Wrapping pork

Discussion in 'Pork' started by bamafan, Jun 3, 2010.

What temp do you wrap

Poll closed Jun 13, 2010.
  1. 165

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 170

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 180

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 190

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 200

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Just curius on what everyones favorite temperature is to pull and wrap there pork. I used to wrap mine right at 165 but lately have been taking them to 190 to try and get a better bark.

2. bamafan

bamafan Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Didn't mean to put this in the STICKY area. Not quite used to the new forum trying to move it to the pork section.

3. gregzee

gregzee Smoke Blower

About 170 for me.  No real reason behind it, its just what I have always done. 

4. kurtsara

kurtsara Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Wrap it for what, I rarely ever wrap pork at home unless I am doing allot of it for some reason

5. I don't wrap any meat.....never saw the need too.

6. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

[​IMG]

Now I always wrap my butts and ribs (at 165°) but not to much to much else. Why I'm not real sure but that's the way I have done it before and I don't mess with something that works so well to me.

7. I never wrap.  Just how I do it, but I think it makes the bark soft.  Once I pull my pork I either cover it and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes or wrap in towels and place in a cooler for a few hours if needed.

8. caveman

caveman Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I wrap because that is what I learned here at the forum.  I don't think I am crazy about bark as much as I really want my pork to come out soft & juicy.  I think wrapping / foiling keeps the moisture in & achieves the softness that I am looking for.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  9. 5lakes

5lakes Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

I've been wrapping my pork butts and ribs, but that's it. I'm hoping to learn a bit with this thread. For those that don't wrap, at what temp do you pull a butt off the smoker for pulled pork?

10. 195* ~ 200* Let it rest for 30 minutes or so. During this time the temperature will continue to rise 5*~10*

Fun!

11. Somewhere between 200 and 210. Then I double wrap in foil, wrap in towels, and cooler for at least a couple of hours. I have gone up to 6 hours in the cooler and it was still too hot to touch.

12. So you're saying you don't wrap??

13. Correct, I do not wrap on the smoker. Never have through many pork butts.

14. Whether you steam/braise/boil....before, during or after you cook....the results are the same.

15. 5lakes

5lakes Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Corn Cob and BigOrangeSmoker, thanx for the info. I'm going to try my next one without wrapping. I knew I'd learn something with this thread..[​IMG]

16. miketron

miketron Newbie

I also have never foiled ANY meat on the smoker and had great results.

17. dick foster

dick foster Smoking Fanatic

I pull it out at 190, cover loosely with foil and let it sit at least 30 mins to an hour or so, then pull it.  

18. rp ribking

rp ribking Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

5lakes, I take it to either 200*IT or 205* IT

19. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Pretty much what Cavey said.

Bear

20. sqwib

sqwib Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Foil Ribs in steamer pan for the 2 of the 3-2-1 method.

For PP, Butts come off at 195-205 wrapped and placed in cooler up to 2 hours, then removed from cooler foil is vented open till temp evens out a bit, If I get a lot of steam being released, I will close up the foil a bit.