wsm???!!!!???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

power

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 28, 2013
Semaphore South Australia
if I take the water bowl out of the wsm, can I use it as a normal weber? wife wants a pork leg with crackle! I can get the old weber kettle out! but can I cook meat on top shelf and vegies on bottom shelf or vise versa? thanks 

You certainly can use the WSM without the water pan, but you won't get the sear you would with a regular grill. The distance between the food and the fire will be too great. If you're comfortable with the kettle grill, I'd do it that way. You know what they say, "Happy Wife, Happy Life!".

You could probably get a good sear if you had the meat on the bottom rack, or if you want a super sear you can put your grate right down on top of your charcoal ring. Definately don't put the veggies below the meat, either next to or above would work fine.

Thanks guys lucky I never sold the old girl! (Blue Weber Kettle)! I have noticed in some photos that people put pork in the wsm with the rind on! I did this last week but the rind came out like rubber! any idea what went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys lucky I never sold the old girl! (Blue Weber Kettle)! I have noticed in some photos that people put pork in the wsm with the rind on! I did this last week but the rind came out like rubber! any idea what went wrong?
Temp was too low to give the rind the crisp that you want most likely.  I agree with both Case and JL, they gave good advice...go with that and you can't go wrong.  

You'll probably do well starting on the WSM and finishing off on the Kettle.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.  Be sure to include Q-view!

Bill

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky