Would like to smoke a 4.5 pound cut brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Diocarn

Original poster
Dec 29, 2020
Hi there

Got this 2kg/4.5lb piece of brisket.
Is it still possible to smoke it, with favourable results or am I wasting my time and can't be done.
If smoking is a possibility, any links or advice other then the recommended smoking methods would be greatly appreciated.
Happy new year!

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_050302771.jpg
    PXL_20201230_050302771.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20201230_050249464.jpg
    PXL_20201230_050249464.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 23
Looks like a Point Cut, the BEST part of the Brisket! Keeping it simple will yield a great result. Points make outstanding Pastrami as well. No different than any other Brisket. Low and Slow until Probe Tender...JJ

Looks like a Point Cut, the BEST part of the Brisket! Keeping it simple will yield a great result. Points make outstanding Pastrami as well. No different than any other Brisket. Low and Slow until Probe Tender...JJ
That's great, thought smoking would be out of the question due to a lot of the fat being exposed and losing the moisture after a low and slow cook.
Looking forward to trying it for NYE.
THANK YOU

OR, you can try "hot and fast" which works as well or better than low and slow.
Cook at 350 for around 5.5 hours, wrapping at the 2.5/3 hour mark.
Along with or instead of probing for tenderness again and again, pick it up and jiggle it, it if shakes like jello, it's done.
Don't place in a cooler after pulling from the cooker as it will continue to cook, known as "carry over" cooking and will be overdone.
I've done a lot of briskets low and slow, the slowest taking 22 hours, with quite a few at 275 taking 12 and I am a convert to hot and fast, both from the reduced time spend driving the smoker AND the way the meat responds to it.

The point is my favorite part of the brisket. I'm sure some purists will argue with that but for me, it's hard to go wrong with a point. Enjoy it!!

That's great, thought smoking would be out of the question due to a lot of the fat being exposed and losing the moisture after a low and slow cook.
Looking forward to trying it for NYE.
THANK YOU

You are welcome. Just be aware, Brisket Points can be very Fatty. If you or your guests are Lean Meat eaters, they will be disappointed with the meal.
That said, it IS the high amount of Fat and Collagen, that gives the Point it's intense Beefy flavor and unctuous mouth feel...JJ

Points are my favorite part of the brisket. They can fool ya, though, and probe tender WAAAAY before they are done. Probe against the grain from the side. And since they are so fatty, they can go to some pretty high finishing temps (210F+) and still be fantastic. You don't have to worry about overcooking a point. They are the pork butts of beef.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky