Wrapping Boston Butts

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

swamp

Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Chapin, SC
I have a relatively large smoker. I can smoke about 33 butts @ one time. I am self taught(probably like most of us). We do 2 fundraisers per year and during them, may cook up to 110 butts per fundraiser. One thing that has been a bit of a problem is the wrapping. I was told by the smoker manufacturer that wrapping them one time was sufficient (after the unwrapped smoke time). I have learned to wrap them 5 times in heavy duty foil to prevent any of the juice from leaking out. Still, I have to pay attention to any 'sizzling noises' to alert me to a 'leaker', which will direct me to take it out and wrap again.
There has got to be a better way out there! This wrapping thing is very labor intensive and still not a perfect solution. Again, our finished product is really good, but the extra wrapping takes up room in the smoker etc.
Do you guys have any suggestions? Thanks

Are you using heavy duty foil? I buy Sam's Club heavy duty foil and I usually do a single wrap and don't have any leakers.

Generally we order our supplies from PYA or SYSCO which supply restaurants around here and we do use heavy duty foil. One issue is that we are cramming so much meat in the smoker that it is easy to tear and the crimped seams etc often are vertical and not horizontal like they would be if I was only smoking 15 or so.

Do you know if anyone uses Saran Wrap in the inside with foil as the outer seal? Seems like a good idea, but don't know if it would work or not. Thanks for answering, by the way. I appreciate it.

I do not, sorry.
icon_neutral.gif

I would wrap them in heavy duty foil once, then set it in a small tin. If it leaks a little, the tin will catch it. Buy them in packs of fifteen at Sam's or BJ's

Can you tell me how you wrap it? We have used the technique like you do if you are cooking a 'foil pack' with the scouts on the fire, with rolling and crimping the foil roll. Is that the best way? I know this may sound stupid, but I just feel like we are missing something or making this thing harder than it has to be. BTW, I have had 2 Jeeps...my last was a CJ-7, 1976 that was Dodge Viper Yellow. Yours reminds me of her. I miss that Jeep.

I just bought the big roll at Sam's also and just wrap it carefully so not to punture the foil and if I think I did I redo it again. Now I have never smoked 30 butts at a time. But I have never had a problem excapt I always grab to butt with my hands and one day I'll remember it's still really hot and use the gloves.

Swamp, I use the SAM's club heavy duty foil and when I'm ready to wrap I have the sheets cut and ready to go for how many butts I'm doing. I use two sheets per butt. I wrap one layer and then turn the butt 90 degrees and put another layer on. Sometimes still snag one thru the foil putting it back on the smoker. Wrapping is a pain with a lot of butts but having the foil per cut saves some time.

I have heard that Saran brand doesn't stand up well to the heat but the commercial plastic wrap from Sam's Club is OK. On another forum, there are some who use it with good results.

I usually foil around 170*. I cut my foil pieces ahead of time and lay the butt down so that it's narrowest part is between the edges of the foil. I then make kind of a canoe of it, pour in some liquid (usually pineapple juice), and finish wrapping it. I then crimp the edges. When the butt hits 205*, I will wrap it one more time to cover the hole from the temp probe before resting in a cooler. Hopefully that makes sense.

I love that Jeep and doubt I could ever sell it unless it was an incredible offer.
biggrin.gif

I take my butts to 205* then wrap and put in the cooler
I do not wrap them in the smoker just spritz with apple juice several times during the smoke and again when I foil them for the cooler.
you may want to give it a try for less labor intesive smoke.
I have found that the quality of the pulled pork is no different or even a little better due to better bark than when you foil while smoking

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky