Wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nnwold

Original poster
Mar 9, 2008
Hi,

New to the forum and fairly inexperienced smoker here. I just trimmed our apple tree and would like to use the wood to smoke chicken and ribs. Can I use the very small ends of the branches, or is that too much bark compared to wood? I've only used pre-packaged chips before, and would like to use the apple wood. Would appreciate any additional advice on using fresh cut wood also-drying, soaking, etc.

Thanks, Norm

I think it may be better to use the "woody parts" as opposed to the green sappy stuff. I would worry about tar and creosote build up. It would help to know what kind of smoker you are using. If it is a stick burner, I doubt it would matter unless you are chucking the box full of the stuff, but if it is a smaller model that you just add chunks or chips too, I think I would at least make sure that the twigs are dry, not green. Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm not sure what a "stick burner" is but I'm using a Brinkman smoke 'n grill. How long do we let green branches dry out before using?

This is a stick burner!

I have one of what you have too, a charcoal burner

I would say that if you can keep the branches out of the rain for a week or two, should be good to go!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky