Wrapping pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

What temp do you wrap

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bamafan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 4, 2008
Crestview Fl
Just curius on what everyones favorite temperature is to pull and wrap there pork. I used to wrap mine right at 165 but lately have been taking them to 190 to try and get a better bark.

Didn't mean to put this in the STICKY area. Not quite used to the new forum trying to move it to the pork section.

cool.gif

Now I always wrap my butts and ribs (at 165°) but not to much to much else. Why I'm not real sure but that's the way I have done it before and I don't mess with something that works so well to me.

I never wrap.  Just how I do it, but I think it makes the bark soft.  Once I pull my pork I either cover it and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes or wrap in towels and place in a cooler for a few hours if needed.

I wrap because that is what I learned here at the forum.  I don't think I am crazy about bark as much as I really want my pork to come out soft & juicy.  I think wrapping / foiling keeps the moisture in & achieves the softness that I am looking for.

Last edited:
I've been wrapping my pork butts and ribs, but that's it. I'm hoping to learn a bit with this thread. For those that don't wrap, at what temp do you pull a butt off the smoker for pulled pork?

For those that don't wrap, at what temp do you pull a butt off the smoker for pulled pork?
Somewhere between 200 and 210. Then I double wrap in foil, wrap in towels, and cooler for at least a couple of hours. I have gone up to 6 hours in the cooler and it was still too hot to touch.

Corn Cob and BigOrangeSmoker, thanx for the info. I'm going to try my next one without wrapping. I knew I'd learn something with this thread..
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

I pull it out at 190, cover loosely with foil and let it sit at least 30 mins to an hour or so, then pull it.  

I wrap because that is what I learned here at the forum.  I don't think I am crazy about bark as much as I really want my pork to come out soft & juicy.  I think wrapping / foiling keeps the moisture in & achieves the softness that I am looking for.
Pretty much what Cavey said.

Bear

Foil Ribs in steamer pan for the 2 of the 3-2-1 method.

For PP, Butts come off at 195-205 wrapped and placed in cooler up to 2 hours, then removed from cooler foil is vented open till temp evens out a bit, If I get a lot of steam being released, I will close up the foil a bit.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky