Would you smoke this Brisket??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

graphicsman

Meat Mopper
Original poster
May 25, 2011
Nashville, TN
I know many on here talk about trimming their own brisket but i was not able to find any threads in regards to using PRE-trimmed brisket.  I never have done brisket and would like to use this as more of a test run for my rubs on brisket BUT i dont want to go this route if the output would be totally different if i trimmed my own.  I was wondering if someone could educate me on the pros and cons with using this?  

Photo from your favorite sams club  
biggrin.gif

88a2dbb3_Picture001.jpg

Those look like they are trimmed very close or is the fat on the bottom? Looks like it is marbled pretty well though. Briskets take a long time to smoke. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours a pound. You would want about a 1/4" thick layer of fat to help it stay moist during the long smoke. Foiling it with some broth or juice will help keep it moist as well but it won't get as much smoke when it's wrapped in foil.

I couldnt see the bottom and debated on the foil, like you said, im not really getting a smoke.  I thought of spraying it about every hour but then i would loose a lot of smoke and it could take forever to get all the meat done.  

I bought one of those pretrimmed flates a few weeks ago. It was not trimmed that close but it came out just great...If it does not have a cap on the other side you could add some fat to it...

Graficsman, that would be a quicket cooking cut than a Packer,being there is little to no fat,but still track it for overdoness and wrap in Bacon if you want(just no Bark). I don't inject,but you may want to here,I just don't want holes for juice to leak from,and being it already has no fat,will dry quicker. 

They are cheaper as a Packer cause the Butcher didn't get his time on it to increase price.

f0aa9efe_Betty004.jpg
  I just like
drool.gif
doing whole Packers.

Have fun and............

Reactions: jacob622
I'll bet there is some fat on the bottom.  Rub it, smoke it, and if you don't like it, don't buy another one like that.

Good luck and good smoking.

how can you tell where the direction of the grain is going??  I know this may sound like a dumb question to some but i want to make sure to do this right.

The grain of a flat is pretty easy to tell,  you will see striations or creases in the surface of the meat.

You can also tell by slicing a little piece and see how if pulls apart.  If the slice pulls apart in strings you are 90 degrees off on your slice.  If the slice itself breaks kind of up and down you are probably right on. 

If you are cooking like a normal brisket just layer some bacon on top or if you can get some fat using butcher string to tie it will work good too.

I say SMOKE IT !   looks good to me , I'll bet there is some fat on the bottom , and if not ...looks marbled enough

and if not ....I'll send ya my address Ya can send it to me !  Let me know how it comes out , I wanna try one myself I see um all the time at the store .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky