Wood Smoker Modifications

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

adiochiro3

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Apr 19, 2010
Bay Area, CA
So I've gleaned a lot of great information about my newest addition to the family -- a 16 inch wood smoker. I've used Weber kettles, graduated to a Brinkman charcoal model and acquired a nice New Braunfels upright charcoal smoker last year.

Recently, my neighbor hauled this offset firebox smoker to the curb as trash! Much to my wife's chagrin, I grabbed it and began restoring it. The image below is the unit nearly restored.

moz-screenshot.png

As I cruised this site learning how to use this smoker, I found and adopted Dutch's modifications.

Then I got to thinking, "Why can't I attach the New Braunfel's to the new wood smoker?" Answer: I could -- and did! First, I had to cut matching holes in both smokers.

Then I decided to bolt them together rather than weld them, just in case things didn't work out. I also had to fabricate a cap for the original chimney to force the smoke into the upright portion.

I can attach a piece of sheet metal between the smokers with two wing nuts and use either one individually if I wish. I fabricated grates and got ready to season it today.

Here is the finished version of what I now call "Grillestate."

After seasoning today, I decided I had to make dinner. It turns out that the temp in the upright is very low -- perfect for jerky, cheese, probably trout, etc. I have a bit of a learning curve and some tweaking on heat management with this rig, but I think I'm going to be quite pleased with the grillestate and flexibility this set up allows.

looking good so far if ya want more heat in the upright you might have to vent it to help pull a draft
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

you are right about that, morkdach; the heat in the upright is very low -- great for cheese and jerky, probably trout as well. the beauty is that I can use the upright as a stand alone or supplement heat with charcoal in the original burn bowl at the bottom.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky