Yakitori anyone?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bow-chan

Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
Yuma, AZ
I spent 4 years in Japan while in the service, my wife is Japanese, and if there is one thing I really dig, its Japanese "Street Food"

Almost every New Year that we are not in Japan, I do a type of Japanese street food as a New Years Eve menu for the Misses and I (we would rather be home that driving on that night).

I Picked up a Lodge Sportsman grill/Hibachi several years ago to use for Yakitori (chicken Skewers)...

I was looking at a Japanese style clay grill (shichirin), and was about to by one on Amazon, until the wife mentioned we should check the Japanese store in San Diego, so this weekend, we found one fairly local at 1/2 the Amazon price.

Tonight, I fired it up to do some Yakitori.

I used Chicken breast and thighs. cut into roughly 1" pieces. Put them on the Skewers, Salt and Pepper them, and throw them on the shichirin.

I used B&B Lump lit with a couple chunks of Kingsford. It took about 30 minutes/couple beers to warm up the grill and get it to settle down into a nice burn.

Then I threw the skewers on...

After about 7-10 minutes, I flipped them over

After the first Flip, I brushed on the "Glaze"

The Glaze is:

1/8 Cup Mirin (Sweet Cooking Saki)

1/8 Cup Soy Sauce

1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar

After the second side starts to finish, I flipped them again, brushing that side with the glaze...

When they are finished, I brushed them a final type on both sides and wrapped them up in Foil until the side dish (Crab soup the wife brewed up) was complete...

She said it was the best Yakitori I've ever done....

Last edited:
What would we do without chicken? Looks really great. You doing turkey yakitori now for Thanksgiving??

It really sounds good and quick! I'll have to try it.

Thanks a lot for sharing.

I'll be watching for more oriental style smokes coming from your house now.

Last edited:
Yeah, that yakitori looks delicious!  I'm in San Diego too...  What store did you goto to by the grill?  Marukai?

Yeah, that yakitori looks delicious!  I'm in San Diego too...  What store did you goto to by the grill?  Marukai?
Thanks,

Yup, got it at Marukai. It was around $40.

It takes more time than you would think to get it going well, but once it is going, it provides a nice, even heat across the surface.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky