wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cleanbbqdave

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 3, 2021
Hey fellow NJ smokers,
I'm looking for a good wood supplier, I have tried a couple and not impressed.
One guy didn't let me see water content the other was expensive but gave a good product.
I'm wondering if anyone has a good wood supplier they can share?

My advice would be to contact local tree trimming companies and see what they have to offer. I live in PA and I've had good luck with tree trimming businesses and found that getting wood from them in the beginning of the year works out best because you can season the wood on your racks and by the time the fall comes people have bought up a lot of wood for the winter.

Reactions: PPG1 and smokerjim
My advice would be to contact local tree trimming companies and see what they have to offer. I live in PA and I've had good luck with tree trimming businesses and found that getting wood from them in the beginning of the year works out best because you can season the wood on your racks and by the time the fall comes people have bought up a lot of wood for the winter.
was just typing the same thing. also check local orchards

Reactions: Paulie Walnuts 440
Hahahahah too funny Jim..Ya I also have bought wood from local orchards as you'll find fruit woods to smoke with there..

Finding properly aged hardwood like oak, pecan and hickory is next to impossible these days.
Seems everybody is a backyard pittmaster and every other cook shack sells Q.
Finding cooking wood that is not properly aged is easy, chainsaw pilots don't know or care what 14% moisture means.
Now I look for deadfall or badly diseased/borer killed oak.
I love finding a live oak bore critter still munching through a tunnel, they look like a sci-fi cartoon critter.

Reactions: Paulie Walnuts 440
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky