1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

yep started on smoker construction

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johno, Mar 16, 2007.

1. johno

johno Smoke Blower

i have finally started construction on smoker prototype number one , i say number one because i want to build a more heavy duty one later when i source the materials , but the pipe for this one i picked up for 10 bucks and when i saw it i thought that is just asking to be made into a smoker . the oven will only be 36 inch x 20 inch x 1/8 inch thick , but it will be a big step up from the weber kettle . i have some 1/4 plate that i bought for another project, but that has slipped down my list of priorities and i will use that for the fire box , i saw an old dissused boiler the other day, right in the town where i live it was used in an old ice works many years ago it would make a massive smoker, but they won't part with it , i will take a few pics of it one day and post them here so you can see it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Heck of a score on that pipe johno, cant find one for that price around here. That will make a nice smoker and it will last a long time. I would like to see a pic of that old boiler too. Keep us posted on the smoker progress.

3. pigcicles

pigcicles Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Excellent start to a great project. Keep the pics coming as you progress.

Keep Smokin

4. smokincowboy

smokincowboy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Don't know if anyone thought of looking at hot water heaters but if you take the covering off there is a nice steal tank in it . I've been thinking and watching what you all are buildind

5. buddy

buddy StickBurners

Looks good johno!That will be a nice smoker. I ran into a good deal also when I built mine , I found a 120 gallon
    air compressor tank at a scrap yard for 40 dollars.

6. msmith

msmith Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Smokincowboy a hot water heater tank is what I made my first smoker out of. I cooked on it for 10 yrs and when I built the general I gave it to a friend and he is still cooking on it.

7. johno

johno Smoke Blower

smokincowboy , a hot water system is exactly what i am using , they must be old ,because now they are made of copper , i got 2 large ones and one small one for 10 bucks for the lot , i called it pipe because when i cut the ends off thats what is was , i was going to use the ends for my smoker ends but then i decided i didnt like the shape of them , they were an irregular concave shape with a few humps in them and a few threaded fittings so i made flat ends instead , cost more for the bit of plate for the ends than the pipe did .

8. smokincowboy

smokincowboy Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

johno lookin good so far looking forward to seeing the progress

9. Boy Johno, you’ll be able to smoke up a mess o’ chooks on that Beauty!