grain , i hope you cut it across the grain ( much more tender ) you probably already know that but maybe somebody out there doesn't

Beautiful job on the Beef!

Did Cooper get any?

You must have a good sized weed whacker to throw a rock big enough to break that glass!

Thanks,

Bear

uhmgood - Just the first cut was with the grain.  This made for smaller pieces to fit on the plate.
Bear - Since it wasn't heavily spiced, Copper did get a slice.

Thanks to you both.  I'm working my way up to a bigger longer smoke.  The next time I see a brisket at costco, I'm all over it!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky