Wood smoking a cured ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bixter1

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 8, 2007
I saw a bunch of posts on drying and smoking ham at low temps (120). I have a wood burning smoker and I don't think I can keep the temperature that low. I can probably get it around 140 but I haven't tried 120 yet. Also I have NO clue how I would dry a ham at 120 for 8 hours with no smoke. My home oven only goes down to 200.

I was thinking I would air dry for 2 hours, keep the fire as low as possible and smoke it until it hit 152 close to the bone.

Any ideas what I can do?

-Bix

Might want to shoot Dadcots a PM...if my memory servers me correctley he knows all things about Hams. If not I'm sure somone who knows will chime in
wink.gif

Link to pm(private message) Dadcots......

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forums/member.php?u=24

Hop on over to Roll Call so folks can give ya a proper welcome if you like!!

I think i have somethings figured out. I have my gas grill set to 120 outside and am drying it that way. The smoking part will be a challenge. Ill shoot Dadocts a PM in the meantime and will let you all know what happens.

bixter

is this a store bought ham if so put into the smoker at 225-250 and smoke it until you get a temp of 152 like you said it will be fine i am gonna do 2 hams for x mas they turn out great good luck

Hey salmonclubber - do you put anything on your hams before putting them in?

bixter1 - I don't think doing it as low as 120 is necessary if you're talking about cooking it - if you want to intentionally dry it out though, then yes. what kind of ham are you starting with and what do you want to end up with?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky